Off to have the brakes fixed

2 new contis though...was that the booby prize?

Only kidding, well played, even free contis are (slightly ;)) better than nothing!

Reactions: 45bvtc
235/35/19 conti 5 cost me £440 from audi back in november ,so its not a bad deal ...

It's a good deal John, I was only kidding, just my sense of humour and because I prefer the Pilot Super Sports.

Put it this way its better than what i got lol stop talking about super sports i want a set :)

They work great with the AP/Pagid set up too, you can really extract all the grip with that stopping power. I'm running out of suspension now, I need coilovers!

Well I got a new Q7 for the day aswell! I guess that was the booby prize lol! I'll be buying some winter tyres in a few months anyway so I am happy with the contis for now.

They work great with the AP/Pagid set up too, you can really extract all the grip with that stopping power. I'm running out of suspension now, I need coilovers!

GTR...

Reactions: MBK
Well I got a new Q7 for the day aswell! I guess that was the booby prize lol! I'll be buying some winter tyres in a few months anyway so I am happy with the contis for now.

I had a Q7 for a couple of days. It felt broken, compared to the RS3 and really made me appreciate getting it back! I can recommend Michelin PA4 for winter tyres...

Only reason I asked was when c/s rang the other day I mentioned my car is due a service, he said he can sort that now if required how much is a first service these days? I guess it's just an oil change.
ubbs

Only reason I asked was when c/s rang the other day I mentioned my car is due a service, he said he can sort that now if required how much is a first service these days? I guess it's just an oil change.
ubbs

£199.79 at Stafford Audi for BLUEY's first 'Inspection Service' @ 3021 miles: included oil and filter change...

Cheers John £200 doesn't sound bad even better if its free.
ubbs

cough, 2 days to fit brakes and do a software update........ just received a call to say 'not going to be done until next week as software update has bugged and they can't get it to take'

erm.... im not happy, needed my car this weekend! They gave me a car with no nav, no bluetooth, its CRAP!

cough, 2 days to fit brakes and do a software update........ just received a call to say 'not going to be done until next week as software update has bugged and they can't get it to take'

erm.... im not happy, needed my car this weekend! They gave me a car with no nav, no bluetooth, its CRAP!
i'd be asking for their r8 v10 demo for the weekend!!

Cheers John £200 doesn't sound bad even better if its free.
ubbs

Personally, my advice would be don't deal too early - yes it's fab that Audi are replacing almost the full breaking system - which in itself i know is pleasing to know against the wear and tear of owners pads and discs - but remember, particularly those who have had the issue for months - and more importantly recorded at Audi UK - a service is a nice gesture, but if Audi said when you first experienced the problem, "here is £200 now go away for a few months" would you have been happy to persevere with the squeal for months?

For me you know the answer, but before I decided upon a full refund I had various other 'goodwill' negotiations. I do however appreciate the thought of a fix of this magnitude (assuming it works) is a form of compo in itself - in depreciation terms - as appose to a set of shims as the fix.

Just out of interest, I wonder what a dealership would charge for the cost of the fix parts and labour assuming it was a bill to a customer....I'd stray a guess at £6k??? And I ask this for a reason......

Why not collectively write to Mr Sander - quoting sale of goods act - and then suggest your collective offer of compromise......maybe suggest servicing for 3 years and extended 5 year warranty....or £5k off your next purchase on a £40k car in the next 2 years; or an R8 for a week; or at the very least a courtesy of explanation as to the reasoning behind this expense of fix......as they don't replace all these parts surely for purely an audible cosmetic fault?

...don't get me wrong, though for all my whining, the RS3 is by far the best car I have owned and made by replacement such a difficult choice but in the end an easy one ;-)

Ment to put my update on but went on holiday.. Anyway, audi Stratford had my RS3 week before last. Picked it up from my house at 8am, dropped it back at 5pm the same day...They did offer me a courtesy car but I was off work anyway. They fixed the break squeal and agreed the wind noise on drivers door was too loud so they slightly repositioned the door. All fine and dandy until I get in car and have 15 miles of fuel left (it went with 1/4 tank) and was told they would put fuel in as needed to bed in the breaks, but they obviously didn't remember to pop to a petrol station on their way back to me. Audi customer service called the next day to see if i was happy and I complained. Apparently I will be be getting something in form of reimbursement. After all why am I paying for a problem that audi have taken an age to fix? and then to drop it back running on fumes isn't on.
But the problem is fixed!! No more squeaks! Breaks feel nice and spongy!

