Offset & Tyre Size

Daniel97

Reaction score
I do not understand this period.

So my 2003 A4 Avant. What offset are my 16".

If i buy new wheels - what size offset is the minimum and maximum i can buy .. and what tyre size to i buy in relation to the offset. 18" Wheels btw.

Thanks!

18" You want 235/40/18
I run ET33 which is quite far out. I would think that'd be your limit and i wouldn't advise much higher figures than standard.

When I say higher figure i mean if the standard figure is 43 i wouldn't go to 48 as they'll sit too far in.

You'll not go wrong on ET35 with an 8" wheels, you can go a couple of mm either way with no real issues.

18's or 19's are personal choice, the forum contains fans of both.

so the bigger i go the harsher the ride, more expensive the tyre and looks better (arguable)

So 18's are my best choice then

Not true. 19's or 18's give the same feel. I have run both and feel no difference.

Not true. 19's or 18's give the same feel. I have run both and feel no difference.
On a smooth road maybe
It standards to reason the more profile of tyre you have the better the ride quality
Unless you live in a part of the uk that has smooth roads
That is a very rare place indeed .

On a smooth road maybe
It standards to reason the more profile of tyre you have the better the ride quality
Unless you live in a part of the uk that has smooth roads
That is a very rare place indeed .

I live in S. Wales Paul and there are NO smooth roads out here apart from a 500 mtr section of M4 just past Bridgend. The sport suspension on my A4 was firm and now i'm on a combo of coilovers it's still just like the sport setup the 19's or 18's just feel the same to me.. The polo we have Now that's harsh even on a 45 profile.. I feel it's the suspension setup not the wheel and tyre setup

so the bigger i go the harsher the ride, more expensive the tyre and looks better (arguable)

So 18's are my best choice then

GO BIG OR GO HOME.....Nar its personnal choice i run 19" X5 alloys 9J front 10J rears with 225/35 fronts and 235/35 rear my front E.T IS 28 just inside the arch and i DO mean JUST and rear ET 27 out of the arch by 6/8 mm but thats because there 10J with 18mm adapters.....

As for the ride i ran 19" porsche cayannes on my A3 with 215/35s all around and had Eibachs on and the ride was to hard, but with my current setup on the A4 and standard sport springs the rides fine, just avoid potholes....

For an 8J (8") wheel, the S4 Avus III's are ET45.... I'd advise for going for that as the safety option or within 5mm of that. Between ET45 and ET40 if you can't get exactlyt he same as the S4 spec.

For looks, I wouldn't go below ET50 - they'll sit in too far.

Some people will swear by ET33 or ET30, sometimes that looks usable, but it does look more than a litte risky on others as they will stick out a LOT, I wouldn't advise buying anything lower than ET40 unless you have the option to try before you buy.