Oil Leak from upper rear of engine - AVF TDi

DanielJames

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've noticed an oil leak on the road where I park my car the past few weeks, and it's slowly getting worse... I had a look around the car and it seems to be coming from the upper rear of the engine under where the EGR plugs in. There's what seems to be a switch here (oil pressure switch?) that it possibly could be coming from.

I wondered if there are any common locations for oil leaks from the upper rear of the engine? It's clearly quite a decent leak if its getting enough momentum to run down the gearbox and hit the floor so I want to get it sorted.

I'll try and get some pictures up to better explain what the crack is, but if anyone knows any common areas that would be great.

Cheers
Dan

Evening dude I've fixed an oil / diesel leak from the top rear of my engine recently, I replaced the valve / rocker cover seal and also replaced the thin metal seal on the tandem pump.

Good morning, a lot of people say to replace with genuine but instead I got a gasket and black sealant from EuroCarParts and thinly coated it on both sides, then before fitting it I also added a bit more sealant on the cam humps at either end.
Hope this is of some help,

Good morning, a lot of people say to replace with genuine but instead I got a gasket and black sealant from EuroCarParts and thinly coated it on both sides, then before fitting it I also added a bit more sealant on the cam humps at either end.
Hope this is of some help,

You can't get the gasket on its own from what I've heard, you have to buy the entire rocker cover at once!

I will try the gasket first! Haha.

Cheers bud

I had a gasket replaced last year. Left it to my garage btw, but they certainly didn't replace the entire cover. They probably sourced from ECP as I know that's who they use. If I work on the car myself, I always use genuine Audi parts. If the garage does the work, uses non-genuine parts and the part fails, they sort it! As indeed they have had to once - a wheel bearing.

If your tandems leaked be sure to check your coolant hoses at the back.over time the diesel swells the hose like you wouldnt believe.and its easier to replace with the tandem off.
I know from experience.

Sorry for the noob question but what is the tandem?

I've replaced the rocker cover gasket and still have the leak. :(

I've had a look and I think I need to get the tandem pump checked.. it's a pump that does both fuel and vacuum yes? I have a vacuum leak I'm sure as my brakes are shocking when I'm in neutral so I'll have a look.

Finally got that tandem pump gasket replaced last night, what an awkward job that bottom bolt is! Still couldn't get on tight to get it in properly. Any tips to getting the ****** in? Everything seems in the way on a AVF!