Oil change

nervus

Reaction score
I just changed the oil as Ive done 4000 miles now and 2000 of them with the MTM power hike.

The undertray is pretty substantial c.f. the 8P but is easier to locate back into position but has M40 Star head bolts which were pretty tight. I was also suprised to see the sump is plastic and flat bottomed but I should have realised when I saw the replacement sump plug was also plastic! Is it a dry sump?

Anyway, the oil was in pretty bad shape in my opinion. Really black and relatively viscous compared to the new oil! No way I'd leave it until ~20k!!

Changed mine after the first 1500 miles. Was also surprised to see a plastic sump and there's no way I'll leave it until 20k before another service.

Why would you not leave it until the manufactured oil change milage as they know best, just because it's black doesn't mean the oil is bad.

Why would you not leave it until the manufactured oil change milage as they know best, just because it's black doesn't mean the oil is bad.

actually there has been a number of older cars on the long life service (20K miles) that have had engine failure because of oil blockages leading to oil starvation -- Audi know best hey

Although 4000 miles is pretty keen

..you changed the oil by draining the sump?

Oh yeah hahahahahah! Just looks wierd as being so flat on the bottom so looked like that kind of design but obviously its a wet sump duh!! Sorry :tapedshut:

Long life services were introduced to make the maintenance numbers look appealing to fleet managers, not necessarily for the health of the car.

Modern oils, including synthetics (which very often still have mineral base stock) are very good, and can stretch longer intervals. However it isn't a one size fits all.

If you've got a high performance variant (eg S3) and drive it hard, it would benefit from being on fixed interval services with more regular changes. Similarly, DPF equipped cars will benefit from regular changes with better soot managing oil additives.

The S3 hasn't got a dry sump, but there are substantial revisions and changes. There is no separate pickup and strainer, this is cast into the block itself, and the piston oil spray nozzles are now part of an electrically switchable system.

The bottom of the sump may look flat (thus mistaking it for a dry sump ;) ) but because the top of the engine is tilted 12 degrees towards the bulkhead, the actual shape of the sump is wedge shaped, with the bottom being parallel (ish) to the road :)

Reactions: Wondering Soul and nervus
actually there has been a number of older cars on the long life service (20K miles) that have had engine failure because of oil blockages leading to oil starvation -- Audi know best hey

It's their policy though, so I'd be back at them blaming them for the problem if I followed their recommendations and got a failure.

It's their policy though, so I'd be back at them blaming them for the problem if I followed their recommendations and got a failure.

yeah i know, in which case i would ask Audi to switch the service interval to a fixed one (~10K/1Yr) rather than longlife

I used to work for a major motor manufacturer and yes indeed, long service intervals are largely marketing driven - more appealing to buyers and fleet operators who consider cost of ownership. If course, modern engines and oils are better these days but there is no way that I'll be leaving the oil in my diesel A3 for 18/20k miles!

Reactions: JohnM100
As someone who changed my pickup pipe on a previous A3 just in time, I would not use variable service / AVS again, and I don't on my 8V.

If you only keep the car for a few years from new then ok as you'd sell before the problems manifested (but your buyer may not be so lucky).

Read and wince....

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=168840

Reactions: veeeight