Oil leak after rebuild

Geo07

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this but was hoping for some insight if possible. I have a 2008 a5 1.8 petrol.

Engine seized twice due to oil leak and required head skimmed, piston etc. Cost me a fortune on both occasions. However, there is still a leak. Not massive amount but drips on the road after sitting.

The leak on the road shows directly in middle when looking at car bonnet and dead centre of wheels.

I can go through half a litre when travelling 350 miles in one trip. But when day to day driving I dont seem to use too much.

I took it to garage as soon as I spotted it after last fix but they couldn't find it and no oil leaked when they had car.

I wouldn't take it back to them now.

I've also recently had a engine warning for the air intake manifold. Lost which code a garage gave me but adding this in incase it is relevant.

Does anyone have any ideas where the oil leak could be based on what I've said? Thank you very much for your help. Would love to fix it permanently depending on cost

Use a detergent and pressure washer to completely clean the engine and engine bay, then put the car up on a ramp, run the engine at several rpm and take a look from underneath to locate the oil leak(take all engine covers off, both top and bottom).
but center engine/center engine bay sounds like oil line turbo(feed on turbo, or return in oil pan) or oil pan bolt.

Thank you Bluepower.

You mention the oil line turbo. Prior to the second time the engine knackered the power to speed off was lacking and was quite slow which the garage told me was down to something related to the turbo.

The current warning light for something to with the inlet manifold got reset to test it. It popped back on the minute I put my foot through the accelerator to drive off at speed.

the inlet flap manifold warning light is not related to your oil loss problem, but a seperate issue(most likely the control arm of the flapper motor broken, but you'd need to see if you can get the specific fault code).
But if you have had 2 engine failures due to oil loss, then something is really wrong(who did the rebuild, and how long ago, maybe the mechanic forgot to torque down a bolt)

As an option, go to the service, because jokes with oil is a big problem. To accurately diagnose, but if the bolts just loosened up, that's not a problem. And what about your garage, it allows you to normally access the bottom?

If there are any problems, then I advise you to contact the professionals or do everything very carefully, as the guys stigaragedoor say - you need to always be careful and do everything exactly, otherwise you can’t avoid disaster, especially with regard to cars and similar things. Also with residential garage door installation, too.

Thanks for the responses. Still not managed to get it to a garage. Funds have been low but will take it in next month.

Travelled 600 miles and used half a litre as small trips less than 30 miles . However, was reversing and stalled . Straight away the oil level warning popped up. I moved the car forward a bit to check underneath. Found a large amount of oil on ground that must have been dumped during the stall. Around the centre of wheels. Strange.