OFF TOPIC! CAR INSURANCE!

vorsprung dork

Reaction score
HELP PLEASE! my 17 year old nephew has just passed his test and has been quoated £4000 to insure a 1.2 corsa!!!!!!!! as the only person who knows anything about car mechanics i hav been tasked with finding test driving an haggeling for a car for him! hes got about 2 k to buy a car and 2k for insurance! what cars would he be able to buy insure for this! i know its off topic but i can be botherd to spend hours on comparethemeartwat looking at 950 fiesta insurance!:banghead:

old shape pandas are group 1 insureance, shitroen AX are a low group, but any car for a lad of that age will be high, my mate tried to insure a 106 1.1 so nothing special and was getting quotes of £4k he to was 17

i think it depends on the car mate! i got a quote on a 53 reg 1,2 punto it was just under 2k but fiats ar tragic! saying that tho he will most likley right it off within 6 months! statisticly!

Young driver's are feeling the pinch when it come's to there first 5 year's of driving, it's good in some way's as it hold's them back for a few year's.

Tell him to get a moped.
It looks like that may be all the young ones will be able to afford to insure nowadays.

That would be great if did.

Getting a moped is not such a bad idea, you do get no claims bonus build ups from them and 1 or 2 years no claims is a lot better than none at that age, I know of a few lads who have got insurance on a moped that doesn't even run just to insure it to build up there's for that such reason,

Good idea for those starting out

What these insurance companies dont tell you is that they are making millions of £'s profit by ripping us all off, saying that its the people that dont have insurance that have accidents & this pushes up the price, so why not make the people that dont have it and they have an accident pay for everything out of there own pockets & not ours.

Mr Angry

What these insurance companies dont tell you is that they are making millions of £'s profit by ripping us all off, saying that its the people that dont have insurance that have accidents & this pushes up the price, so why not make the people that dont have it and they have an accident pay for everything out of there own pockets & not ours.

Mr Angry

Hear, Hear!!!!!

On a more serious note, the problem with this country is there is no proper accountability. As Mr Angry rightly said, If the prat drives without insureance, the insurance company should be able to claim the whole amount back off the offender from whatever his source of income, and I'm not talking tupence a month here. If he then has no benefits left then tough. The same with vandalism or criminal damage. They should work to pay off the cost of repair.

I feel calm now.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

cause if they had money they would buy insurance.

uninsured drivers count for about 50 quid of your premium.

Front him tbh, cars in dads name and him as a nominated driver.

PLumits the cost down. not strictly legal but he could have a nicer car and as long as his dad drives it a bit nothing wrong.

Maybe he should buy a cheap old classic then join a club im sure cheaper options are there ? Try get his ncb down for a few years? Insurance is a con in this country .To many dodgy claims ruining it for genuine people IMO .

To many dodgy claims ruining it for genuine people IMO .

Dude, you have no idea!! The number of insurance queries that I deal with nowadays is ridiculous!!
and its mainly minicab drivers and dodgy car hire companies that are behind it all.

Always buy a brand new Pug, £300 a month inc 3 years servicing, insurance etc....dont ever own the car but you get a nice new car with no maintenece worries for 3 years....

Any couple with a child at home all drivers should consider this new Admiral multicar policy.We have 2 Audi 2.5 Quattros a1.0 micra and sons MR2 all fully covered for about £850pa about 60% of total of separate policies

cause if they had money they would buy insurance.

uninsured drivers count for about 50 quid of your premium.

So if they have a house take that or there flat screen tv's. If you get into debt then you'll get the debt collectors or bailiffs round whats the difference ay

better than doing a dodgy and "fronting" him.... get a quote on elephant.co.uk and add up to three older drivers with clean histories (WHO HAVE THEIR OWN CARS)... it took about 70% off my premium when I was 20 and even at the grand old age of 30, it's still taking about 40% off!

I do genuinely swap cars with my folk if I need the loan on my mum's MPV or my dad's A6.

My first car was a 1.4 Vauxhall Nova Merit (saloon!). Cost me just below 1k for insurance first year, and about 700 for the 2nd year.

Then I got a 2003 a4, 2.0 and that was only 900. Now I currently have a RS4 replica on a 3.2 and it only coats me £1100. I've only been driving 5 years with 3 years no claims.

One thing I've found recently is that by saying my car is modified it makes the insurance cheaper! Ridiculous!

My first car was a 1.6 sierra.
Cost me little under £1000 to insure.

Try and stay away from the typical teenager car and he should be better on the insurance.

Volvo are always good for a first car, and 340s have a bit of cred these days too

Didnt Top Gear research this and concluded VOLVO! On a different note My first car was an uno turbo fully pimped rocket and i paid £1300 third party only (crazy) and that was 15 + years ago. Now my 2.5tdi qs only cost £350 all in. Its all age discrimination,where you live,annual mileage etc etc. Are there any certified higher level courses to do that are recognised by the insurers? maybe worth a look

i just cant believe that the mrs gets cheaper insurance, she passed within 3 weeks of me and we both have the same details and for her on my car is 200 quid cheaper.

plain discrimination and shouldnt be a factor imo. they pay tenis players the same even though the women play less sets!!!

cheers guys! may i just ad that i was insuring a 1.9tdi 130 se quattro which is now the wifes on an 04 and i changed my insurance to an 04 2.5 tdi sport avant the avant is £20 a year less to insure! how do they come to that conclusion????????

HELP PLEASE! my 17 year old nephew has just passed his test and has been quoated £4000 to insure a 1.2 corsa!!!!!!!! as the only person who knows anything about car mechanics i hav been tasked with finding test driving an haggeling for a car for him! hes got about 2 k to buy a car and 2k for insurance! what cars would he be able to buy insure for this! i know its off topic but i can be botherd to spend hours on comparethemeartwat looking at 950 fiesta insurance!:banghead:
that was my sons first car about 3/4 years ago, his was £1200 iirc, but that was then when there was a lot of compatition
(sp)for younger/new drivers, but due to some of them going bust thats not the case. just keep shopping around and haggling with each company

ha ha ha! you may have a point there! thing is tho james i have a 1.9 130 quattro and a 2.5 163 and they are equally as good as each other! and as the 1.9 is remaped there really is nothing in it! in fact dont tell anyone but the 1,9 is dare i say it far more responsive and maybe faster than the 2.5!

cheers guys! may i just ad that i was insuring a 1.9tdi 130 se quattro which is now the wifes on an 04 and i changed my insurance to an 04 2.5 tdi sport avant the avant is £20 a year less to insure! how do they come to that conclusion????????

all about the profile of the people who have made claims in the past and what sort of accidents they have, how likely they are to be at fault, how likely they are to actually claim, etc, etc...

my first car was an E30 BMW 316i (>£4k for insurance, but dropped to about £1400 with adding my parents as named drivers)... when I was looking to get my next car (an E36) a 318i was about 10% MORE to insure than the equivalent spec'd 323i - I ended up going for a Golf and thus starts my road to Audi :)

Last edited: