Oil Level Sensor

Renox

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wondering does the S3 8V have an oil sensor like the S4? The S4 used to advise when to add 1L of oil when it needed, does the S3 have the same thing or is it just the basic dipstick check?

Cheers

Renox

Nope.. just dipstick.

The A3 platform has an oil sensor and a traditional dipstick, and will warn you when your level is low. The A4 has a level display on the MMI, an electronic dipstick if you like, as well as a low level warning.

Reactions: N.J.H
Cheers for the replies, was just curious as the Audi garage has said to leave the oil alone until the top up light comes up on the dash (I assume that 1ltr light you was on about).

Oil has been changed 2000 miles ago and is in the middle of the dipstick, I assume this is normal, also when topping up what oil would I use? I’be been told it’s
EDGE PROFESSIONAL LONGLIFE III 5W-30

Cheers for the replies, was just curious as the Audi garage has said to leave the oil alone until the top up light comes up on the dash (I assume that 1ltr light you was on about).

Oil has been changed 2000 miles ago and is in the middle of the dipstick, I assume this is normal, also when topping up what oil would I use? I’be been told it’s

I would never leave it till light comes on. Check my oil every 2-3 weeks. It’s too late when light comes on you could be starving engine and oil pump of oil especially when cornering. It’s not exactly that much hardship checking oil, a minute or so.

Reactions: Khufu and Phutters
yes, waiting for light to come on isnt wise. The light is more of a dire warning as opposed to a gentle reminder. This is especially true if your car has chain. Without sufficient lubrication the chain will stretch prematurely.

Reactions: AlS3BE
When looking at the dipstick it’s just under half way between low and high, would you recommend adding a bit of oil???

(the oil was changed 2000 miles ago)

When looking at the dipstick it’s just under half way between low and high, would you recommend adding a bit of oil???

(the oil was changed 2000 miles ago)

normally keep mine between half way and full and top up when it gets close to half way.

If you do top it up be careful, I noticed a few weeks back on my A5 (mmi display only, no dipstick) that the oil was showing 6 out of 8 bars, I left it for a couple of weeks because in the past it's suddenly gone back to full again! However, I looked again the other day after a run/cool down and it was still on 6/8, so without thinking I got the litre out of the boot and started to top up, as I was doing it I realised I was going in blind!!! So I stopped and checked to see how much it takes from min-max and it's only 1ltr :blink: it also gave a warning that if it's too full a warm nig will come up saying not to start the car!!! Not knowing how much I'd put in I poured the rest out into a measuring jug, luckily I'd only put in 330ml, so I left it a while and then started the engine and checked, no warnings and showing on the car and app:

Lucky

I was a bit worried and started it a few times over the following 24 hours and I've been on a couple of good runs out in the car, I was lucky! Note to self :rtfm::whistle2:

EDIT* Where in the country are you mate? I have a 100% sealed oil for S3 8V, if you're close you can have it.

This is what came with my 2015 S3 8V
Oil1
Oil2

Last edited:
Hey sorry for the slow reply had my hands full that refused to start, and is this definitely the correct oil for the engine?

I’ve seen multiple people say it’s 5w-40 and others say it’s 5w-30 like the one sent above?

Cheers

5-30w. And just looking at my nov ‘17 edition of the handbook (which doesn’t mention what viscosity to use, and tries to scare you by saying you can ONLY add a MAXIMUM of 1l of oil ONCE between official changes in an EMERGENCY, despite saying consumption can be 0.5l/1000km ) it says to add 0.5l from the low marker, then wait 2 minutes and check again, adding “a smaller amount” if not up to max.

Reactions: S32B