Oil Burn

ScottyA

Reaction score
Evening folks,

Had my S1 since early July, 2,300 miles covered and had low oil warning indicator last week.

Checked it out, oil reading on dipstick was reading half way between max and min. Topped it up with 0.5ltr and all good but wondered if anyone had to do the same?

Audi just told me to top up and monitor but the guy in servicing seemed a bit reluctant with an answer when I asked if this should happen.

My last new car was never topped up between services, what makes me more sceptical is the oil change is not due on trip comp for 2 years? I assume most take it in for an oil change after a year, milage depandant?

Cheers

Hi
That's pretty normal and absolutely nothing to worry about.
I use to be a car technician and diesel fitter in the RAF.
I topped my last s1 up a couple of times in the first 4000 miles then the consumption was pretty negligible if any.
The 2.0 vag engine tends to use oil when bedding in if you read most vag group forums.
Also use the correct oil not sure but think it's 5w30 fully synthetic.
My last s1 didn't come with a free litre of oil.

Reactions: ScottyA, Retroman and DTYME83
`Most cars burn oil in conjunction with petrol, these days.
a five-litre tub of 5w30 should last about a year for general top ups in between your oil service (5w30 fully synthetic)
DTYME83

Reactions: ScottyA
That's pretty normal and absolutely nothing to worry about.
Totally agree with andy 1, my handbook actually says oil consumption can be higher over the first couple of thousand miles and that it should be checked more often during this initial period. Use fully synthetic 5W-30 with VAG approval 504/507

Reactions: ScottyA
Mine was using about a litre or so between services at first it's a bit better now

Reactions: ScottyA and DTYME83
From memory the owners manual says it'll burn about 0.5L/2000km. I'll have to take a photo as reference later