Oil Dipstick For B8.5 S4

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I wanted to get a proper dipstick for the S4, and a search on here came up with part number 06E115611H. So I emailed my local TPS (from whom I bought many bits and pieces for the B7), quoting that very part number, and here's the response I got.

"Good morning
I have looked at this and your vehicle doesn’t have a dipstick, it is only a red tab.
Only a workshop can measure the oil level as it is a workshop tool.
Sorry I can’t help you with your enquiry."

So now I'm going to the part dept at the supplying dealer.

The person who replied isn't the guy I've dealt with for the past couple of years; I think he's gone. It leaves me wondering if my helpful relationship with TPS is at an end.

Let us know how you get on Jeff. My understanding is there's a plastic blanking plug in the place where the dipstick would go. I haven't bothered with a dipstick as the display read has been fairly consistent for me. I used this much oil in the first year...

2015 05 07 121623

I know, mate, but I'm old-fashioned. I like to monitor the condition of the oil as well as the level.

Just come off the phone to the parts dept at Bexley Audi. Their reply was "That'll be £8-& some pence plus VAT, and should be in tomorrow".

Reactions: Stu2w, scotty76 and Sandra
I know what you mean!

Response from my Audi garage was:
"We cannot advise fitting a dip stick to your vehicle as it is not factory standard.
We have a special workshop tool for measuring the level of oil in the engine when the vehicle is in for work."

That special tool would be a dipstick then - in-fact that special tool is the dipstick I've just ordered from you :blink:

Reactions: samisnake, skiptowncat, Archies and 2 others
Hahahaha sorry for the language but what a load of Sh1t !!

Couldn't Believe my s4 had no dip stick when I got it, I'm also old school and a mechanic to trade i like to see the oil for my self im sure the computer is great but after an oil change etc a dip stick is needed if you ask me

Anyway after a lot of searching I got one from states fits perfect, the only ones I could find over here where the adjustable metal things

@jdp1962 let us see what u get

Last edited:
@jdp1962 - Didn't you do the parts request thingy on ASN Jeff?

When you get your dipstick, can you put the parts number up on here plez

My old B8 A4 had the same no dipstick thing and you learn to live with it, altho' at times I found it a bit frustrating as it seemed to work when it pleased. Don't forget I had the dreaded 2.0TFSI engine built in 2009 on my old A4 so I had to watch my oil level like a hawk!

This is the one I found -
http://www.europaparts.com/oil-dipstick-06e115611h.html

Reactions: Dinorich
TPS are actually more geared towards account customers, they don't generally deal with the public so much anymore, they're trying to steer clear, I would just deal with a dealer direct tbh Jeff.

@jdp1962 - Didn't you do the parts request thingy on ASN Jeff?

When you get your dipstick, can you put the parts number up on here plez

My old B8 A4 had the same no dipstick thing and you learn to live with it, altho' at times I found it a bit frustrating as it seemed to work when it pleased. Don't forget I had the dreaded 2.0TFSI engine built in 2009 on my old A4 so I had to watch my oil level like a hawk!

This is the one I found -
http://www.europaparts.com/oil-dipstick-06e115611h.html
Part number is 06E115611H

Reactions: Bristle Hound
TPS are actually more geared towards account customers, they don't generally deal with the public so much anymore, they're trying to steer clear, I would just deal with a dealer direct tbh Jeff.
Yup, Nige, that's what I'm think going forward. Still, I had a good run whilst it lasted.

Part 06E115611H does fit - I only use when carrying out an oil service and it is accurate. Will fit pretty much all V6 engines inc the 3.2 A4.
You can order from Stoke Audi but they charge £5 postage - http://www.stokeaudi-parts.co.uk/products/Audi-Dipstick-%2d-06E115611H.html

Pic attached of the part. No idea why Audi don't fit these. The bung they manufactured instead probably costs more to produce than the dipstick!

Attachments

• IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 652
Reactions: Bristle Hound, Chop. and jdp1962
£9.00 inc VAT to your door via the parts request system...

Reactions: Bristle Hound, ruairi83, Gaz170 and 1 other person
How do I order one of these please ?
Hi buddy.

Please use the 'Parts Request' tab at the top of the forum if on a computer.

Otherwise if you're on your phone, scroll up and use the menu tab at the top left.

