OEM Bluetooth

Livermanx

Reaction score
Hi,
First Question on forum having moved from A2 owners forum.
I have a A3 sportsback sports 2.0tdi 2009. 8p version with Concert 2 radio head. I have the steering controls for Voice and a micro phone in the roof which came as oem, but no module installed. Looking to install a module. Question will any 8p module fit in my car? Full chassis num: WAUZZZ8P59B020732.

PS, some of my fixs made on my A2 & A3 youtube channel:
Regards

AFAIK any module will fit, with varying degrees of functionality.
Furthermore, some modules are seemingly more trouble than others so it's best to go for the latest one that you can.
There's a complete list in this thread;

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=867817

When I fitted my system last year I went for the latest module which I believe is 8P1 862 335.

What makes you think you have a microphone already installed?
It's located up in the roof console (it clips into an oblong recess into the plastic console cover) and the cable runs along the near side roof A pillar; if you have one already it sounds as if your car once had bluetooth fitted?
The factory-fitted location for the module is in a plastic box buried under the carpet beneath one of the front seats (not sure which side as kept reading conflicting reports whether the side changed for LHD/RHD) so if you really have an OEM microphone installed could you still have a module there somewhere?

Hi, Nessy, Thanks for getting back to us. Looking at the roof console, I always noticed what seems to be a fixed Micro phone, from the outside it looks like one and from the inside there is a white wire feed from it to the unit beside it, that being a part number: 8P0 951 177 Ive attached pics of it? When I hook up VAG-COM and check the telephone feed it returns module not found, so I assume there is no Bluetooth installed. A quick look under the passenger seat by the little plastic cover which the seat wire go into, next to it is a black poly box ( cant get into it without fully dismantling the fixtures and carpet, which I don't wish to do at this stage), So I assume that's where the Bluetooth module will sit. A few questions are :

1, Is it a mic and if so will it lead to where the bluetooth module should be?
2, given that, will there be a loom already there and I just need to plug in the module.

My steering wheel has the Mode switch and Voice switch on it, but when pressed it returns 'no function' display. When I try to arm it in VAGCOM changing the codes in the radio & steering wheel section again doesn't do anything.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2009.JPG
    IMG_2009.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_2010.JPG
    IMG_2010.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 570
Just checked 8p0 951 177 and its the internal alarm sensor!!
So ignore the Mic questions!
From This I assume no Bluetooth unit is installed. As Such
to Retro OEM install one from ebay I would need the:
1, Bluetooth unit + attached antenna.
2, Mic
3 Wiring loom? Question on this is; would there be the loom plug already present in the area where the Bluetooth Module unit sits under the passenger seat? so its a straight plug and play and installation of the mic to the roof console. ?
Or is it better to do the glove box fit and if so is there a loom connect plug for such to the Module to the Concert2 radio socket available?

Last edited:
Yes, to fit OEM Bluetooth you need module & antenna , microphone and wiring loom, as well as a car with the multi-function steering wheel!
In my case I needed the loom as it plugs into back of the stereo, so am sure you will need one too if car doesn't have factory Bluetooth.
Even though you can buy complete kits from EBay I found that generally the sellers were using the older modules (or were vague as to which module you got!) so I decided to source my own kit separately, it was a bonus that I saved about £30 in doing so.....
I bought the latest module (with antenna) that I could find via EBay and then the microphone 8L1 862 373 via Amazon.
The wiring loom was from a Polish seller (Carsystems.pl) again via EBay.
It all went together perfectly but I chose not to use the OEM location as I didn't want the hassle of taking either seat out or having to buy the box the module sits in!
I tried fitting the module behind the glovebox and behind the stereo itself as some posters have described successfully installing them there but I failed dismally! Just couldn't find enough space for it to fit securely in there.
I ended up installing my module to the right of the driver behind the panel in which the headlight switch sits.
It's a tight fit (positioned upright with antenna uppermost) but it works perfectly there.
Following the guides on here and other forums I found it quite an easy install, though yanking off the near side A pillar trim was the worst part for fear of damaging it!
The coding of it using VCDS was easy enough and incredibly the whole system worked first time, although the voice dialling is rubbish, so much so I never use it!
It's one of the better mods to do IMHO, really glad I did it to mine.
Good luck.
Edit; bear in mind these part numbers were suitable for my '07 model Sportback, I don't think there will be differences for an '09 but just be aware...

Last edited:
I have the steering wheel controls but I can't connect my phone to anything in the vehicle via Bluetooth. No AUX inlet anywhere and in the globe box where the 6disc changer would be is a docking station but it for the old iPods (30pin) so I can't connect it to anything to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the steering wheel controls but I can't connect my phone to anything in the vehicle via Bluetooth. No AUX inlet anywhere and in the globe box where the 6disc changer would be is a docking station but it for the old iPods (30pin) so I can't connect it to anything to use it.

Plenty of cars came with the multi-function steering wheel but no factory installed Bluetooth, my car included.
This means only the stereo controls will work off the wheel, pressing the mode or voice control buttons would return an error message in the DIS display , is that what you mean?
If so the only way to have Bluetooth phone operation (retaining the standard stereo) , is to either fit an OEM system as described in this thread or an aftermarket one e.g Parrot etc.

