Oil Catch Can mini group buy anyone? including PCV system simplification.

Just to check imteyaz, is this the part number for the plastic 90 degree bend that goes into the oil filter housing?

Yes it is - it's £20 (or there about's) from the Stealers :faint:.

The new one seems to have a metal insert in it (brass?). The old one broke very easily and had loads of sludge coating the internal wall - I didn't fancy cleaning any of it off to see if the old one had a similar sleeve inserted.

Just been to Audi and collected the o ring and 90 degree hose. I laughed so hard at the parts guy when he told me the rubber o ring was £3.31 wtf!

I also popped to Halfrauds and got a can of gunk degreaser to try and clear up the oily mess. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anyone want to help me rip and burn this pcv system out of my car?

Hell no mate! This was one of the most frustrating jobs i've had to do on the S3, you're on your own :p

Westle, how much was the bend?

The bend was £22 mate. It's got metal on the inside with rubber around it. All the rubber has perrished and started to flake off of my exisiting pipe.

Anyone want to help me rip and burn this pcv system out of my car?

I've yet to do this on mine once I get a catch can, will rope my brother into it. Havent told him how much of a pia it's going to be, suggest you do the same (not my brother lol, but some other poor unsuspecting individual) :p

It's a lengthy job but it's bearable if you set the time aside to focus on it. I'd happily lend a hand but (a) you're 2 hours' drive away and (b) we've just added another baby to the family so I have zero time on my hands for cars at the moment.

Shame your too far away mate or i would have :).

hi,
any chance you could explain the problems you're getting with the PCV system. I'm trying to diganose a misfire at the moment and this is one area I'm looking at as some of the pipes feel really soggy around there.
Cheers

hi all,
what are the symptoms of problems with PCV vacuum system? Anyone had any issues with bad running / misfire which have been solved by cleaning this out and upgrading pipes?
cheers

vac leaks : bumpy idle, rough starts, poor fuel economy, oil clogging up the system. wont cause misfire. usually plugs, coil packs, coil pack wiring

alas

• Rough Running At Idle: MAF, Ignition Coil, Spark Plug, VAC Leak, O2 Sensor, TB, CTS
  • Missfires under Boost Flashing CEL: Ignition Coils, Spark Plugs
  • Running Rich: Boost Leak, MAF, O2 Sensor, Coolant Temp Sensor
  • Running Lean: VAC Leak, MAF, O2 Sensor, Fuel Filter
  • Low Boost: Limp Mode, MBC, BOV, DV, Boost Leak, N75
  • High Boost: MBC Setting, N75, Spark Plugs, Ignition Coils
  • Cold Start Problems: MAF, Spark Plugs, Fuel Pump Relay, CTS

i think the pipes can be replaced like fo like, but I am unsure which is ultimately better

@Dani, thanks

Last edited:
thanks finesse, v good fault find summary there, checked out price for two hoses in and out of PCV area at Audi today and £30 each for some pretty small amounts of rubber!

mine coming off for inspection and a good clean out at some point over Christmas break

OK, I've just been out & removed my catch can to check which way the bottom screw valve is "open" and which way is "closed". I have to admit that I was wrong in what I said above. It is closed when it is furthest away from the can and open when nearest to it.

Westle - I've also therefore been driving around with it open for the last few weeks, but luckily with it being Christmas and having just had a new baby boy I've not done many miles!

Thanks for confirming mate. HAve you had any issue with a funny smell in the car?

I emptied my can again yesterday after 4 weeks and there was a fair bit of water followed by oil in there! I changed over my 90 degree pipe and the old one seemed ok but a little perrished but no splits.

I used "Gunk" to degrease all the oil that had come from the can and splashed all over the bulk head and gearbox and drive shaft. I also went and bought a new air freshner and the smell is slowly going. I think I will use one of those air conditioner bomb things in the car to flush through the system in a finall attempt to get rid of the smell!

Thanks for confirming mate. HAve you had any issue with a funny smell in the car?

No, apart from when my 2 year old daughter gets in of course... To be honest I haven't done a lot of miles recently anyway so I haven't had the same problem as you. Glad I took it out & checked though!

I still cant clear this smell! I think I must have a split hose somewhere, I'll get my mech to take a look when it goes in for its next service.

On a side note, I'm managing to empty about 1 5th of a litre of oily water from the catch can every 4 weeks! Anyone else getting this much out of it???

