Oil cooler replacement?

Dan TheMan Welburn

Reaction score
Noticed today i have a small amount of oil in my water, now i have no temp issues, barring the not reaching 90 which i believe is due to my stat as ive changed sensor, now research is leading me to believe that it is the seal on the oil cooler,

is the gasket/seal easily changeable? or in worst case is the oil cooler affordable?

thanks

Dan

£40 for a new oil cooler. Plus £6 or so for seals. And oil and filter.

I done mine on Saturday. It's a simple enough job

Sweet dont suppose you have part numbers so i can save time at tps? im due a oil service in next fortnight so ill get it ready

I did mine about 2/3 months ago, straight forward enough and oil was the most expensive thing, got my parts from ecp, just make sure the rubber seal is in the box when u get it as mine wasn't so they just gave me one :)

Just drain the oil and coolant, remove the coolant reservoir, remove the oil filter, then undo the nut that's on the same thread as the filter (can't remember the size, might have been 30mm??) detach the two coolant pipes from the cooler and repeat backwards.

I ran it with just water in for 20/30 miles, drained it again then filled it with coolant, just to get rid of any gunk left behind. Still nice and pink and mine was really bad!

it was easier to remove from above rather than beneath the car too

Image this was mine !

Mine looks very similar tom maybe not quite as bad, but ill be sure to get parts, is it worthwhile just changing the seal or is it false economy not doing both?

I would imagine you would need to change both,

If it's the same, or similar to the 1.8t cooler the the seal is only there to stop oil leaking externally, it's just a round rubber seal.

The cooler itself is a sealed metal unit with an in and an out connection for the coolant hoses.