Cheers

Mike

Great stuff. I bought one for my A4 so will have to check the part number again as may soon need one for an S4 ;)

Just ordered one thro' the ASN parts request system
As @jetty does, I won't be leaving mine installed all the time, I'll be using it as and when I need to

Like I said in my earlier post I found the MMI display thingy for the oil level a bit frustrating on my old B8 A4 as it worked as & when it felt like it

Reactions: Gaz170
Well mine is now sporting a proper dipstick. I'm working at home today, so I walked the dog down to Bexley Audi at lunchtime to pick it up. It's exactly as pictured in @jetty's thread a few up from here; a black metal prong with an orange plastic loop at one end and a grey moulded plastic marker at the bottom; in other words, it's a dipstick. :)

At the same time, I picked up a set of metal tyre valve dust caps with the Audi logo on them. What's a bit of bling between friends?

Last edited:
Would this be the same part number for the 2.7 tdi ?

Chassis numbers up to 8T8022500* are different to the one mentioned above. Its part no is 059115611AB for a 2.7tdi.

Please use the parts request system to continue... :)

I do have a question for @jetty and @Bristle Hound, though. Why not leave it in place all the time? Seems to me you're giving yourself an unnecessary task of finding a safe place to store it, when you've already got one - i.e. the engine.

I do have a question for @jetty and @Bristle Hound, though. Why not leave it in place all the time? Seems to me you're giving yourself an unnecessary task of finding a safe place to store it, when you've already got one - i.e. the engine.
@jdp1962 - My reasoning Jeff is that its not a standard fit item from the factory, so any fault arising from fitting the same could/may/will invalidate any potential warranty claims
Probably being a bit paranoid I know
& I do have a nice secure/clean place for storage of said item ;) lol

@jdp1962 - My reasoning Jeff is that its not a standard fit item from the factory, so any fault arising from fitting the same could/may/will invalidate any potential warranty claims
Blimey, Col, that is paranoia (well just a bit). Bearing in mind the dealer that supplied the car also supplied the dipstick, without making any warning statement about the potential to invalidate a warranty claim, I'd pretty soon be pointing them in the direction of the doctrine of estoppel.

Chassis numbers up to 8T8022500* are different to the one mentioned above. Its part no is 059115611AB for a 2.7tdi.

Please use the parts request system to continue... :)

Are they the same price ?

Blimey, Col, that is paranoia (well just a bit). Bearing in mind the dealer that supplied the car also supplied the dipstick, without making any warning statement about the potential to invalidate a warranty claim, I'd pretty soon be pointing them in the direction of the doctrine of estoppel.
Paranoid ? Me ? Who said that ...
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: jdp1962
I think that if you go into any main dealer's parts department and ask for 1-off p/n **************** they will supply or order in and supply it, the problem comes when you blurt out "I'm fitting it to a ***** because Audi did not fit one" or you make any reference that suggests you are fitting a non-standard part to your car in general - dealership is only protecting itself in case you have made a big boo boo!

I first had this issue with Audi dealer, when at the suggestion of my VW dealer, I opted for the newer/safer brake pads for my B5 Passat - I came clean on what and why I was buying them - they would not sell me them, their loss, I contacted TMD Friction direct who supplied what I needed FOC! I kept quiet about why I was buying an A4 B5 water deflector for that same car (Passat B5) some months later!

I'm happy to supply anything you guys want - Just know that if its not meant for the car from factory - I'd accept no resposibility for said part if it caused consequential damage to another part.

Modifications are done at purely the owners risk.

Simples. :)

So I opened the parts request link and I see the requests, but I am in the USA.

Am I able to order the dipstick same way as others above or will I need to source it via another channel?

So I opened the parts request link and I see the requests, but I am in the USA.

Am I able to order the dipstick same way as others above or will I need to source it via another channel?

@ThatOneDude, by the time you add in your shipping costs, wouldn't you be better off ordering it from your own Audi dealer, or even from the link Bristle Hound posted earlier, which was a USA supplier?

+1 i'd sell you one but international postage takes an age and it costs too much on your part to warranty buying from me.

Also if you leave it fitted then it is a modification which should be notified to your insurer :)

lol. :smug: I'm not dying to order one internationally. I want to order one the smartest way... of course. I simply did not see Bristle Hound's link.

Thanks guys :)

Having now got a dipstick (mjr901 - great service) and seen it, I am really reluctant to leave it in. I know that despite the cheap looking plastic it is undoubtedly specced for the engine temps, but a quick Google did reveal one report from someone whose dipstick had snapped and the lower part was trapped. Since its not a big deal for me to only use it at home for checking level and appearance of the oil, I think I shall leave it out. Also I somewhat share BH's paranoia. What are most others doing, leaving it in all the time?