Odd starting. Fuel pump suspected?

Gops

Badger 5 Edition
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys! We all know our fuel pumps are weak, I've been saying to myself that I need to change it all week. But something bizarre happened just not long ago. The car refused to start at all! Checked the fuse and it was ok. Called the RAC Just to be sure but when I put the phone down, I tried starting it again (after 5 mins) and it started!? I took it for a spin around the block and it felt fine!? Is this a sign of my fuel pump dying? I've read how to change them, doesn't seem overly difficult but how much are the pumps? I don't want to drive the car and do damage to my engine!

many thanks

gops

Yup, same happened to my mate, we drove to tesco to pick some crates up, come back and car wouldnt start, fuel pump was dead, t has been dieing for a month or so before hand but just went.

Damn! It's funny how it suddenly just came back to life?? Was it easy enough to change dani?

Got it from tps, gonna fit it! £191 inc vat and for anyone the part number is 8L9919051G

Reactions: JUS3IN
Good job you got that sorted gops. That your job for today?

I had similar problem on my a3 and found out it was the temp sensor... Did you manage to resolve it?

Yeah, the temp sensor I replaced about 2 years ago and it helped me alot! I tell you what, it's helped my idle! My car used to misfire a little on idle but it's now really smooth!

Gops was that price for the full pump etc?

Thats a bargain, which tps? Sheffield one wont serve me :(, haha

Coventry tps man! If you ever need anything, ill get it for you and give it when I come up or send it with my mrs!

Dude you are a legend :). When you next up? We need a mini meet!

Mine went recently, but mine had a really loud humming/buzzing noise, started at West Mids Safari Park and went on for about a month, filled up one day and went to start the car, nothing!!!

Called the AA, explained what happened, he whacked the fuel tank and it started straightaway....got the pump changed the next day all good then :)

Well, after all that it wasn't the fuel pump. I was out today and it did it again. Didn't start so I left it a few minutes until it finally started. Something feels its probably a sensor, CTS like harps said earlier or crank sensor. I changed my coolant temp sensor about 2 years ago to the new one so it shouldn't have failed already. I'm getting it scanned abit later on, will post my results.

Gops, where did u buy the temp sensor from? I had my fail when I brought it from Euro Car Parts... So got replacement from Audi direct, no that much different in price...

Lets us know when you find out what the cause is?

also remember that fuel filters are not considered serviceable parts - less than £10 for a fuel filter - may as well change it. Just had mine changed after 110k, fuel came out black and horrible

Sorry guys I forgot to write what happened! It wasn't the temp sensor.. I got it scanned from Arkon (Rob) and was the crank sensor. I got it from TPS for £84 with discount! Was a pig to fit thanks to the stupid SAI in the way but after doing the Harlem shake (as recommended by bill) to take the damn thing out, replaced and now it's working!

Harps I got the temp sensor from Audi last time, was only £13 or something iirc but I go TPS and always get genuine parts when it comes to sensors, pumps etc! Fuel filter gets changed every major service Alex, which is in 3k miles lol!!

Reactions: kwistof
really? ive just had my first one replaced at 110K after requesting it to be done

My audi a3 starting jittering, on the way back from tesco....the tesco jinx strikes

Anyway, it just cut off on me. Waited for AA and seen the crank sensor showing up on diagnostic. Great.

Garage job and Ill buy the sensor from an independent parts shop.