Oil level gauge??!!

larbel

Reaction score
This just popped up at another forum, someone who has a '17 S3 apparently has oil level gauge on the MMI service & check?? Never even heard of this one PFL or FL, @DJAlix any idea??

Mmi 0b18f1b7ed463b82c2f0ffb409ec6ab97bc86ad4

I saw the same posting and that was a pic from his Audi salesman. Who methinks, that the sales dude has Audi models mixed up. Every reply on that site states no oil level display on 8V chassis A3 models.

its not accurate the majority of the time anyway

This just popped up at another forum, someone who has a '17 S3 apparently has oil level gauge on the MMI service & check?? Never even heard of this one PFL or FL, @DJAlix any idea??

View attachment 160387
Thats not an A3/s3/RS3 as the MQB does not have the hardware needed for this feature. Also, look where the screen meets the dash, you cannot see the removable trim / cover.

Thats not an A3/s3/RS3 as the MQB does not have the hardware needed for this feature. Also, look where the screen meets the dash, you cannot see the removable trim / cover.

In a polite way, I answered saying that the salesman may be in a different car.. Sadly the OP on the other forum seemed to not like that result. Thank you for confirming my educated guess for our platform!

Reactions: TYb
Probably a Q7 with that silver trim at the top of the MMI screen.

On the A3 it can be enabled however it just sits there saying oil level will be available in 2 mins

10 minutes later it says the same thing.

The car does know how much oil in millimetres is present because it can be viewed in VCDS.

If the MMI is meant to know when more oil is required*, then surely there is some sensor to measure how much there is?

*because according to Audi the oil interval will change and isn't just a static number.

If the MMI is meant to know when more oil is required*, then surely there is some sensor to measure how much there is?

*because according to Audi the oil interval will change and isn't just a static number.
The oil quality sensor that tells you when an oil change is needed is different, I believe that only measures the quality/viscousity of oil not volume.

There’s will be a sensor somewhere, otherwise you wouldn’t get a low oil warning light

The oil quality sensor that tells you when an oil change is needed is different, I believe that only measures the quality/viscousity of oil not volume.

There’s will be a sensor somewhere, otherwise you wouldn’t get a low oil warning light

The A3 has an oil level high and low alarm only. No continuous oil level measurement, no oil quality sensor.

If there’s no oil quality sensor then how does variable servicing work then?
Oil analysis, is very complex, difficult and beyond economic viability to fit to mass produced bread and butter model cars. What would it measure and how do you define 'oil quality'?

As discussed numerous times, the car logs a whole host of data on journeys, the number, length, cold starts, every time you cane it etc. It then uses the data in an algorithm to work out likely oil contamination, remaining active additives, moisture content etc. and lets you know when one of the oil parameters is likely to be going out of the required spec and will need to be changed.

Short journeys ragging the a'rse out of the car from cold = short oil service interval.
Long motorway journeys = long oil service interval

If you can be bothered to read the manual it will also tell you why there is an oil level high alarm.

Reactions: MarttiMat