Off set

harley141213

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me the correct off set ( ET) for wheels to go on a 2011 tfsi Quattro?

ive not got the time at the moment to be taking wheels off to check. I’m
Looking to replace the standard wheels on my dynamik. I’ve looked on eBay, some are listing correct figment as ET 35 while others are listing ET 45.
I think I’m right in saying the lower the offset the wider the wheel will sit, ie sticks out further?

thanks

It is the combination of offset and wheel width that determines how far the wheel sits in the arch, for example the standard 19” size on a B8 a4 is 8.5j et43 and that sits about 7-10mm inside the arch iirc

Ok thanks, so I’m i right in thinking if I go for a smaller offset, say 35, the wheel sits closer to the arch, potentially giving a wider stance?

Ok thanks, so I’m i right in thinking if I go for a smaller offset, say 35, the wheel sits closer to the arch, potentially giving a wider stance?

Consider this (for my 8P RS3 and the same 8.5J as Simon references above) but it'll help you appreciate changing the ET and the relative position of the outside wheel rim face to the hub:

ET

Hope this helps

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I’m just looking at a range of different wheels. Some are replica some are none Audi style. All are saying they will fit my 2011 A4, however offset varies from ET 35 to ET 45.
I don’t as want you buy something that’s going to catch the arches on full lock.
Does anyone know what the standard Audi offset is on a 2011 A4.

I must have been asleep at school the day they did quantum physics, as the above diagram baffles me.

thanks very much

Reactions: 45bvtc
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I’m just looking at a range of different wheels. Some are replica some are none Audi style. All are saying they will fit my 2011 A4, however offset varies from ET 35 to ET 45.
I don’t as want you buy something that’s going to catch the arches on full lock.
Does anyone know what the standard Audi offset is on a 2011 A4.

I must have been asleep at school the day they did quantum physics, as the above diagram baffles me.

thanks very much

Sorry, lol, here's an explanation of the diagram and ET measurements: the wheel rim you listed earlier is an 8.5J, that is the same as my 8P RS3 rims, and so I used that for my example/diagram to assist other 8P RS3 owners several years back.

Note 1: Offset is usually stamped or engraved into the wheel and is measured in millimetres of 'ET' [ET is the short form of the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which literally translates as 'insertion depth']

Note 2: go here for wheel data for a 2011 A4: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a4+avant/a4/2011-636/6/

To de-baffle the diagram:

The overall width of my 8P RS3 8.5J wheel rim is 257mm and my ET is 53mm. The ET 53(mm) is measured OUT from the centre line of the wheel rim.

The calculation therefore is: 257/2 minus 53 = 75.5mm. Therefore, from the wheel mounting face/hub to the outside face/edge of the wheel rim the distance is 75.5mm

Now consider your issue "some are listing correct figment as ET 35 while others are listing ET 45"

Using the same formula, an 8.5J rim with an ET of 35 then the outside face/edge of the wheel rim will be 257/2-35 = 93.5mm, again from the wheel mounting face/hub to the outside face/edge of the wheel rim.

Similarly, an 8.5J rim with an ET of 45, the outside face/edge of the wheel rim will be 257/2-45 = 83.5mm from the wheel mounting face/hub to the outside face/edge of the wheel rim.

So the larger the ET number the closer the outside edge of the wheel rim will be to the wheel mounting face/hub.

Hope this helps

Thanks.

I managed to pick out the relevant bit, and now have the answer re correct ET of 35 for my car.

tbh there was a point where I was considering offering the question to Queens College Oxford For an extra bonus point.

got it in the end . Thanks for the time taken to reply.

Reactions: 45bvtc