OEM front brake pads or Brembo sport front pads

UTFSI

Reaction score
Hello lads
It's time for me to replace the front pads for the car. I would like to know the difference between the oem Audi rs3 /TTRS front pads vs the Brembo sport OE front pads. The oem audis are £280 from the dealership and the brambos are £150. Nearly half the price. Is it worth getting the oem ones again ? Or just for the Brembo OE's?
Anyone know the quality stiffened between the two pads?

I nearly bought the Brembo sport pads as i was suffering terrible squeal, in the end after 2 visits to Audi and 2 new sets of everything i decided enough was enough, so i fitted EBC Redstuff (they are actually listed for Subaru / Mitsubishi) now over 6000 miles later and not had any squeal of any sort, the redstuff have also very low dust levels.

I cut my wear sensor off and soldered the wire together as the Redstuff pads didn't support Audi wear sensors, however when i looked into my coding with Vag-com the brake pad wear sensor was already disabled in special functions II, so i may have been better just unplugging it...........

Apparently the Brembo sports pads are squeal free. Do you know the pad volume from the oem Audi pads and Brembo?
I never used EBC pads..

Can't comment on the Brembo sport pad I do know user 45bvtc on here bought a set but never used them as he used the EBC Redstuff instead, I know they like the EBC don't accept the OEM wear sensors.

The original Audi / Brembo (Pagid material) for me are rubbish and I'll never go back to them, took my second set straight out after less than 100 miles as they were squealing like b*******y

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These were my first set of replacement discs after 8000 miles look how the Audi OEM pads had scored the discs
cid_image004_jpg01CF5DFD.jpg

Wow is this causing you vibration?

Thank you for the answers and help mate.
How would you compare the braking quality with the EBC vs Audi pads?

Thank you for the answers and help mate.
How would you compare the braking quality with the EBC vs Audi pads?

REDSTUFF is so much better and provides more pedal feel than either the original and/or 47i6 brake upgrade.

If REDSTUFF don't work for you then I guess you'll be the firs
t!

Great thank you people. I have ordered the ebc pads see how they go!

Great thank you people. I have ordered the ebc pads see how they go!

No worries UTFSI; I've spent a lot of time with Audi trying to sort front brake issues on this car both pre and post 47i6; as you'll read elsewhere I just thought I'd give these a go (I'm an ex Chief Engineer with responsibilities for motor vehicle development and that includes brakes) and having tried them myself am prepared to promote. Fortunately Veneeringman has gone down the same route and we've both now found how good REDSTUFF is for the RS3 (and I suspect TTRS, too).

Hopefully you'll fit 'em and report back positive results :thumbs up:

PM me if you've any questions...

caad52c468c5876d6e03c5d118afcbd2.jpg

Well I have also gone for that route as well. I will be fitting these over the weekend. I'll keep the thread inform with my experience!

Reactions: 45bvtc
SNAP! Don't forget the rears, UTFSI...

P1020130x_zpsdce0a554.jpg

hey guy's, where did you get the red stuff's front from? I can't find them anywhere, not even the EBC website

hey guy's, where did you get the red stuff's front from? I can't find them anywhere, not even the EBC website

I had mine done a couple of weeks ago and so far they are ****** fantastic, i did a summary of the info i trawled from various posts, incl links to buy the pads

Summary

47i6 upgrade - Brembo parts
Front rotor part number for the 47i6 upgrade is: 8P0.615.301.B

EBC Red Stuff:

Front Pads - DP31210C FRTUNING
Rear Pads - DP31518C FRTUNING

modify the front nearside brake sensor wear cable
1) just cut the cable at the brake pad end
2) strip the outer cover from both inner cables and join and solder together
3) re-fit the outer tube, wrap over and seal
4) refit.

Reactions: Hammy969 and 45bvtc
Just ordered a set of these on a whim. I've got the Brembo sport pads up front but they tend to hiss loudly in dry conditions and hopefully it will be window down weather soon...

I assumed these pads will fit a 15 plate Rs as my warning light had just come on after only covering 8k mile.
Is that about right for the OEM pads ?

