Oil Grade Confusion

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hoping I can get some clarification on the oil grade on the RS3. I’ve been using Millers Nano Drive 5W-30 up until now which is 504 without issue.

However on the recent service Audi threw a spanner in the works and said nope it needs 502 now, they still haven’t told me what grade 502 is I can’t get that out of them but I was told and shown 502 on the maintenance sheet they printed out on the last service.

The car has just been back in for an unrelated reason and I asked them to check what grade 502 was again, they’ve come back this time saying nope it’s not 502 it’s now 505 5W-40.. wtf??

I can’t get any clarity from the dealer so I will try and contact Audi UK to get it from technical themselves when I get chance. I want to just carry on using my Millers Nanodrive 5W-30 but I was told I risk voiding my warranty in this case. What has been supplied to the rest of you recently, has anybody had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: seventeenapg
Hi All,

Hoping I can get some clarification on the oil grade on the RS3. I’ve been using Millers Nano Drive 5W-30 up until now which is 504 without issue.

However on the recent service Audi threw a spanner in the works and said nope it needs 502 now, they still haven’t told me what grade 502 is I can’t get that out of them but I was told and shown 502 on the maintenance sheet they printed out on the last service.

The car has just been back in for an unrelated reason and I asked them to check what grade 502 was again, they’ve come back this time saying nope it’s not 502 it’s now 505 5W-40.. wtf??

I can’t get any clarity from the dealer so I will try and contact Audi UK to get it from technical themselves when I get chance. I want to just carry on using my Millers Nanodrive 5W-30 but I was told I risk voiding my warranty in this case. What has been supplied to the rest of you recently, has anybody had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance.
Following...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

502.00 is an old lesser performing oil , what drugs are these people taking ?

Reactions: AudiNutta and seventeenapg
Heard this a while back, A friend had been speaking to a Uk engine builder that does a lot of Daza rebuilds.

Audi have been considering switching to 5w-40 on the 2.5.

Didn’t think there was any truth in it, but as with everything you just never know.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta and seventeenapg
Viscosity does not dictate protection nor film strength , the oil basestock groups and additive package does .

In Castrols production the 502.00 40 grade and 504.00 30 grade was separated by just one centiStoke , if the goal posts were moved by just half a centiStoke both would come under the one grade .

Reactions: seventeenapg and oilman
The dealer seems a bit daft.

502.00 spec can be used on fixed service schedules, it means you do not need a longlife oil and opens up a lot of choice.

504.00 spec is for variable/longlife service schedules, as it is a longlife oil. 502.00 spec oils will not last the longlife service interval.

Is your car on variable or fixed service schedule?

Cheers,

Guy

Reactions: Count Drunkula, RS3 S. and seventeenapg
Heard this a while back, A friend had been speaking to a Uk engine builder that does a lot of Daza rebuilds.

Audi have been considering switching to 5w-40 on the 2.5.

Didn’t think there was any truth in it, but as with everything you just never know.......

Seems there is definitely truth in it!! I had communication from my service advisor this morning who word for word said this

" Regarding the oil I have looked myself this morning and can see that 5W40/505 has replaced 5W40/502 so we no longer use 502 or stock this as its been replaced with 505".

I am so confused haha, literally have a 1 month old maintenance check list printed out with my VIN on stating 502 from Audi, now that's been superseded. I told them to use the Millers 5W-30 that was in the boot on that occasion and I would look into it again before the next service. Not really comfortable using anything but 504 5W-30, the engine always ran 5 degrees cooler in any scenario when I switched to NanoDrive, reluctant to go back and put a lesser oil in my car to satisfy warranty it is madness.

The dealer seems a bit daft.

502.00 spec can be used on fixed service schedules, it means you do not need a longlife oil and opens up a lot of choice.

504.00 spec is for variable/longlife service schedules, as it is a longlife oil. 502.00 spec oils will not last the longlife service interval.

Is your car on variable or fixed service schedule?

Cheers,

Guy
To be fair I think they're only going to be as good as the information being fed to them which is why I intend on phoning Audi UK I just have no spare time at the moment. I've contacted Audi UK on Facebook before but of late they've become about as much use as a chocolate teaspoon, better off actually speaking.

My car is on 'fixed' technically, but I have the oil changed every 5000 miles without fail, all my service intervals are halved. I wouldn't give it to Audi that they've thought far ahead enough to consider the intervals I am changing at, without saying too much I just don't think that level of thought goes into it if I'm honest haha.

I've been fed some information on the Facebook owners clubs stating that the 2020 specs are 504 00/507 00 Castrol Edge 0W-30, further conflicting what I've been told.

I just want to continue using my Nano Drive 5W-30 and be done with it. I have been in touch with Millers Technical as well who are equally as baffled and state that 502 00 is a lesser oil, but since Audi have backtracked on this and now say 505 00. I have a bit of an oil weep on my sump so I need to decide what's going in next before I get this sorted, or more like try and get an oil approved in writing.

Reactions: oilman
I'd ask them what 2+2 is .

There is no other automotive forum subject that is more confusing and a load of rubbish is often spoken .

I'm confused too as far as I know 505.00 was a diesel engine oil spec from around 1997 .

Now it's morphed into a petrol spec ? and is accompanied by the PD derv spec 505.01 .

Screenshot 20210415 235830 Chrome

No eye dear , possible lines of coke involved .

VW's best spec oil since 2004 .

20200721 174852

I'd ask them what 2+2 is .

There is no other automotive forum subject that is more confusing and a load of rubbish is often spoken .

I'm confused too as far as I know 505.00 was a diesel engine oil spec from around 1997 .

Now it's morphed into a petrol spec ? and is accompanied by the PD derv spec 505.01 .

View attachment 235564

No eye dear , possible lines of coke involved .

VW's best spec oil since 2004 .

View attachment 235566
Haha!! 505.01 is what I was putting in my PD130 until I followed your advice and now run Quantum Longlife 3 5W-30 and I must say the difference was definitely noticeable, the high miler engine seems to run that little quieter and smoother on a cold start.

It inspires no confidence when the dealers can't tell us what we need to use. I asked a tech who wasn't sure what grade I'd be using for 502 00, I've dug and dug and now they've come back with 505 00. I told them until I was blue in the face that 502 00 is an old oil which would be putting a lesser oil in the car, I was told no that isn't correct because Audi have "updated" the specification of what is required and have brought out new oils to suit. But when asked what oil that would be, not too sure was the answer and as above I never got one haha.

The only new oil I know of is 508/509 which is 0W-20, this oil is described for "modern efficient engines", it is bright green and was put in my grandparents 1.4TFSI COD.

Reactions: Gazwould
And yet you still continue to use the Audi clowns to work on your car..........

To be fair I think they're only going to be as good as the information being fed to them which is why I intend on phoning Audi UK I just have no spare time at the moment. I've contacted Audi UK on Facebook before but of late they've become about as much use as a chocolate teaspoon, better off actually speaking.

My car is on 'fixed' technically, but I have the oil changed every 5000 miles without fail, all my service intervals are halved. I wouldn't give it to Audi that they've thought far ahead enough to consider the intervals I am changing at, without saying too much I just don't think that level of thought goes into it if I'm honest haha.

I've been fed some information on the Facebook owners clubs stating that the 2020 specs are 504 00/507 00 Castrol Edge 0W-30, further conflicting what I've been told.

I just want to continue using my Nano Drive 5W-30 and be done with it. I have been in touch with Millers Technical as well who are equally as baffled and state that 502 00 is a lesser oil, but since Audi have backtracked on this and now say 505 00. I have a bit of an oil weep on my sump so I need to decide what's going in next before I get this sorted, or more like try and get an oil approved in writing.
Oil weep on the Daza sump is common, sump off, new liquid sealant refit sump, job done.

If it's coming from the top of the windage tray then that's a bigger job, as some bolts are obscured by the gearbox.

I use 5w-30 Castrol edge and run stage 2 power, never have any issue with oil, just change it regular and i never go near the clowns.

As you are on a fixed service schedule then you do not need the 504.00 longlife oil, and VAG recommend 502.00 as a minimum spec to be used on fixed service, the owner is then free to use better if they wish, and that would be a good thing.

The Millers Nano Drive 5w-30 far exceeds anything required for 502.00 so you can use that with confidence, be happy and not to worry about it. However... Millers are replacing their Nano Drive range with new EE Performance range, but again perfectly suitable to use for non longlife servicing.

