Oh dear - coilpack failure?

Banwell

previously LeeS3
Reaction score
Travelling down the A1 passed leeds last night and sudden loss of power - mid over taking, very dangerous.

As well as the loss of power the starter motor indicator started flashing? WTF??

Anyway pulled over to hard shoulder and ran thru some checks.

Car is now running like a bag of nails and had to be recovered (at my own cost) back down to London..

NO one, not RAC or AA carry audi coil packs - only Audi Technicians.

Thought this one had passed me by - seems not. So all you others who are without roadside assist my want to look in to carrying backup coil packs just in case.

Spoke to Audi CS today and they are denying that there is a coil pack issue at present? WTF is that supposed to mean?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

The AA man told me that they sometimes carry them but somehow i dont beleive him that was the first time they went got it done under warrenty then the second time i had to tell the AA man what the problem was luckly still under warrenty but they only changed the 1 coil pack that was buggerd first time then on second visit they cahnged them all whilst trying to make it look like they were doing me a favour as my cars audiwarrenty ran out a couple of days later (its an import to) but since then have been told that audi should replaice old model coils under good will gesture n all that bollards so if they arent they new spec give it a go whats the worst they can say no. Good luck.

Very same thing happened to me.
Car started running as if on 3 pots as the engine management went onto its back up program and the engine light came on.
Crawled home and phoned the Audi garage. Sounds like the coil they said so dont be driving it too far.
I had the car taken to the garage by a friendly car transporter so saved on that cost
The part was replaced free of charge under warranty as this is a common problem. They said it would have cost at least €400 if I had to pay.
I purchaced the car in the UK last June and moved to Ireland end of the year. It was an import and its had a remap not that I informed the Audi garage of this but they were more than helpfull.
Audi Ireland obviously think there is coil pack problem, might be worth phoning Annesly Audi Dublin 0035318555991 see if they can help.

An Audi Roadside man told me that they will always replace coilpacks FOC due to the known issue, regardless of warranty. Therefore your dealer should do the same.

had a similar problem with mine a month or so ago.. When I picked it up from the dealer they checked to see if audi contribute and it wasapparently to be treated as if a 100% warranty job, so I didn't have to pay a thing. I didn't even have to ask the dealer check without me prompting (Martins in Basingstoke)

I had this last year - sounds terminally ill on 3 cylinders but not sure where you got a figure of €400 from. Mine's an import so Audi UK refused to cough up any compensation.

However as luck would have it the problem came on just as I was passing my mother's village garage so I was able to pull in safely. They identified the problem almost immediately and sourced 4 new coil-packs from Simpsons Audi in Lowestoft that morning. From memory it cost about £100 all-in for the diagnosis, 4 new coil-packs and fitting (which, having watched it done, let's face it is not a complicated task!).

Mine is also an import, out of warranty, yet I didn't have to pay a penny.