Oil level on a 2010 A5 2.0 TDI?

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
Hi guys

I know there's load threads on oil levels but I really need a bit of confirmation as it's my nephew's car and it's a bit far from me.

Ok so , the car has a message on the dash saying that the oil is low and to add a maximum of 1L.

The same message is displayed on the centre screen if I try and check the levels and does not show the bars that let you know how much oil is in there.

I tried checking with vcds and it shows the oil level as 71.x mm.

So far just under 1l has been added but the message has not gone.

I tried adding a bit more but I don't want to over fill it.

Now something I noticed was that there was no indication on the dash that the bonnet was open only the doors.

I'm thinking it could be the bonnet switch that's playing up.

Is the plug for the bonnet switch easy to get to as I'm thinking that as it's only 2 wires that goes to this switch, I could just unplug it and plug it back in to make it check the oil level?

Also is there anything in vcds I could do to make it check the oil level (maybe a service reset) ?

Bonnet switch is the problem, the switch comes with a new catch so just replace the whole thing. It takes about 10 minutes to do, of course you can cut the wires and join them to fool it into thinking the bonnet it shut, but its better to just replace it.