Oil between gearbox and engine?

Ronny_nordstrom

Reaction score
Hey. From where can this oil come from? it seems to be dripping out of the check holes from the underside where u can see your flywheel. Did a clucth service with a buddy and replaced the rear main seal and sealed it with gasket also. When looking into the hole the main seal i dry and flywheel. So no idea where this small oil can come from? Hard to explane, will try and get a photo next time i am under the car.

It's either coming from the gearbox output shaft seal or the crank seal. I know you said you replaced it but it could be a bad seal or it's been damaged during fitment. Either way it a gearbox out job to check what is going on.

It's either coming from the gearbox output shaft seal or the crank seal. I know you said you replaced it but it could be a bad seal or it's been damaged during fitment. Either way it a gearbox out job to check what is going on.
i checked inside the holes and didnt see any oil around the rear main seal there was coming oil before i did a main seal and clutch work. still comming

Skickat från min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk

Only other option is to check behind the engine, see if there is oil coming form the HG or rocker cover and it seeping between the gearbox housing & the engine, but I would suspect you would also see it on the edges of the gearbox housing. If that is fine then there are only 2 places oil is coming from.

Only other option is to check behind the engine, see if there is oil coming form the HG or rocker cover and it seeping between the gearbox housing & the engine, but I would suspect you would also see it on the edges of the gearbox housing. If that is fine then there are only 2 places oil is coming from.
valce over gasket is changed. How hard is it to swap HC gasket on there 1.8t?

If you have changed a cambelt before then you should have no problem with the HG, however that would be a very last resort in looking for the oil leak as it should be obvious if the HG has a fault. I'm more favour the valve cover they are known to leak oil, more so in the corners were they say to put a bit of silicone sealant.

Did you check the seal on the gearbox. The seals on my gearbox were leaking so replace the drive shaft seals & input shaft seal.

If you have changed a cambelt before then you should have no problem with the HG, however that would be a very last resort in looking for the oil leak as it should be obvious if the HG has a fault. I'm more favour the valve cover they are known to leak oil, more so in the corners were they say to put a bit of silicone sealant.

Did you check the seal on the gearbox. The seals on my gearbox were leaking so replace the drive shaft seals & input shaft seal.
but the oil seems to come from the top down. where is the gearbox seal? dumb question but..

I have done 3 timeing belts and balance shaft delete on B7 tfsi engines. and cam replacements

Upload 2020 11 9 23 3 26

Seal is behind the pressure plate. Sounds like you should easily replace a HG.

when we dropped down the gearbox, this side was dirty and oily. didn't change that seal. think i need to check with a camera inside if its leaking. did the clutch with a friend 1 month ago.