Yep, I've managed to shift about the same amount on mine. I do approx 100miles per week, mostly short journies of 7-8 miles, maybe that has some part to play in the amount it's collecting?

When it starts draining out, it's all watery, the last bit that drains out can only be described and chicken jalfrezi puke :Flush:... nasty stuff.

Anyone else want to buy one of these catch cans ? Perhaps we can do another group buy or at least save on the postage ?

Yep, I've managed to shift about the same amount on mine. I do approx 100miles per week, mostly short journies of 7-8 miles, maybe that has some part to play in the amount it's collecting?

When it starts draining out, it's all watery, the last bit that drains out can only be described and chicken jalfrezi puke :Flush:... nasty stuff.

hmm spot on. I think most of it is just condesation from the short journeys in the cold. Lovely chicken cup o soup after the water has passed.

I'm only getting the brown stinky water. Probably 2-3 egg-cups* full (*standard unit of measure...!) every 2-3 weeks. I drive 12 miles to work & back 5 days a week and nothing much at weekends. No Jalfrezi or Cuppa Soup though. Still much better than it going back into the engine - best mod I've done so far I think.

Last edited:
Little tip for you guys if you haven't already been doing it. Take the car for a good run before you empty the catch can! I did today for the first time (always emptied the can when engine was cold) and I got 2 and a half cups of what I can only describe as thick hot chocolate. I'm assuming that this has been in the can for a while but never emptied because it wasn't warm enough to pass through!

Here is a little sample of the "hot chocolate" that's coming out of the can. I only emptied the can on Saturday and I still got half a cup out of it 3 days later after only about 30 miles!

2422-photo-feb-09-8-37-03.jpg

Nate, that catch can look fairly large in that pic, any idea of the measurements? You can always use a small length of 15-19 silicone to get the size ok to fit the rocker cover breather and the 90 degree bend that comes off the oil filter housing.

I'm also going to be changing my setup so that the system doesn't vent back to the TIP. I'm going to get a little breather then block the tip hole off.

Thats similar to what im running Nathan so yes, i bored my inlet/outlet out to 19mm and it is fine..:icon_thumright:

How did you bore out the ports Dave. Do you know if the one I linked has a baffled inside.

Nate, that catch can look fairly large in that pic, any idea of the measurements? You can always use a small length of 15-19 silicone to get the size ok to fit the rocker cover breather and the 90 degree bend that comes off the oil filter housing.

I'm also going to be changing my setup so that the system doesn't vent back to the TIP. I'm going to get a little breather then block the tip hole off.

Im not to sure on the measurements, may email and ask him, I like the fact that it comes with the level on the side and its cheap lol.

Ye thats what I was thinking about doing with the ports, using a straight adaptor from 15-19mm. So I take it you want to bin the PRV. Whats the benefit of not venting it back to the tip Westle.

I see what you mean. So if I understand this correctly. You will blank the TIP hole and remove the PRV completely from system. Then the inlet port on the catch can were the PRV would have been connected to you will put the breather cone on so its venting to the atmosphere. So the other Inlet port on the catch can will be connected to the rocker cover and oil filter housing via a T piece.

That sound right to you.

I see what you mean. So if I understand this correctly. You will blank the TIP hole and remove the PRV completely from system. Then the inlet port on the catch can were the PRV would have been connected to you will put the breather cone on so its venting to the atmosphere. So the other Inlet port on the catch can will be connected to the rocker cover and oil filter housing via a T piece.

That sound right to you.

That's spot on mate. This is what mine looks like at the moment:

Untitled.png

You also need to make sure the vent to atmosphere is low down in the engine bay so that the fumes dont end up coming into the cabin of the car.

Last edited:
Thats a pretty good little diagram you got there. For members who are confused about installing a catch can, that pic will make it a hole lot easier to understand.

I think im going to do it as your planning on changing your to westle. So the only thing you retain from the original breather system would be the 90 degree pipe from the oil filter housing and the one way valve for the brake servo.

One last question. What is wrong with using normal silicone piping for the catch can install as I replaced the hard pipe which comes from the Y piece (comes off he rocker cover) on the original setup with some silicone and its been fine.

Cheers westle great help. Im going to go and price up the things needed now.

Thats a good guide but im with you about not wanting to put the oil back into the sump after seeing some of the pics in this thread.