Reactions: quattro81 and 45bvtc
Ment to put my update on but went on holiday.. Anyway, audi Stratford had my RS3 week before last. Picked it up from my house at 8am, dropped it back at 5pm the same day...They did offer me a courtesy car but I was off work anyway. They fixed the break squeal and agreed the wind noise on drivers door was too loud so they slightly repositioned the door. All fine and dandy until I get in car and have 15 miles of fuel left (it went with 1/4 tank) and was told they would put fuel in as needed to bed in the breaks, but they obviously didn't remember to pop to a petrol station on their way back to me. Audi customer service called the next day to see if i was happy and I complained. Apparently I will be be getting something in form of reimbursement. After all why am I paying for a problem that audi have taken an age to fix? and then to drop it back running on fumes isn't on.
got mine back from the fuel pump update and had the same, Gem - no fuel! They told me to fill it up and they'd pay for a full tank.. It is pretty poor organisation, though. Mine's going in Tuesday for brakes and drivers door alignment.. The door is so far out, looking down the swage line is downright embarrassing! I wonder what drama will occur next..?! Still love the car though, despite Audi's best efforts to spoil the experience :laugh:

Mine was the same i had no fuel left after the updates ,thanks audi...

got mine back from the fuel pump update and had the same, Gem - no fuel! They told me to fill it up and they'd pay for a full tank.. It is pretty poor organisation, though. Mine's going in Tuesday for brakes and drivers door alignment.. The door is so far out, looking down the swage line is downright embarrassing! I wonder what drama will occur next..?! Still love the car though, despite Audi's best efforts to spoil the experience :laugh:

I certainly wouldn't be letting them re-adjust my door after all the agro the CARRG had with his and it's still noisy...sorry but no dice...:jester:

Personally, my advice would be don't deal too early - yes it's fab that Audi are replacing almost the full breaking system - which in itself i know is pleasing to know against the wear and tear of owners pads and discs - but remember, particularly those who have had the issue for months - and more importantly recorded at Audi UK - a service is a nice gesture, but if Audi said when you first experienced the problem, "here is £200 now go away for a few months" would you have been happy to persevere with the squeal for months?

For me you know the answer, but before I decided upon a full refund I had various other 'goodwill' negotiations. I do however appreciate the thought of a fix of this magnitude (assuming it works) is a form of compo in itself - in depreciation terms - as appose to a set of shims as the fix.

Just out of interest, I wonder what a dealership would charge for the cost of the fix parts and labour assuming it was a bill to a customer....I'd stray a guess at £6k??? And I ask this for a reason......

Why not collectively write to Mr Sander - quoting sale of goods act - and then suggest your collective offer of compromise......maybe suggest servicing for 3 years and extended 5 year warranty....or £5k off your next purchase on a £40k car in the next 2 years; or an R8 for a week; or at the very least a courtesy of explanation as to the reasoning behind this expense of fix......as they don't replace all these parts surely for purely an audible cosmetic fault?

...don't get me wrong, though for all my whining, the RS3 is by far the best car I have owned and made by replacement such a difficult choice but in the end an easy one ;-)

Elton, the cost would be just over £2k, I asked this very question last week.

I found this at first but the sponginess goes away and the bite feels about as good as before after a few hundred miles, although maybe just a little less crisp. Brake response in very wet weather seems greatly improved from one test run last week...

Woo hoo my parts will be at the dealership tomorrow!! Trouble is I'm laid up after a knee op!

I cannot see that Audi tech's bedded in the brakes! How long would that have taken them and how many miles?
Do they have a strict bedding in procedure, i doubt it!?? They are not allowed over 70 can't see tech's braking hard from 90+

Brake fluid bleed twice but no miles on mine.

Window frame can be adjusted slightly to reduce wind noise not the door!!

Audi are doing a fine job of ruining the RS brand...

Ask Audi CS for free service over the shocking brake palava 99% sure you will get it...Still not enough tho as Elton says.

:keule: GREAT car the RS3 being soiled by incompetents...

I'm getting so fed up posting this line Audi UK so maybe, one day, you might get on to the message and sort out your woeful after sales service!
:sadlike:

I agree.

They will have taken the car for a test run to make sure you have brakes / no air in the lines etc but no way they'd bed them in.

I agree.

They will have taken the car for a test run to make sure you have brakes / no air in the lines etc but no way they'd bed them in.

I was told that my brakes were bedded in when I picked it up. Took this with a degree of scepticism...