Cheers,

Guy

And yet you still continue to use the Audi clowns to work on your car..........

Thing is it’s just an easier life when issues crop up, they’re a pain enough as it is. I could never bring myself to stop going to Audi seemed wrong to lose the stamp.

Also I struggle to find somebody local I have total trust in if I’m honest. Nobody seems to be perfect...

Oil weep on the Daza sump is common, sump off, new liquid sealant refit sump, job done.

If it's coming from the top of the windage tray then that's a bigger job, as some bolts are obscured by the gearbox.

I use 5w-30 Castrol edge and run stage 2 power, never have any issue with oil, just change it regular and i never go near the clowns.

It is minor so I’ll just have them tend to it on the next service.

92E07E14 F6AE 441D ADDF 7290AEF09251

As you are on a fixed service schedule then you do not need the 504.00 longlife oil, and VAG recommend 502.00 as a minimum spec to be used on fixed service, the owner is then free to use better if they wish, and that would be a good thing.

The Millers Nano Drive 5w-30 far exceeds anything required for 502.00 so you can use that with confidence, be happy and not to worry about it. However... Millers are replacing their Nano Drive range with new EE Performance range, but again perfectly suitable to use for non longlife servicing.

Cheers,

Guy

Thanks for the info Guy, I’d always go for the best but regardless of what car we’ve had and dealer we’ve used over the years 5W-30 is always what goes in.

The issue I have is the main dealer have said if I carry on using my 5W-30, it will void my warranty :(

Thanks for the info Guy, I’d always go for the best but regardless of what car we’ve had and dealer we’ve used over the years 5W-30 is always what goes in.

The issue I have is the main dealer have said if I carry on using my 5W-30, it will void my warranty :(

Nowhere is perfect ? I beg to differ......
I have a great independent that I still use for the main services etc, only to get the electronic service updated mind.
If I sell the car I’ve documentation of everything I’ve done to it, which I consider for a buyer is far better than wondering if Audi have actually done the work paid for.

Yet you’ll quite happily go to a main dealer where all that exists is confusion and lies.

Warranty isn’t everything, jeeez you already had several slogs with them over other stuff you wanted doing.

If that sump were on my RS it would have been off cleaned up and refitted with new gasket sealer, not waiting for a battle with Audi over it because they’ll blame a wheel mod for it or some other crap statement.

Nowhere is perfect ? I beg to differ......
I have a great independent that I still use for the main services etc, only to get the electronic service updated mind.
If I sell the car I’ve documentation of everything I’ve done to it, which I consider for a buyer is far better than wondering if Audi have actually done the work paid for.

Yet you’ll quite happily go to a main dealer where all that exists is confusion and lies.

Warranty isn’t everything, jeeez you already had several slogs with them over other stuff you wanted doing.

If that sump were on my RS it would have been off cleaned up and refitted with new gasket sealer, not waiting for a battle with Audi over it because they’ll blame a wheel mod for it or some other **** statement.

We have an independent local who was highly rated but over time they’ve gone down in our estimations, not sure of anybody who really ‘knows’ these cars around here. Damn shame MRC are 3 hours away.

What somebody will accept for history is subjective isn’t it but seems to be that a car will be less desirable without the Audi history to the majority. Audi are too fussy when they do the work themselves ***, they don’t need another reason to grizzle haha. They don’t like having my car there, they’re almost as nervous as I am.

Warranty is good peace of mind and it has been utilised a good few times. Exhaust for flaking tips when new (£1900 I’m sure it was), Haldex Pump (£400 ish I think) and Transfer Box (£2800) being the main. Just had 2 small claims one for a rear wiper motor seal which turned into a new motor suspiciously as it “wasn’t working when it came in” but it damn well was and I’ve got a new RS3 sill plate which was claimed waiting for me to fit as mine has water in it. I can’t play with it because of how bad my luck is, I have wanted to fit MSS springs but they reckon it will void as far back as the gearbox due to excess vibration apparently, I’d accept suspension components obviously but come on!! If warranty wasn’t a necessity, I’d have been to MRC a long time ago.

In honesty I don’t really like working on the RS, I don’t like jacking it up it makes me nervous. I’ll tackle any job on any other car no issues but the RS I’ve just always left to dealers / independent. The only thing I’ve done on the RS is fit new discs and pads all around, it stayed on 4 axle stands for a couple days throughout and I had a sweat on when I lifted it up haha. Only reason I tend to remove wheels is cleaning.

