OIL LEAK 1.8T SPORT CONVERTIBLE - From rear & top of engine?

stinkypete

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a new here and was really hoping someone out there may be able to shed some light on a mystery oil leak we have on my wife's car?
We took it to Audi and they wanted nearly £300 just to investigate the problem, so I took the car to a trusted mechanic who we have known for years.
He changed the rear brakes, MOT'd the car & even cured & found a coolant leak we have had for the last 6 months from the back of the engine & in the same area as the oil leak.
However, all his efforts to locate exactly where the leak is coming from have now drawn a blank (even after having the engine steam cleaned as good as new).
He replaced the rocker cover gasket and thought he had cured it, however after a short test drive, the leak has appeared again?
I will try to get some photos of the area, but in the mean time I will try to explain where it is.

Its high up on the rear of the engine. there is a metal pipe that kind of runs right around the engine to the oil filter and it is dripping ONTO that.
There appears to be a sensor on the top of the engine at the back, secured with 2 x star screws (possible cam sensor??), we believe its coming from under that or in that sort of area? Its so cramped for space behind there and even with the use of a small mirror we just cant pin point where its coming from?
Its not a pumping out leak, more of a slow trickle.

If anyone can help to shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to sell the car now and we want the peace of mind that the oil leak has been found.
Many thanks. :icon_thumright:

Stick up a couple of picture's of the area in question

It could just be a weak/weeping pipe.

If its from the area I think you're describing, then it sounds like the cam chain tensioner gasket? It sits below the cam cover gasket, which is why replacing that hasn't solved it.

It's a fairly common area for an oil leak from a 1.8t.

I need to change my cam chain tensioner soon, and I was told to change the gasket at the same time.

If its from the area I think you're describing, then it sounds like the cam chain tensioner gasket? It sits below the cam cover gasket, which is why replacing that hasn't solved it.

It's a fairly common area for an oil leak from a 1.8t.

I need to change my cam chain tensioner soon, and I was told to change the gasket at the same time.

Thank you for your help and I'm sorry its taken a while to reply.

Heres a few pics of the area that I believe the leak is from. I cannot get any closer pics of where the oil is leaking from, as I cannot get my camera into the space.

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

Did you manage to change your tensioner gasket? Is/was this an easy job to do?

Thanks again for your help.

Id agree with what the guys have said, ive done a few of these now, I personally don't enjoy doing these ,Ive never had one leak again after replacing the gasket, Special tool required to decompress the timing chain tensioner, I normally do the cambelt at the same time.

Id agree with what the guys have said, ive done a few of these now, I personally don't enjoy doing these ,Ive never had one leak again after replacing the gasket, Special tool required to decompress the timing chain tensioner, I normally do the cambelt at the same time.

So its a bit of a ball ache to do then? I know this may sound a stupid question, but am I correct in thinking the cambelt is at the rear of the engine?

(p.s Thank you for your post)

The cambelt is at the front of the engine, behind the plastic cover. From your pics, it does look like the cam chain tensioner gasket is the culprit, if you've checked the other pipes etc in that location.

It's quite a fiddly job to replace the gasket, and the tensioner has to be removed to get at it. The Audi guide to the job has both camshafts being removed and the cambelt etc, but there is a slightly quicker 'workaround'. The guide in the link below is the one I'm going to follow. It's for a Passat, but same engine.

How To: Replace 1.8t cam chain tensioner

As above, If i remember rightly its the base gasket for the vvt soleniod bridge that goes to the rear chain tensioner that leaks, I do normally decompress the chain at the rear when i do these, the tool can be bought from ebay ( not expensive ) as if you don't do it the cams can turn and cause the timing to be all out if your not carefull. I think also under the gasket there is a rubber half moon bung that also leaks and needs replacing at the same time.

Tooks & Quattro tony. Quite simply THANK YOU. I will get the car back to our mechanic forthwith armed with this info.

Happy new year.

Pete