It seems Brembo have some generic advice about braking 3 times from varying speed (speed not specified) with 1/2 mike intervals in between to allow the system to cool and avoid thermal shock. Then 'several miles' of driving without braking to fully cool the new components.

That's all a bit non specific for me but I suspect that's the kind of procedure they've done as part of the test run.

It seems Brembo have some generic advice about braking 3 times from varying speed (speed not specified) with 1/2 mike intervals in between to allow the system to cool and avoid thermal shock. Then 'several miles' of driving without braking to fully cool the new components.

That's all a bit non specific for me but I suspect that's the kind of procedure they've done as part of the test run.

But I'm ONLY human... what chance have I? :respekt:

I'd trust your bedding in knowledge and procedure anytime over that generic blurb!

You and me Mark, you and me... :meeting:

I just don't understand where these 'professionals' get it from :sadlike:

Hey ho! :jester:

Thinking on, as one does, I did notice (Monday last) Moschops NEW brakes after a week or so of his driving that: 1) there was as Wayne put it lots of brake dust, and I mean lots, and 2) that the micro-grind on the brake disc surfaces was still quite noticeable.

So, softer pads - which I think we all knew, but a harder composition of the brake friction surface, which is why the change to the 'B' suffix of the NEW brake disc part number - maybe?

Last edited:
Totally agree ! It seems if it can't be plugged into a computer they can't help.

500 miles post brake fix and the squeaking noise is back. Really not impressed with it and gradually falling out with the car, seriously considering getting something else now :(

500 miles post brake fix and the squeaking noise is back. Really not impressed with it and gradually falling out with the car, seriously considering getting something else now :(

That is NOT good news but your NOT the first to report it... That is really is NOT good news

QUESTION: is that similar mileage to experience brake-squeal as with your original brakes?

No it's not at all I'm really frustrated with it! Originally started singing about 2500 miles, then Audi changed pads..started again after roughly 500-1000 miles, then again 500 miles after official brake fix I'm back to square one.Been looking on the trader for something else but nothing compares, plus I cant insure anything 'better' until I'm 25 so another RS model is out of the equation.

I can recommend finchy256 a fix that'll COST you ALL of £4.99 in parts with FREE postage off eBay.

I can also send you chapter and verse on how to apply the said £4.99 fix and it'll take you all of 2-hours to apply :readit:

I really can't understand why Audi/Brembo are doing what they are doing... IT does NOT make sense to me at all! :think:

Posted many times - BLUEY and me are gonna wait till last to have the 'recommended' Audi/Brembo 'fix' applied. :sadlike:

BLUEY's brakes are just fine :thumbsup:

For the RECORD: I originally reported horrendous brake squeal to Stafford Audi on 3rd February 2012 @ 1315 miles and received the usual :ermm:

I then went home and sorted the issue myself and since then have been writing regularly to Audi UK to provide an economically viable solution... :keule:

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and MBK
:iagree:, if I was Audi I'd have bought a job lot of the shims or a few bottles of Mintex Cera Tec which works perfectly even under hard use, and as stated has no negative impact on the ESP/ABS system.

And of course these Vagbrembtechnic AP discs and Pagid RS4 blue work perfectly and squeal free - but if it's just road use you want the shims or Ceratec will do the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 45bvtc and Kelza

Really sorry to hear this news. Just to clarify, did you get the discs/callipers/pads recently changed under warranty? I've had this done and driven >500 miles so far and haven't heard a squeak. If I do however, it's back to Audi with the car - no second chances.

Really sorry to hear this news. Just to clarify, did you get the discs/callipers/pads recently changed under warranty? I've had this done and driven >500 miles so far and haven't heard a squeak. If I do however, it's back to Audi with the car - no second chances.

Woa..that's a bummer, hope you get it sorted fella. :scared2:

Hey finchy256: please don't let the Audi/Brembo mess upset your enjoyment of a truly fabulous motorcar! :aggressive:

If you have had the full Audi/Brembo front brake upgrade: discs, calipers, pads, and mountings, and they're now 'squealing' again, then I'd strongly consider MBK's resolution (as well as my own).

In fact, if and when mine/BLUEY's brakes are done, and having seen the copious amounts of brake dust produced by these 'softer' brake pads on other post-modified RS3 Audi/Brembo brakes, then (unless I can hang on to my current perfectly OK for me original brake pads) I too will be fitting the Pagid RS4 blue pads as per Mr. MBK's Misano red beasty!
:salute:

Reactions: MBK