Oil Leaking From Here! What Is It?

Nick_db

Reaction score
Hi All!

After taking my airbox off for the first time I've noticed a leak that's clearly been going for a while.
Since I want to take matters into my own hands and change it would be useful if I could identify the part, I've posted a picture below.
So, for a 2007 S3 what cover is this and where is the best place to source a replacement gasket? Part numbers would help or simply pointing me to somewhere I can find the info myself!
Also, is this a simple remove / replace job or if I take those five bolts out do 30 sprung-loaded parts fire out? :sadlike:

Much Thanks... Nick!
20190625 184916

firstly, clean it all off and then drive around as normal and monitor it. if the oil residue comes back, you may be able to find the cause. If it doesn't come back, then put it down to old oil that wasn't cleared up in the past. It could well be a minor spill during a service.

I have a leak here too. I’ll get the part number for the o ring in the morning. But upon removing it I’ve noticed it appears to be weeping from the end plate where no seal or o ring is listed separately. I’ll break it open and look. Maybe just a case of a small bit of sealer to resolve. I’ll keep you updated what happens when I open it!

I would be interested to know how this goes, I went to Audi and they sold me a gasket that I've yet to change and I'd be rather annoyed if I'd paid out for something I didn't need!
Not to sound too dumb but what kind of sealant would you use to plug the leak?

I haven’t opened it yet but this has been sat in my shed...

64CA9CE4 03EB 405D BF52 E7F18D9743A2

See it’s leaking clearly from the joint. The o ring I bought seals the whole unit to the head and I can’t see a new seal for where the oil is coming from

Ok so no fear of 30 parts flying out inside. It’s pretty basic in there. I couldn’t see anything amiss so cleaned up the O-ring and mating surfaces and put a thin layer of sealant on before putting it all back together. I’m sorry to say it’ll be a while until I can test it as the car is off the road having a major overhaul.
4A01A731 69B8 4517 8680 4AF606A75545
4812DCD7 AC02 4C83 A445 D44ADD4530A5

Reactions: Nick_db