Oil Level on Dispstick? Not clear!

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I am a bit stuck checking my oil level of my engine.

I have checked the oil level many times before but I am a bit confused this time.

When I pull the dipstick out and clean it and put it back in there is NO obvious line.

However the area where the markings is has oil on it but not a lot.

My gut instinct here is this is very low oil and the oil on the dipstick is just residual oil in the area but not enough to make a clear marking.

But if add oil and I am wrong then I will overfill the engine.

Anyone able to advise?

I tried this and I am not sure I saw any difference - which leads me to believe that the engine oil is so low it needs a lot more.

But again not sure about over doing it...

From my previous experience there should be an obvious marking on the dipstick - but I can’t see one but it doesn’t look like its drenched in oil either!

Shouldn’t it be covered with enough oil that its obvious.

Because I look at it and its just damp really.

Reactions: pburv
That's right but if its that low adding 50mls at a time you shouldn't overfill it. Also you know this but on flat ground

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

41a7deda389d2a3cd41cdfdd5665d5fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your car on level ground when you are checking?

Reactions: 8YARWY
I watched a load of videos - and I have never had issue checking the oil before.

My issue was that Audi told me it was low and gave the car back to me.

However I found a breakdown assist van stopped where I was so I asked them and they said it was full
(looking more like that photo above).

I watched a load of videos - and I have never had issue checking the oil before.

My issue was that Audi told me it was low and gave the car back to me.

However I found a breakdown assist van stopped where I was so I asked them and they said it was full
(looking more like that photo above).
I'm surprised Audi didn't offer to top it up for you rather than just informing you.

Reactions: JohnM100 and 8YARWY
Get the engine to running temp, park on level ground, turn off & leave it 5 mins. Pop the bonnet & remove dip stick, wipe it clean, stick it in & count to 3, remove & check level. Now repeat a couple of times to make sure your not going mad. Lower to upper limit is 1L if I'm not mistaken so top up as necessary with missing quantity.

The above is what I would do to be sure your checking is correct before adding any oil.

Reactions: AdamInKent, AlS3BE and pburv
Looking at that picture above, I'd say the oil level was on the M of MAX. You can clearly see where the oil stops. Mind you as someone else said, very clean oil.

If there was only a car company with fair dealers and good service it would be a miracle...

Are you sorted with your oil level now?:icon thumright:

Hilarious thread. Such a simple thing can be confusing to some. Warm and newish oil readily drains off the dipstick (the calibrated part). Repeated tries just stir up the oil in the well and confuse the reading.
Allow the oil to cool down to ambient. Volume does not vary much in the well with temperature, even so what is useful is a relative indication. Remove dipstick and wipe clean, only once. Reinsert dipstick and observe quickly before oil begins to drain. Do not repeat. Simple.

Hilarious thread. Such a simple thing can be confusing to some. Warm and newish oil readily drains off the dipstick (the calibrated part). Repeated tries just stir up the oil in the well and confuse the reading.
Allow the oil to cool down to ambient. Volume does not vary much in the well with temperature, even so what is useful is a relative indication. Remove dipstick and wipe clean, only once. Reinsert dipstick and observe quickly before oil begins to drain. Do not repeat. Simple.

I’m waiting on the where does the petrol go followed by screen wash etc

I’m waiting on the where does the petrol go followed by screen wash etc

Funny and true story this one.. It's by no means aimed at the OP.:icon thumright:
A few years ago just after I left school. A very close mate of mine managed to get an apprenticeship with our local council. On his first day he was tasked with checking all vehicles in the compound making sure all the fluids are up to scratch. He was left to his own devices and carried on with a spring in his step. A job well done he thought. lol
The following day he was called to the office and asked how he went about his task..... Apparently two vehicles had extreme difficulty starting in the morning.
He told them that he filled all the vehicles with oil and checked water levels.
What he had done was fill all the vehicles to the brim (rocker cover)!!:hopelessness::hopelessness::hopelessness:
They kept him on. He is now head of highways inspection with our council:scared2:
So yes checking oil (correctly) can be a challenge.:whistle2:

41a7deda389d2a3cd41cdfdd5665d5fe.jpg

Never seen a dipstick like that.

Admittedly the 8V dipstick isn’t always easy to read but that one is a ‘mare. 8L easy to read assuming the yellow plastic dipstick tube hadn’t disintegrated.

Always check in consistent circumstances. I check on flat driveway after overnight cool down before first start, though others have different views.

Reactions: pburv and 8YARWY
Never seen a dipstick like that.

Admittedly the 8V dipstick isn’t always easy to read but that one is a ‘mare. 8L easy to read assuming the yellow plastic dipstick tube hadn’t disintegrated.

Always check in consistent circumstances. I check on flat driveway after overnight cool down before first start, though others have different views.

Never had a problem checking oil in any vehicle.
As you say when checking you do need to be careful as cold to warm there’s an expansion of the oil that will change the reading.