No

8V front pads are different as you have 8 pot callipers with 4 pads in each caliper.

Rears are also different as caliper has electronic handbrake.

This thread refers to the original 8P RS3

Reactions: fanshu and 45bvtc
Can't comment on the Brembo sport pad I do know user 45bvtc on here bought a set but never used them as he used the EBC Redstuff instead, I know they like the EBC don't accept the OEM wear sensors.

The original Audi / Brembo (Pagid material) for me are rubbish and I'll never go back to them, took my second set straight out after less than 100 miles as they were squealing like b*******y

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg
My 2012 RS3 is having the number - 8P0.615.301 - is that without the B is the old disc?
And I have ordered a set of front and rear RBC red brake pads, waiting to deliver to my London address and ship back to HK. When we disable the senor wire, do we have any engine light on?

I imported the US EBC spec pad which allow the Audi sensor to be refitted.

If you don't have a sensor you can do one of two things.

Find and switch off the sensor with VCDS.
Or the easier option and this keeps the plugs clean, chop off the old sensor plug , solder or crimp the wires together, and seal up with electrical tape. This will prevent an error on your dash.

Reactions: v8jas, fanshu and 45bvtc
To be clear, don't cut the car's harness, cut the brake pad sensor and make a dummy / shorting plug with that.

Thanks, Paul. However, I am still waiting for the delivery, said will give me a tracking number, but more than a week, no info.

Hi Paul, got the brake pads and installed already, thanks. The first 50km feel quite good.

Just want to check if you guys will polish the discs before changing the pads? I did not this time but feel good and no sound so far.

But still early and have to let the pads bed-in, right?

But still early and have to let the pads bed-in, right?

took me about 15 minutes to bed mine in, i went from 70-20 10 times in a row, brakes worked brilliantly, i didn't bother with the 200 mile gentle driving (as if that would ever happen :p)

haha yes, today feel the brake even better. Thanks again Sir.:rock::rock::rock:

haha yes, today feel the brake even better. Thanks again Sir.:rock::rock::rock:

And yet another content 8P RS3 owner/driver/user of EBC Redstuff front-disc brake pads...

Good job, fanshu; now install a set of Redstuff to them rears - while change to the overall brake efficiency may not be as noticeable as at the front a set on the rear will be way more brake-disc friendly than them OEM items, just sayin'... :whistle2:

Just to repeat post #18 above as the photo (with STD OEM rear disc) went missing :sadlike::

P1000512x

Last edited:
Reactions: fanshu and Paul-RS6
Thanks "45bvtc", I bought the whole set - front and rear at the same time, and yes, feel very good and completely no sound!

It is definitely a very good recommendation, as no point to change the pads and rotor at the moment.

And you've a much better brake pedal feel, fanshu; the original pads had a flat back and a good pedal but then Audi changed to the directional pads (47i6) and these had cut-outs in the back of the pad that did/do nothing other than increase pedal travel; spent way too uch time trying to convince Audi UK of the error, but hey...

Next you should fit MTEC rear discs, zero improvement in braking but (I think) they do look good...

P1030405mod

Reactions: fanshu and Paul-RS6
253ce820e5637c1ddc85105ed1f84dbc.png
2e52bd5c682ed94b035b7aab23cd5171.png

They look very good John, just so happens I too took your advice few months back :)

Reactions: 45bvtc and fanshu
And you've a much better brake pedal feel, fanshu; the original pads had a flat back and a good pedal but then Audi changed to the directional pads (47i6) and these had cut-outs in the back of the pad that did/do nothing other than increase pedal travel; spent way too uch time trying to convince Audi UK of the error, but hey...

Next you should fit MTEC rear discs, zero improvement in braking but (I think) they do look good...

View attachment 99351
It looks beautiful and match the front disc!!

Do you guys track on redstuff? Consensus on ttrs owners group is that redstuff is trash, more for less powerful lighter cars, a few people run yellow stuff happily.

Anywah brembo sports will destroy your discs steer clear