1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM air filter or aftermarket for 2.0tfsi 220ps?

Colin_88 Oct 12, 2018 at 12:24 PM

1. Colin_88

Colin_88 New Member

Hi guys,
    Just wondering if it's worth putting an aftermarket panel filter in my 2.0tfsi or just stick with OEM?

If anyone does suggest aftermarket what brand (k&n, ITG, Pipercross).

Apologies is this has been covered before.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. AudiB720TS

AudiB720TS Active Member

I would get the BMC panel filter.

4. Colin_88

Colin_88 New Member

Any particular reason?

5. AudiB720TS

AudiB720TS Active Member

It's generally considered the highest quality filter available I'd say. It's what I have on my car coincidentally ;)
    I have also used K&N and HKS on other cars.

6. Just Rob.

Just Rob. Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Brilliant Black Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V8 VCDS Map User Audi RS4 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S-line owners group Manual

just stick with a panel filter , unless your really worried about the small gain from re-useable type filter just stick an oem back in as they do work pretty well to be honest.

7. Baka

Baka Active Member

The B7 airbox and filter are pretty damn good as far as oem parts go, and can flow enough air for a huge increase in power. I'd just change the original fairly regularly with a decent paper filter.

8. jay1601

jay1601 Well-Known Member

S2000 airfilter just for the noise gains

9. Nozrul Islam

Nozrul Islam Active Member

Colin, I have the same engine and I too was contemplating on a "Performance" filter but after much research I came to the conclusion, £7 for a Mann (OEM), change it every year without the hassle of buying additional cleaner, time wasted cleaning it, it's no brainer.
    Besides no performance gains other than a bit of noise which you'd probably won't hear if the music is on.
    The airbox in our car is the exact same one on the RS4 with the same paper filter, so if it's good enough for an RS4 then it's good enough for our cars.
    Unless off course it's mapped then apparently it needs a performance one but I have no experience with that.
    My car is a standard family car with a slight woomphh and probably looks betterbut it can never be a S4 or RS4, mapped yes, but then with extra expense of replacing clutch, flywheel and God knows what else!

10. Bobbytea

Bobbytea New Member

I swapped mine out for an ITG unit and the sound difference is rather pleasant, a slightly deeper engine note and a little more indication of a turbo whoosh - as mentioned you probably won’t hear a difference with the radio on and windows up... but when you’re driving with any real commitment you probably won’t have the radio on as you’ll be listening out for any wayward sounds as an indicator of how the car is behaving.

No real performance gains, but I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Colin_88

Colin_88 New Member

Cheers for the input guys. Basically just down to personal preference then! Only a real requirement for aftermarket if the car is tuned, unless you want the slightly deeper engine noise.
    Think I'll just stick with stock for now then, if it's good enough for S/RS 4.

Looking at getting the intake manifold carbon cleaned soon, as I can't see any receipts for it being done in the past. That should do a world of good for the engine breathing.