Oil is completely black after 10k km

Asp3ct

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have a 2015 A3 8v 2.0 TFSI (not diesel) and I know that usually the diesels the oil turns pretty dark pretty quick, but for the regular gas engines, is it normal for the oil to be this dark (picture attached) after only 10k km?
20230112 151444

I can't seem to find much online. Mostly just forums about diesel VW's and Audi's.

Thank you!

On diesels the oil can turn black after just a few days. I've only owned a petrol for 3 weeks and before that had diesels for years so I'm not sure if it's "normal" but 10,000km is a fair distance between oil changes anyway. A lot of people change every 5,000 miles so ~8,000km.

Key thing to remember is an oil can naturally change colour just by doing its job properly in removing residues from inside the engine.

Reactions: Asp3ct
I was about to say is that a diesel car.

I would do the change out & check it periodically like every hundred or so miles to see how quickly it changes which would help identify if it's got an issue.

Reactions: Asp3ct
Yes, I usually do it around every 5k km but recently I've been so busy I didn't have time. Most likely I'll check it every 100 or 200km to see how quick it changes colour.

My s3 turns dark between services.
been like that since new. It’s not like the diesel oil going completely black but definitely darker than after an oil change.
always thought this was due to direct injection and high boost turbochargers.

Key thing to remember is an oil can naturally change colour just by doing its job properly in removing residues from inside the engine.
This. A good oil removes cr*p from the engine and keeps it in suspension in the oil, turning it darker. Better it's in the oil than stuck on the parts of your engine :)

Reactions: AlS3BE, 147bear and NHN
You could also think a good engine setup doesn't have that much crap to turn it black, as most petrol engines usually have a hint of golden colour still on oil changes, hence why it's good to check 100 miles or so later & subsequently also......

@NHN I definitely agree with you, but at the same time both can be true. We can only have so much control over what goes on in the engine, especially if a car isn't bought from new, so it can be a successful control exercise in an imperfect system.

Reactions: NHN
Hey guys,
So I have a 2015 A3 8v 2.0 TFSI (not diesel) and I know that usually the diesels the oil turns pretty dark pretty quick, but for the regular gas engines, is it normal for the oil to be this dark (picture attached) after only 10k km?
View attachment 262968

I can't seem to find much online. Mostly just forums about diesel VW's and Audi's.

Thank you!
Given the nature of the internal combustion engine, that filter doesn't look excessive.
With blow-by gases , vapors and other contaminated products in the combustion cycle that are recycled into the engine via the PCV , that is what i'd expect from a normal petrol engine oil filter to be honest.
Its an oil filter so designed to do exactly that , filter the oil , i'd be more inclined to check the oil rather than the filter .
After 10k miles that is exactly to be expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: 147bear
I carry out a filter and oil change at 5k miles max on my 2006 2.0tfsi engine which runs perfectly .
And use good quality oil .

look familiar and that half your milage.

Reactions: strtnz
I don't think I've never owned a car where an oil change hasn't looked like that, to be honest.

Hey guys,
View attachment 262968

Thank you!
In reality nowadays petrol is more nasty than diesel :) as diesel has many revisions filters and recirculations..