Oil Level Sensor (Yellow Oil Can on dash)

A noddy

Reaction score
Hi Guys, i am having problems with my 2003 audi A4 2.4 v6 Cabriolet. The yellow oil can Sensor recently flashed up so i checked the oil which was ok. Reading a few posts on line assured me that it is the level sensor so most probably a dodgy sensor. As changing the sensor would involve dropping the oil, i waited a couple of weeks and did a full oil change.

I purchased a sensor from GSF and fitted the new one. Problem is still there !!!!! I reset all the codes with VCDS but the light is coning back on. The annoying thing is that it seems to come on after about 5 mins of driving and one day it never came on at all (this was a good day).The wires and the connector all looked ok so no reason for me to think this was the problem.

Someone suggested the fuse but a checked all the ones in the side of the dashboard, is there another fuse box?

Ill check the wiring to see if its worn anywhere.

This is the codes im getting on VCDS
Address 17: Instruments Labels: 8E0-920-9xx-8E2.lbl
Part No: 8H0 920 950 A
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. RB4 D02
Coding: 00401
Shop #: WSC 25042
VCID: 2A5F5DE9D6D9E3485F8
WAUZZZ8H63K004328 AUZ6Z0B0130901

2 Faults Found:
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
29-00 - Short to Ground
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
27-00 - Implausible Signal

could it be at the bonnet catch
i know they work from there aswell

Did you check the wiring leading to the sensor? I had an intermittent dash light on mine a couple of years ago for oil level and it turned out to be damaged wiring and slight corrosion on connectors, never replaced the sensor itself but had the wiring replaced and it's has never shown its face since.

Ill have a look at the bonnet catch as it was throwing a fault code aswell.

cheers

Hi i had same issue on my 2007 a4 2.0 170 bhp low oil light on (orange) oil was new and full ( MAKE SURE IT IS FULL) !!! easy order to fix
1: look at fuse 5 10amp make sure not blown( or goin bad / brown inside replace with good one)
redface.png
pen bonnet sray degreaser all around bonnet lach and use small swrewdriver and paper cloth clean ALL dirt an muck off even push lach into closed possion to get to other areas when fully cleaned spray with some sillicon lube or penatrating spray wd40 all latch( i came to the thought that maybe the latch contact links in with the sensors earth circuit ) there for dirt wont let it contact breakin the loop.
If not cured it
3: dissconect batt poss and neg for 20 mins to force computer into reboot
4: take out oil level sensor clean with elec contact spray replace and make sure plug wire is free from dirt.
5: STILL ON new sensor
6: make sure no fault codes on VAG-COM or AUDI £££$$$

Oooft sorry i forgot all about this thread, I replaced the new aftermarket part i bought with a Genuine Audi Part and hey prsto no more oil light. cheaper on this occasion cost me a good few litres of oil and lots of heartache. The Parts guy in Audi says this happens a lot with that sensor. thanks

Looks like I'm doing this job at the weekend. What was the price of the Audi parts vs the GSF part?

Is the sensor in the sump the ONLY oil sensor that can trigger the "OILCAN sensor" warning??

Not sure, it was about 40 quid more not sure about the oil can mines only gave an oil level warning.
The genuine part includes a temp sensor or something built-in that the gsf one didn't have .
Good luck !

Cheers.

Found this on ebay with an Audi logo on at half the price of GSF and the STEALERSHIP - http://tinyurl.com/znouyrx

Will check that part number against the one that's currently in the car as it looks like early 2003 cars had one with B suffix and later cars got one with a C suffix.

Does anyone know if there's a separate oil pressure sensor?

Hi all had this issue on my a4 2.0 tdi B7 with a yellow light as an oil can and sensor. I found another link to this and it was fuse #5 ..which is located in the panel on the end of the driver side dash ( open door and the end of dash pops off) it was a red 10 amp mini blade fuse. Replaced this and it still showed up, so disconnected battery for a few seconds and connected earth back on started car and it stayed off [https://www] please check this fuse before buying a new sensor! ..Please note ESP light may come on Tash after disconnecting the battery , however drive straight for 100vft or so and this will go back off ..hope this helps someone

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Hi all had this issue on my a4 2.0 tdi B7 with a yellow light as an oil can and sensor. I found another link to this and it was fuse #5 ..which is located in the panel on the end of the driver side dash ( open door and the end of dash pops off) it was a red 10 amp mini blade fuse. Replaced this and it still showed up, so disconnected battery for a few seconds and connected earth back on started car and it stayed off [https://www] please check this fuse before buying a new sensor! ..Please note ESP light may come on Tash after disconnecting the battery , however drive straight for 100vft or so and this will go back off ..hope this helps someone

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="Hello there
That exactly happened, ESP light come on Tash after disconnecting the battery but ones i drive 50 meters and turn engine off and on again light for low oil preasutre shows again. Perhaps i din not drive "straight for 100vft or so" - what actually "100vft" means?
Thanks in advance.
My car is audi a3 2.0tdi quattro 125kw 2009 (facelift)

My S4 had the oil level sensor warning come on 2 weeks after I done an oil service! Found out that the oem sensor on my S4 was made by hella so just got one ordered direct from hella for less than half the price from audi. Absolutely identical apart from the new one had the audi stamp ground off from the metal. Most annoying thing was having to do another oil change after only 2 weeks