Oil level?

ohmyaudi

Reaction score
Just checked my oil level and there's only the tiniest blob of oil at the very bottom of the dipstick. Had it serviced a few months ago and had no warnings on the car, surely that can't be right?!

No it’s not normal. Get it back to the garage that did the service.
Did you check for oil underneath where you park it?

Did you check it after a run or was the car settled and not started in a while? It can take a while for the oil to drain in back into the sump after it has been ran.

roughly between max and min on the dipstick is around 1 litre. So depending on your mileage/driving style in that period it can burn that much. Remember my mate had a Subaru in the late 90s and he was told by the dealer that it is acceptable for it consume 7 litres between services(10k) and till it goes over that Subaru isn’t interested in a warranty claim. Car was costing as much in oil as it was petrol.
Not sure what is Audi’s stance on this but would think it’s at least a couple of litres between service.

Reactions: Lehn
No oil anywhere below the car. Car has no warnings at all which is bizarre. And I checked when cold and not been driven in a day. I've immediately gone to Halfords to get some oil

We have always found if you have an interim service at Audi, the car needs oil 6 months later (based Diesel engines)... have a major and it won’t need oil until the next service. It’s happened a good 3/4 times for us, it seems as if they fill it less on an interim but I don’t see why on earth they would.

No oil anywhere below the car. Car has no warnings at all which is bizarre. And I checked when cold and not been driven in a day. I've immediately gone to Halfords to get some oil
You do know you're supposed to be checking the oil when hot a few mnutes after switching off the engine don't you?. The oil level is obviously going to read lower when cold as no thermal expansion has taken place.

You do know you're supposed to be checking the oil when hot a few mnutes after switching off the engine don't you?. The oil level is obviously going to read lower when cold as no thermal expansion has taken place.
As per the manual I am checking when the engine is cold.

Reactions: Lehn
I normally check mine while it’s warm ish. Get home from work or something and leave car for an hour or so then check and top up screenwash if necessary. Shouldn’t vary that much to be at the bottom of the dipstick or top.
At least the a3/s3 has a dipstick which I prefer, the a6 has an electronic one that you check in the MMI. It can vary between halfway between min and max every day and during the day so it was difficult to tell how much to shove in.

To be honest, hot or cold it shouldn’t just about touch the bottom of the dipstick

Reactions: ohmyaudi
i dont even have a dipstick i have to rely on that computer to tell me... but it cant tell you when its overfilled :wtf:

Reactions: oli356
i dont even have a dipstick i have to rely on that computer to tell me... but it cant tell you when its overfilled :wtf:
It should. My a6 was overfilled by the dealers and it flagged it on the DIS after like 15miles then Audi assist came out and sucked best part of a litre out.

It's exactly like this on my A5 (no dipstick to check the oil) the mmi tells me to wait a couple of minutes, then it shows the level. I tried it cold straight after the service and also again hot after a drive...both said the same!