Oil leaks 2.5 TDI Engine

AvantQuattroUK

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just bought a poor condition 2004 2.5 TDI A4 Avant.

It has a few error codes and other issues.

One issue is the injector with needle issue. I took engine cover off to have a probe and found oil everywhere on left hand side.

What are peoples thoughts on where it might be coming from? Around the injector itself perhaps?
IMG 4655
IMG 4655

Yes those grommets around the injector harden over time and don't seal well any more - I've got leaks on both banks of mine from them.

Grommets are glued into the cam covers and aren't available separately, I'm looking for alternative methods of repair as replacements are in the 100's from Audi.

Reactions: AvantQuattroUK
You'll need the rocker covers off for the needle lift sensor anyway so gives you a chance to have a peak.

Whilst you do check over the cams.

Clean well around the injector seals and then get a small screwdriver to push a cloth right into the groove to clean it as well as possible. I use thinners on the cloth to remove as much of the oil as possible. Dry off well and get a fine nozzle to place gasket sealant into the groove and run a finger around to seal it. I did mine a couple of years ago and they are still dry. The leak off pipes to the injectors often perish and leak as well so check them also.

Yes those grommets around the injector harden over time and don't seal well any more - I've got leaks on both banks of mine from them.

Grommets are glued into the cam covers and aren't available separately, I'm looking for alternative methods of repair as replacements are in the 100's from Audi.
Thank you ..
Really useful to know. Irritating replacements can't be got .. I might be able to find replacement covers though.

You'll need the rocker covers off for the needle lift sensor anyway so gives you a chance to have a peak.

Whilst you do check over the cams.
Thank you, will do that. Guess I am looking for scoring?

Clean well around the injector seals and then get a small screwdriver to push a cloth right into the groove to clean it as well as possible. I use thinners on the cloth to remove as much of the oil as possible. Dry off well and get a fine nozzle to place gasket sealant into the groove and run a finger around to seal it. I did mine a couple of years ago and they are still dry. The leak off pipes to the injectors often perish and leak as well so check them also.
Nice one ... thank you! Sounds like a good solution. Will give it a try.