Oil catch can question

daithi23

Reaction score
I have had one of these for a few months now, going to be fitting it very soon. What I'm wondering is... I have the type without the filter on top. To me it makes more sense to have a filter as the purpose of it is to catch the oil residue and let the gas 'breath' out? Can anyone tell me what the two types are called, and what the mian difference is? Which is better?

You can either plumb it back into your intake OR vent to atmos. If it's not venting you need it to go back to the TIP or the pressure will build up and do all sorts of things.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused here... It goes back into the intake or to the little vent on top, but if it isn't venting on top it has to go back to the TIP?

Okay let me try explain it better. There are two breathers on the engine. One on the crank case (on the top right hand side of the engine) and one by the oil filter housing.

Both of these breathers need to go to the catch can. Then you have a choice. You can have a little breather on the catch can so the oil vapours go into the atmosphere. OR you can have it go back into the turbo intake pipe (if this is the case the catch can needs to be completely air tight or unmetered air will be getting past the MAF

Hope that's easier to understand

Much better, thanks! One more question, so is the air/vapors flowing one direction? Oil filter house -> catch can -> crank case, or visa versa?

Nope

Oil filter housing breather -> catch can
and
crank case breather -> catch can

They both flow into the catch can, and then one there they can be vented to atmos or back into the TIP. That is up to you and both methods have their pros/cons. Ultimately, venting to atmos will allow you car to make more power if that's your goal.

I see, thanks for clearing that up for me. My only problem now is that my can only has two sections for hose, nothing for a feed to the TIP or breather filter. I must see what the one I have is for then...

Your best off putting a t piece in the two breather pipes so they both enter the same port on the can then you have the second port for the tip/atmos breather

Reactions: daithi23
Nope

Oil filter housing breather -> catch can
and
crank case breather -> catch can

They both flow into the catch can, and then one there they can be vented to atmos or back into the TIP. That is up to you and both methods have their pros/cons. Ultimately, venting to atmos will allow you car to make more power if that's your goal.

Sorry but you're confusing things here... The "oil filter housing breather" IS the crack case breather (hence attached to the crank case) and the other one is the cam cover breather, not "crank case breather"

Sorry, just had to point that out to save confusion!

Ahh yeah my mistake hopefully everyone understood what I meant!

Reactions: VAG-Slag