We have an independent local who was highly rated but over time they’ve gone down in our estimations, not sure of anybody who really ‘knows’ these cars around here. Damn shame MRC are 3 hours away.

What somebody will accept for history is subjective isn’t it but seems to be that a car will be less desirable without the Audi history to the majority. Audi are too fussy when they do the work themselves ***, they don’t need another reason to grizzle haha. They don’t like having my car there, they’re almost as nervous as I am.

Warranty is good peace of mind and it has been utilised a good few times. Exhaust for flaking tips when new (£1900 I’m sure it was), Haldex Pump (£400 ish I think) and Transfer Box (£2800) being the main. Just had 2 small claims one for a rear wiper motor seal which turned into a new motor suspiciously as it “wasn’t working when it came in” but it damn well was and I’ve got a new RS3 sill plate which was claimed waiting for me to fit as mine has water in it. I can’t play with it because of how bad my luck is, I have wanted to fit MSS springs but they reckon it will void as far back as the gearbox due to excess vibration apparently, I’d accept suspension components obviously but come on!! If warranty wasn’t a necessity, I’d have been to MRC a long time ago.

In honesty I don’t really like working on the RS, I don’t like jacking it up it makes me nervous. I’ll tackle any job on any other car no issues but the RS I’ve just always left to dealers / independent. The only thing I’ve done on the RS is fit new discs and pads all around, it stayed on 4 axle stands for a couple days throughout and I had a sweat on when I lifted it up haha. Only reason I tend to remove wheels is cleaning.

Still just an MQB chassis car like all the other variants.

I'd be more than happy with buying any rs car from an enthusiast. A folder full of actual print outs and receipts goes much further to me than a digital log on a vw audi server. Blimey imagine if some one hacked into this and corrupted it.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8YARWY
I'd be more than happy with buying any rs car from an enthusiast. A folder full of actual print outs and receipts goes much further to me than a digital log on a vw audi server. Blimey imagine if some one hacked into this and corrupted it.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

People need to wake up regarding Audi’s attitude to people paying good money for, in a lot of cases bad servicing experience.

In some cases I’ve seen Audi can’t even tell a customer what’s due and when it needed doing.
Then there’s getting your car back and finding it’s been half rear bottom (filter stopped me using Ars***) serviced.

Reactions: DW81

I would be interest to know why they think using a 5w-30 would invalidate a warranty if it meets or exceeds the required spec, it really does not make any sense and I have never heard of this before. Sounds like a confuzzled dealer to me.

Cheers,

Guy.

And, a wee bit off topic but this is what I received yesterday from Audi UK. Car first registered May 17, 2018...
dac6732c538ea595e6ab2536c68f79af.jpg

And, a wee bit off topic but this is what I received yesterday from Audi UK. Car first registered May 17, 2018...
dac6732c538ea595e6ab2536c68f79af.jpg

Shudders looking at that

I would be interest to know why they think using a 5w-30 would invalidate a warranty if it meets or exceeds the required spec, it really does not make any sense and I have never heard of this before. Sounds like a confuzzled dealer to me.

Cheers,

Guy.
So I’ve managed to get in touch with Audi UK and kind of got an answer.

502.00 is for Fixed Servicing (which my car is on), of an undetermined grade

504.00 is for Longlife Servicing Audi UK have
my car down as being on despite it always having had fixed services and 5000 mile changes.

Anyway I’ve got an email stating 504.00 is for Longlife for my car. That’s good enough for me to continue using what I am, they won’t be able to reject any warranty claims for me using a ‘better’ oil I’d like to see that stand up in court haha.

Thanks all :) Continue buying the Opie Oils supplied Millers Nanodrive 5W-30.

Hi guys, so just been reading this thread and very timely as have recently picked up some top-up oil for the RS3 from the dealers.

Having previously been given the Castrol Edge 5w-30 I noticed that the new oil is now not Castrol and also 5w-40?

Am I ok to use this as a top up even though the current oil in the engine is the Castrol 5w-30?

The car was originally on the flexible service but I changed it to fixed wanting to change the oil more regularly.

Any advice appreciated.

