oil catch can question (not fitment)

daithi23

Reaction score
I've a question about catch cans, I just got an ebay special. Looked the business. My old on only had two barbs so I'd to t the two feeds in and the filter didn't fit properly. New one fits and looks much better. ..but it's empty. There is nothing at all inside. Can I put steel wool or sponge or something inside to catch the oil while letting glthe vapour out, or am I better off getting a different one?

I'm also curious about the more technical side of this if anyone can share their knowledge.

G'day.

Best bet would be to just stuff the new one you bought with steel wool as a sponge would most likely deteriorate, you could go a stage further and make a small baffle to better trap the oil vapour though i think this may be overkill unless your engine has some serious blow-by.

Daniel.

Reactions: daithi23
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I was pretty disappointed as the new cab wasn't exactly cheap either.

you could vent it to atmos and then it doesn't matter if it baffled or not

from my experience most of the cans on the market don't have baffles or gauze from the factory, no idea why :chargrined:

It does vent to atmosphere alright. I might just stick a bit of steel wool in for the sake of it really.