oil consumption

A3quattro

Reaction score
Hi,

I viewed an A3 1.8T quattro (180 bhp on an 02 plate) over the weekend and the salesman mentioned i would have to check the oil level once a month as the audi engines "use oil", but this is nothing to worry about and normal. I am a little concerned as my golf had the same 1.8T engine (150 bhp) and over seven years never used a drop of oil.
Any thoughts and experiences would be great, thanks.

Ian.

Mine uses a little (1/4 quart) every 10K

So Far S3 isnt using any oil
however a mate of mine driving a A3 1.9TDI his is using a fair bit of oil but i reckon theres something wrong not just as its a audi it uses oil!

After all those 1.8T engines have been used in a few cars

think the dealer may be trying too play u a bit!

As a backup to others, mine hardly uses any either. Never need a top up between services and I'm on the long life gubbins

i find the S3 uses oil if i use 0w 30/40 but hardly uses any 5w / 30,40. Sorry without going out in the cold can`t remember if its 30 or 40.

New vw/audis are now speced at 5w and I suspect this is due to them useing oil

i use a litre every 5,000 miles.

normal oil consumption on an audi/vw engine can be 1 litre every 1,000 miles.

the salesman is giving you good advice to check the oil regularly.

My first S3 didn't use a drop, current one does - though it has just swapped to using 5w as per Audi's new scheme so that may improve. Our 1.9Tdi A4 also uses a fair bit too. I trust my local dealer and they say it's quite normal.

So I guess some do, some don't and from my own limited statistical analysis of three cars, I'd say more do than don't!

Thanks for your replies, i guess it's luck of the draw to how thirsty with oil your engine is.

My S3 uses a fair bit so does my VW diesel van, its due to the low friction engine and normal to use 1 litre every 1000 my be a bit less (depends how you drive it) mines tends to use more on short journeys. Can get expensive though if you use reccomended oil which only comes in 1 litre top ups!!

Another S3 that doesn't use oil and on 115K