Oil Level Low - Audi S3

quattrorally

Reaction score
Hi guys.

bought my car in January at 32k miles.

have done 4k miles up until today and the oil level light came on.

It was serviced by Audi in January 2019 and April 2018.

Does the below screenshot show whether the oil was changed? Is 4k before an oil change is required normal?

d39f86ce974bff4cd75a2d4c533f0e8a.jpg

I have the approved used warranty...how do I go about keeping it without getting bent over with a massive bill for an oil change from the dealership? Do Audi still price match Indy's if the right part is used? Does anyone know what part it is for a 2016 Audi S3 PFL?

thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You said the oil level light came on - right? That doesn’t mean you need an oil change, just get some oil and top it up.
However, if the oil was changed 4K miles ago I wouldn’t expect the warning light to come on now.
Might be worth talking to the dealer who did the last oil change.

Reactions: quattrorally
what oil do people recommend? is there a specific one I should use to prevent warranty from being void?

Any oil of the correct grade and VW 504/507 spec.
Oil is oil.....it doesn't matter what the brand is, but I have always had a preference for Castrol.

My light came on a couple of months ago which is around a similar interval since oil was changed (October) so I think it's OK. Just top up with up to 1 litre of oil and should be ok for a while (mine hasn't come back on again)

My light came on a couple of months ago which is around a similar interval since oil was changed (October) so I think it's OK. Just top up with up to 1 litre of oil and should be ok for a while (mine hasn't come back on again)

hmm, that makes me less worried then.

maybe it's the driving style? I'm in dynamic sports mode all the time pretty much..sometimes manual too.

Reactions: RS03_SEN
Sure it is fine, but in my S3 when I had it I never had a low warning light, had my service at around 16k miles and when it was sold on 23k, no light had ever come on. Never came on between the 6k when I bought it and that service as well. I believe 5W-30 is the oil recommended on the castrol website

Correct but someone said if you use 5W-40 it'll never go down, not sure how true that is as I've not tried it myself

Always regularly check your oil level. Running low on oil especially on a turbo car can be catastrophic.
If you think when you corner hard with the car the oil pickups might not be able to pick up oil for the engine and turbo.
Mine gets checked weekly or almost every time I fill the car. Takes seconds and could save thousands of pounds.

Reactions: Pinky1959
I always check the oil on our cars when washing them and topping up the washers , that way I don't forget.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Forgot to add over the first 9k of my s3 I’ve used around 200ml possibly less. I don’t hang about either.

Always regularly check your oil level. Running low on oil especially on a turbo car can be catastrophic.
If you think when you corner hard with the car the oil pickups might not be able to pick up oil for the engine and turbo.
Mine gets checked weekly or almost every time I fill the car. Takes seconds and could save thousands of pounds.

I've learnt my lesson...you'd think the light coming on still has some safety margin though right?

I've learnt my lesson...you'd think the light coming on still has some safety margin though right?

I wouldn’t count on it but better than no warning I guess

hmm, that makes me less worried then.

maybe it's the driving style? I'm in dynamic sports mode all the time pretty much..sometimes manual too.

My oil level light came on about 400 miles before my service was due and I drive fast 99% of the time. You must have been absolutely hammering yours! Ha!

Sure it is fine, but in my S3 when I had it I never had a low warning light, had my service at around 16k miles and when it was sold on 23k, no light had ever come on. Never came on between the 6k when I bought it and that service as well. I believe 5W-30 is the oil recommended on the castrol website

just put in 5w30 Castrol Edge LL. will see how she goes.

Halfords even price matched Tesco for me.

Reactions: Adam14
So after reading this thread I’m guessing you’ve never checked the oil on your car since you bought it? :laughing: