Oil change opinions

george forbes

Reaction score
So my S3 8v is sitting at 45k and is telling me an oil change is needed in the next week or so, it has been serviced annually and at the last one it was a major with plugs and brake fluid and the haldex was done the year before , I cover about 8k a year and the car is mostly standard. Question is how many people just replace the oil and filter in between oil and inspection services or do you go for an interim or full service as I have done in the past. the car is telling you only that it requires the oil changed not serviced am I right . most of the checks done on either an interim or full are pretty basic for the amount of extra money you pay so is it worth it, car is no longer under warranty so no problems there . just wondered whether it would bother anybody seeing on the service book that it only had oil and filter changed in the years between major services and not a complete service.

As you are already getting engine oil and filter changes annually then that’s fine, even for a performance engine. Just use longlife oil rather than the ‘annual’ spec oil (can’t remember the codes at the moment).

The only reason to change more often is if you are taking it on a track.

As for the service book, either use an indy who can update the service record, or keep the receipts if changing the oil yourself.

I change mine every 3 months or 3,000 miles which ever comes first. Stock oil to use is 5w-30 I use millers nano 5w-40.

Why so often??? It should last a year
Well you can never change oil enough. And I’m at stage 3 with a Venom9 turbo and just a piece of mind. I do this in my garage so not to much of a fuss.

Reactions: Fatbloke and Audi-Sport-Driver
Well you can never change oil enough. And I’m at stage 3 with a Venom9 turbo and just a piece of mind. I do this in my garage so not to much of a fuss.
Don't you cause a little bit of stress as the engine first starts after an oil change as its starved of oil as the filter fills the first time?

I was having this dilemma I usually change mine halfway between dealerships services just for peace of mind the oil on the service receipts from Audi is shell helix 0w30;

I was having this dilemma I usually change mine halfway between dealerships services just for peace of mind the oil on the service receipts from Audi is shell helix 0w30;

Willing to bet they actually use a cube of Quantum ‘blue cap’ longlife oil. Made by Fuchs, it’s not bad stuff.

Don't you cause a little bit of stress as the engine first starts after an oil change as its starved of oil as the filter fills the first time?
???? whats the difference to a cold engine. you dont drain all of the pipes and turbo etc. only the sump.

Not a bad shout with that level of tuning especially if you hammer it a lot. Out of interest what power is your car making from that?