BCFBDD75 47F9 4334 8075 27C74EA1181F
ADBAF704 07D5 40C0 AC13 61DF653D10DE

Also, car booked in with Audi for oil change and inspection in a couple of weeks so presume they’ll be using this new oil, is it decent enough for a stage 1 car or should I be supplying my own oil at a better grade?

Lol more confusion from the local Audi dealer.

My take.

If it’s on a particular oil spec and brand I stay on it, if it’s got Castrol 5w-30 in it then that’s what it gets topped up with.

Reactions: Riko0073
Lol more confusion from the local Audi dealer.

My take.

If it’s on a particular oil spec and brand I stay on it, if it’s got Castrol 5w-30 in it then that’s what it gets topped up with.

Thanks @T-1000

Will just keep this latest 5w-40 oil for future top ups as sure Audi will be filling it with this at the next service!

Thankfully my cars fairly good and not needing topping up that often.

Thanks @T-1000

Will just keep this latest 5w-40 oil for future top ups as sure Audi will be filling it with this at the next service!

Thankfully my cars fairly good and not needing topping up that often.

Am running stage 2 and e30.
Still change at 5K intervals with Castrol 5w-30.

Reactions: Dan_DJT and Riko0073
Isn't 5w-40 supposed to give better protection at higher temperatures? Not unknown for these engines to run hot so it may be a correct decision by Audi just confused by the muppets at the dealers.

Isn't 5w-40 supposed to give better protection at higher temperatures? Not unknown for these engines to run hot so it may be a correct decision by Audi just confused by the muppets at the dealers.

I was told by someone who rebuilds these engines that Audi were contemplating a change to 5w-40 a while back.
Apparently the bearing tolerances are very tight.

Just to add to the confusion, I have just had my 3rd year service (I'm on a fixed service interval) carried out by my local Audi dealer and they have replaced the oil as always with Castrol Edge Professional 5w-30 LongLife III. The 1ltr top up bottle is also of the same spec.

Just to add to the confusion, I have just had my 3rd year service (I'm on a fixed service interval) carried out by my local Audi dealer and they have replaced the oil as always with Castrol Edge Professional 5w-30 LongLife III. The 1ltr top up bottle is also of the same spec.
Just to follow on from this, just had my 2nd service and after I was given a 5w-40 top up a few weeks back, presuming Audi decided to change from the 5w-30 used previously, I checked and they have in fact used 5w-30 again, so seems I was given the wrong top up oil, thankfully not needed to top up so still unopened.

Also annoyingly, when I bought the car from new it was on the flexible servicing but I decided to change to fixed as wanted more regular oil changes on a car like this, however just noticed they serviced it as ‘flexible’ using long life oil and service indicator has reverted back to flexible! Audi said they’ll just change it back when I’m passing on the MMI and I can swop the top up oil, but does the long life oil used bear any relevance and the wrong oil used for fixed service?

Think I’m going to change the oil every 5k given it’s stage 1 at a local Indi anyway so won’t be in there long.

Just to follow on from this, just had my 2nd service and after I was given a 5w-40 top up a few weeks back, presuming Audi decided to change from the 5w-30 used previously, I checked and they have in fact used 5w-30 again, so seems I was given the wrong top up oil, thankfully not needed to top up so still unopened.

Also annoyingly, when I bought the car from new it was on the flexible servicing but I decided to change to fixed as wanted more regular oil changes on a car like this, however just noticed they serviced it as ‘flexible’ using long life oil and service indicator has reverted back to flexible! Audi said they’ll just change it back when I’m passing on the MMI and I can swop the top up oil, but does the long life oil used bear any relevance and the wrong oil used for fixed service?

Think I’m going to change the oil every 5k given it’s stage 1 at a local Indi anyway so won’t be in there long.

Why o why do people bother with Audi Main dealers and their cryptic servicing regimes.

Reactions: Riko0073, Dan_DJT and seventeenapg

Why o why do people bother with Audi Main dealers and their cryptic servicing regimes.

I’m leaning towards an Indi mate after that fiasco!!

I’m leaning towards an Indi mate after that fiasco!!

I use an Independent for the services that need to be logged.
Everything else I do myself.
Haldex / DSG / 5K oil changes etc etc

Cars been over serviced if anything.

Reactions: RS03???, Riko0073 and seventeenapg