Oil - 2.0 TFSI

Sam W

Reaction score
So how much Oil do you lot go through?

Mines just had its second litre to top it up within a year, and at around a tenner or more for a litre bottle of shell helix ultra av-l it's not exactly cheap lol, and seems a little excessive over other cars I've owned, but reading the manual half a litre every 1000 km is acceptable...

I'm in two minds about weather I should take it in for an inspection under warranty...

I would say that half a litre per 1000km is about right, I tend to use about a litre every 1500 - 1700miles, it doesn't bother me too much as it tends to take quite a while for me to make up that mileage (cycle to work during the week most of the time).

Adam

why would you buy oil a litre ata time its expensive enough without that type of rip off

Because I'm not doing a full change on it and I've only found shell helix by the litre or by the barrel....Big no no to go mixing oils, so I'm stuck with what I've got until I change.

id take it in, im sure audi didnt design it to burn oil!?
my 1997 300 tdi landy discovery uses this sort of amount of oil and thats on nearly 160k!

if its under warrenty take it in!!

The time period is irrelevant. How many miles have you done for those 2 litres of oil?

I estimated it to be around 2000 miles per litre, although can't be certain so have made a note of my mileage this time.

I estimated it to be around 2000 miles per litre, although can't be certain so have made a note of my mileage this time.

2000 miles per litre? Forgive me but what are you worrying about? That's not remotely out of the ordinarry.

In every other car I've owned I've never had to top up between a service, so I've seen 8000 miles plus with little or no change in the level, that's why I was concerned, but I guess it's just something I'll have to live with.

Mine is using oil at about the same rate as yours. It's completely normal and nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on it. I had a Honda S2000 before the A4 and that used oil at a much higher rate, especially if you indulged in the 9,000rpm red line!!

You've been lucky before. My last A4, a 2.4 V6 petrol used about a litre every 1500 miles.

It's a common misconception that modern engines "don't use oil". I dealt with a negligence claim a few years ago from a Rover 75 owner who never bothered checking his oil level, and lo and behold one day his big shiny V6 went bang. It was barely a quarter full of oil. He claimed the garage that had serviced it five months and 7,000 miles earlier obviously hadn't filled it up to the correct level with new oil. He was expecting me to award him £4,000 compensation for the cost of anew engine against the credit card company through which he paid for the service! I soon put him straight.

Don't wait for the warning light to come on, either. By then, it could be too late

Last edited:
nowt wrong with that mate i had rsturbos+cosworths on a run from north east to oxford i used 0.5 of a litre

Since August I've done 2700 miles in my 2005, 2.0TFSI Quattro and oil level has dropped 2mm on the stick.

All this talk made me check mine this morning. So far, 2,500 miles, and not a drop seems to have been used.

(ironic, huh?)