Yes, to fit OEM Bluetooth you need module & antenna , microphone and wiring loom, as well as a car with the multi-function steering wheel!
In my case I needed the loom as it plugs into back of the stereo, so am sure you will need one too if car doesn't have factory Bluetooth.
Even though you can buy complete kits from EBay I found that generally the sellers were using the older modules (or were vague as to which module you got!) so I decided to source my own kit separately, it was a bonus that I saved about £30 in doing so.....
I bought the latest module (with antenna) that I could find via EBay and then the microphone 8L1 862 373 via Amazon.
It all went together perfectly but I chose not to use the OEM location as I didn't want the hassle of taking either seat out or having to buy the box the module sits in!
I tried fitting the module behind the glovebox and behind the stereo itself as some posters have described successfully installing them there but I failed dismally! Just couldn't find enough space for it to fit securely in there.
I ended up installing my module to the right of the driver behind the panel in which the headlight switch sits.
It's a tight fit (positioned upright with antenna uppermost) but it works perfectly there.
Following the guides on here and other forums I found it quite an easy install, though yanking off the near side A pillar trim was the worst part for fear of damaging it!
The coding of it using VCDS was easy enough and incredibly the whole system worked first time, although the voice dialling is rubbish, so much so I never use it!
Good luck.
Edit; bear in mind these part numbers were suitable for my '07 model Sportback, I don't think there will be differences for an '09 but just be aware...
Thanks for the information that's clear now. I may just for the shear fun of it remove the passenger chair and see if the loom is present.... next weekend.

You can get an Ipod to Aux converter cable off ebay.

Good luck.
Spot on for the information, I have all I need now. I will for the fun of it remove the seat and carpet next week just to whats there.

I was lucky to find a OEM Module on ebay nearby me with the adaption cable and instructions too. Couldn't believe my good fortune in such a short space of time having given it a Test today looks like a bought a dud. On hooking up VCDS and following the guide, VCDS returned a non comms message and to many comms faults and Telephone not registered, repeated attempts by clearing all fault codes with no luck as the Radio & Steering Wheel section also reported non comms with the telephone module. Took the back off the module and inspected the card but no signs of shorts/blown circuit. So looks like I bought a dud.
Just checking to see if anyone else has had the same issue, but I'm sure its a dud unit.

Attachments

• telephone module part No.png
    telephone module part No.png
    145.5 KB · Views: 541
  • telephone no comms.png
    telephone no comms.png
    272.5 KB · Views: 516
TBH , for a 2009 car I'd have purchased a module at least the same age or newer to ensure everything was compatible with modern phones etc.....
Your module is very old being a 2003 version, so it could well be faulty?
All I can say is doing the job with my 2011 module the coding with VCDS was a breeze and everything worked 1st time.

Source a 2nd unit picture below, part number 8P1862335A, lots to be had in Manchester! Year of Manufacture 2011, hooked it up and instantly worked will pop it in over the weekend behind the Glove compartment as I doubt the loom will be there under the seat, speaking with a neigbour who works at Jaguar car manufactures,he says gone are the days of one loom as the 3rd party manufactures make taylor made looms.
Thanks for the help.
A3 Sportsback 09 8p.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 538
Just to add, I removed the passenger seat (right hand driver car), the space where the bluetooth unit (BT) would have sat. Its occupied by a replacement polystyrene block, which supports the vioid. My A3 has the steering wheel controls for telephone control but it wasn't included in the original spec which they term "Telephone Prepared" I thought they may have been the loom connector in the space but there isn't. If you did wish to site your BT here which is easy to get to, you would need the box fitting to hold the BT unit in place, which also offers support for when the carpet goes over it, Unless you use some sort of plate to bridge it. So probably the best place is behind the glove box. Also I used an old Microhone I had knocking around £5 off ebay type until my OEM version arrives in the post, it didn't work at first, it wouldn't pick up my voice and also gave a code error in VCDS, but I went into the Telephone 77 section - Adaptions - and to channel 128 from here the mic (volume) dB was set at 0-dB (zero), so I increased it to +6dB. This improved its performance and works OK can hold a conversation but sounds distance still, but I think with an original oem mic 8L186237A it will be resolved. Video link to increase the volume: should you wish to use it.

Sorry to interrupt on your thread.. i have oem bluetooth and voice command on my steering wheel but it has now stopped working.. did a scan on vcds and it came up with a fault for the voice recognition module but it froze when on module 77 for telephone.. does this mean my bluetooth module is fried and where abouts is the voice recognition module located.. my car is a 57 plate audi a3

If it freezes then obviously there is an issue with the comms to the unit or an issue internally, assuming all other areas of VCDS are enter-able and its not your calbe connection. First port of call is as always to check the cable connections to the BT & Radio and from there power down the unit either unplug it or disconnect the battery. Then again, try re-connecting. The voice recognition section must be within 77. Other then your steering wheel buttons being at fault, which are in the steering wheel section of VCDS. But I would assume the fault lies with the BT unit.
Finally to rule out/in you may need to connect a friends BT unit which will tell yes or no. I do have a BT unit on ebay ending tonight which is for spares or repairs as I'm unsure if its working or just not compatible with my Car you could waste £20 on this being a 2003 unit or buy a newer one c£50 with some haggling and if it works great and if not but it back on ebay.

cheers mate i will have another look tomorrow after work if i get chance.
so will any module fit and work as long as it is coded with vcds and will it use my original harness that i already have for my bluetooth?
ive just found this on a different site (may help others out)

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=867817

and my part number ends with a "k" - which says that it may get replaced under warranty due to faulty firmware

so it could possibly be my bt module at fault then