OIL CONSUMPTION

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Website
www.jdevine.co.uk
<font color="blue">I have a 2L petrol multitronic with 50k on the clock. I have to put a litre of oil in every 15000 miles. Never had to do this on any previous car, at least not at such a rate. The dealership told me this was normal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Can anyone vouch for this? </font>

that's not too bad johnboy, did you mean 1500 miles though? - my 2.0l petrol uses approx a litre ever 2-3k miles - the manual says anything up to a litre/1000k

That's about right around a litre per 1000miles is within tolerance for most manufactures these days.

So a litre every 15000 is pretty good.

Similar situation here, I'm adding 1 litre of 10w-40 synthetic oil every 1,000 miles to my A4 97 2.8 Quattro (75K). I haven't experienced this with any other car either and am also curious if someone can answer why oil is being used up at such a rate? This should not be the norm surely! My previous A4 96 2.6 Quattro (95k) never lost any oil.

The Audi Technician has checked the car over and there's no sign of any external oil leaks and the exhaust is not smoking like it's burning oil. He says it may be an internal oil leak - perhaps that explains why our beloved Audis are loosing oil!

Strange /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mine does not burn or drop it either. There must be some technowhizzkid out there that can enlighten us or do we all just accept it as normal in an Audi?

Vorsprung durch Öl perhaps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Some reports suggest that they burn more oil if you baby then engine during break-in. I drove mine normally (after driving gently during warm up) and it's used about 1.25ltr in almost 9k miles.

I've read of some using 1ltr / 1k miles.

My 1.8T doesnt use ANY - neither did my last 1.8 T but whilst driving to Gatwick airport last Sunday for a flight to the U.S, the Oil level warning light came on on the S4. Bit worrying, stopped, topped up, took about 3/4 litre but seems the V8 uses oil also?

Strange isnt it? Normally if an engine uses oil at the rate of a litre per 1000 miles you get tell tale clues ie drips on the drive or smoking exhaust when excellerating... Where the hell does it go?

Yep, I've used about three quarts of oil in the first 18000, V8's do drink it. It also takes 9 litres at service which is why the service price is steep, equates to about £100 of oil.

and the other thing is the cost of the Longlife oil too - just used £40 worth on DIY lub and the computer defaulted to standard from variable when reset carried out - it's std oil for me from now on, at least the cost of constant top up is reduced. besides, it seems like a lot of bother for not that many more miles

also, could the consumption have anything to do with the Longlife oil itself - i wonder how i'll get on with run of the mill oil after next service - 7500k to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When I was looking for a B5 shape A4, I was told to keep well away from the 2.0 petrol engines - by the Audi saleswoman.

Apparently they are known to use a little more oil than usual or expected. In her words "more oil than petrol". I believe they were worse in the A6, such a small engine for a large car.

I believe Audi dropped that particular engine type after a short while. But this is what a main Audi stealer saleswoman told me... So, I could be wrong, very wrong.

With my old shed of a 1998R 1.8T Sport, ECU remapped and 127,000 miles on the clock, never required a top up. Yet my 2003 1.9TDi 130 required 1/2 litre of longlife after 8000 miles from a recent service!