Oil catch can Question

I thought the TIP would have been blocked off...

I fitted a catch can setup to my mates R32 GTR at the weekend as the RB26DETT shifts a hell of a lot of oil at around a bar of boost. You have to block off the TIP that would normally have a pipe going into it from the rocker cover because it makes the rear 3 cylinders run lean. The oil vapour dulls down the fuel octane

Apart from the running lean factor would it be the same factor on the 1.8t? Surely its better to have cleaner air going in and remove the dirty oily air? Ie looking at the picture above of the cup of oil. Be better to not have the vapours from that nasty stuff going back into the TIP. I know the pic shows the hockey puk being vented to the CC but the tip will still be sucking in air from the puk too?

I thought the TIP would have been blocked off...

I fitted a catch can setup to my mates R32 GTR at the weekend as the RB26DETT shifts a hell of a lot of oil at around a bar of boost. You have to block off the TIP that would normally have a pipe going into it from the rocker cover because it makes the rear 3 cylinders run lean. The oil vapour dulls down the fuel octane

Apart from the running lean factor would it be the same factor on the 1.8t? Surely its better to have cleaner air going in and remove the dirty oily air? Ie looking at the picture above of the cup of oil. Be better to not have the vapours from that nasty stuff going back into the TIP. I know the pic shows the hockey puk being vented to the CC but the tip will still be sucking in air from the puk too?

The whole point of the catch can is to keep the oil out of the tip and othe boost hoses to prevent the oil reducing octane levels in the fuel.

The cans that were purchased in the group buy are baffled ones which capture the oily vapour and keeps hold of the oil at the bottom of the can but allows the clean vapour to re-enter the TIP. If you have an un baffled can you can put wire brillo pads in your can to achieve a similar effect.

Since I've put on my can and fitted new boost hoses all round they have remained spotless.

Just a couple of questions:
How easy are these to fit, and do you need anything other then what you get sent by the company in the other thread?
Also, from what I've seen, the benefit is that condensation going back into the engine is reduced, is this correct?

Thanks

There is already a one way valve on the brake servo line near the end where it feeds into the brake servo.

As for the benefit of installing it, it is not so much for condensation being drawn back into your intake but the oily vapours which enter your TIP and sludge the inside of your turbo pipes,intercooler pipes and get drawn into your intake. If you take off your intercooler pipework and a lot of the other hoses that connect from the top of the oil filter breather etc then you can see all the crud that lines the inside of the pipes.

Fair enough. But still could you not block off puk to Tip and not have a pipe running between the two? Or would it not make any difference?

Bolt in the TIP to block it off or a cap if you didnt want to do that and the same for the puk. Thats what i did on the Skyline. We vented the can via pipe and filter down under the car to prevent smells in the cabin or engine bay and it works nicely. If you kept it in the bay you`d get the smell of fumes in traffic yeah.