Oil cascade , down front of the sump

AGB-S3

Reaction score

Looking for pointers , what looked at first to be the sump plug 'weeping
is, actually oil dropping from higher up , running down the sump face

Other than the sump/block join, what other possible causes in that area ?
top of the engine looks quite dry , whats located low down at the front
of the engine ?

Thoughts ?

Tnx -G

Looking for pointers , what looked at first to be the sump plug 'weeping
is, actually oil dropping from higher up , running down the sump face

Other than the sump/block join, what other possible causes in that area ?
top of the engine looks quite dry , whats located low down at the front
of the engine ?

Thoughts ?

Tnx -G
Engine Sensors are in this area also oil filter how much is leaking?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Enough to leave marks on the road over night , its wet , but not at waterfall levels
had quick look during the mot*, but , couldn't see where it was originating ,
initially , thought had hit the sump on the deck

It running down the front face ..

Enough to leave marks on the road over night , its wet , but not at waterfall levels
had quick look during the mot*, but , couldn't see where it was originating ,
initially , thought had hit the sump on the deck

It running down the front face ..
Give it a good clean put some paper under overnight and see what appears defo engine oil no pas?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

good point, the pas cooler is in that area as well

the various diagrams , seemed to show nothing from the engine in that area, but the pipe work , would put Olly the octopus to shame , ridiculous amount of pipes ,

not the breather elbow is it?

Where is that located ?

Plastic , can get some engine fumes in via the heater , so , that's possible

any one , picture or part number for one ?

Tnx , try and get a closer look at that ,

Reactions: MPH
sorry, was on the school run, yeah, the elbow on mine had snapped but i didnt really notice it till i saw oil on the floor. think the pipe is about 33 quid from TPS. pretty much located dead center of the engine, at the front under the intake manifold. little ****** to get to if you got big hands ;)

-Possible issue then, back in the shop tues , see if thats the problem . or one of the problems ..

Alternator change as well, its only just charging , with no ancillary's on , the one day in the shop , starting to look like one week , however its passed the mot , set of new ns2r , which upto now work well in ice hail and rain ,

The alternator might just need a new regulator fitted...cheaper than a new alternator.

Possible, the shop would rather fit a exchange alternator , although the engine is number -3- the alt looks to be the original fit , mr sod predicts , fitting a new reg , would not clear the fault .. and 'he is usually right

Any way, hope springs eternal , new to me , haldex and newer rear diff + do-nut have eliminated the tesco hopp and drumming at 70 mph[ish] , new short vac hose has restored brakes , the new vac hose assy under the inlet manifold cleaned up engine response and the new 'oem re-circ valve has dispelled the odd lumpy, sometimes limited power/rpm boost , the mad chicken has flown the roost .... for now

Things to come , id the oil leak and swap over the damaged cooling fan and alternator

Last edited:
Alternator was wrecked , the free wheel over run was locked solid , new exchange unit works fine , never seen the dash illumination so bright ..oil leak turned out to be the cam box , had all 3 gaskets changed , needed special tool apparently , inspection of cam chain and cam position adjuster ,shop reports, all in good condition , confirms the cam position light , was the sensors , not mechanical issue ..s/hand fan plate fitted , no vibrations , secondary water pump replaced .... power train upgrades , work fine ...

Reactions: Asim1 and danny_dj3