Oil Filter Housing Snapped

BradV6

Reaction score
Was doing an oil change on my 3.2 today and this happened :mad::

IMG_1078_zpsb77c7651.jpg

SO...

if anyone could give me a part number i would appreciate it!

Its a BDB engine.

Thanks

Go into your local TPS they'll be able to get you another without a part number. My dads one wouldn't seal properly even after replacing the O ring.

Thanks guys, Audi is nearer to me and i cant get to TPS. Does anyone know if Audi sell the removal took also as there is no way I am using a 36mm socket again!

The socket is perfectly ok to use, it either a weak part or overtightened initially, I've used socket everytime without any issues, just buy new & use a torque wrench to the specified rating.

Wow some one must have well and truely over did that when doing it up. I just did my filter in the week and thought mine was a pain to shift !

I know I still have to get the thing off, I can't get anything round it to do it

You can not get a filter chain tool round it?

I'd imagine it's definetly been previously over tightened I've never had an trouble using a 36mm socket on them.

If you cant get any decent grips etc round the lid, then you're going to have to break it, make sure you always oil the filter seal & thread, which maybe why this has happened if it wasnt done before, also protect yourself from any bits falling down the hole as such.

It must have been also the drain lug was rounded off so it was a right mess when it snapped

Its the first time its been serviced since I got it so whoever done it last over done it

Brad, you may be able to get one of these on it. Oil filter removal tool for VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda TDI | eBay Several people sell them. I believe then you can use your standard half-inch wrench on it since the 32mm head has sheared off. Not sure if this will fit exactly, but others I have seen certainly will. Have a Google around, but I believe Halfords also sell them. Good luck.

Thanks guys, its sorted now, i had to resort to a hammer and screwdriver to tap it loose, gonna call audi tomorrow for the new part

Ive just been quoted 96 quid at audi for the part, am i missing something here?!

They'll be quoting you for a complete filter assembly, thats about the right price. Did you give them that part number?

You only want the plastic cap piece.

The covers £29 from audi & can be bought seperately.

Thanks again everyone, i phone volkswagen instead and they told me audi got it wrong, so ive ordered with them instead using the part number above, about 26 quid. Will post back once its sorted.