Oil leak - 2.0tdi

chappers02

Reaction score
Hi,

Our car has started making a whistling noise which sounds like its coming from the rear passenger side of the engine. Has gone in to limp home mode a few times, especially when travelling 60-80 mph.

Our local garage has had a quick look and can't see any obvious split hoses - I have had a look and there is oil leaking from the place shown in the attached pics - I'd be grateful for any help as to whether this oil leak (perhaps a seal has gone?) could be the causing the noise.

Many thanks

mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 569
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 278
It looks like the oil is coming from the egr valve, the seals needs replacing but from what i can see from the pics the oil is coming from the egr valve inside in that case you might need to get a new one.

And for the whistle noise that could be from the turbo and specially when going to limp mode indicates the turbo is sticky

Hey, many thanks for your quick reply. I've had a look and the egr valve looks quite easy to change, so I'll have a go at that tomorrow!

if turbo is sticky, does that mean that it needs to be replaced?

What he means is that the variable vanes inside the turbo are not operating properly. These vanes are moved by an external vacuum actuator mechanism, and control the amount of boost pressure. If the vanes 'stick' (don't move) then you get an over-boost situation and thus a limp mode to protect the engine. Get the garage to check on the actuator mechanism to see if it does move properly. If it does not, then check on the vacuum feeder pipe. There is a strong possibility you will need the turbo serviced/cleaned or changed for a new or refurbished one.