Odd shifting when going downhill

Sadiesmom

Reaction score
Hello all! I live at the top of an extended hill. When I drive down the hill, the transmission kicks into a lower gear, even if I am braking, and revs the engine. I know it's using the engine to break, but it seems a bit extreme - the rpms move from just over 1000 to about 3000. I usually use the paddles to move into the next gear. Is this because I am using the dynamic setting, because it does not seem to happen in the other settings. It just makes no sense to change drive settings to go down one hill. Thanks!!

Hello all! I live at the top of an extended hill. When I drive down the hill, the transmission kicks into a lower gear, even if I am braking, and revs the engine. I know it's using the engine to break, but it seems a bit extreme - the rpms move from just over 1000 to about 3000. I usually use the paddles to move into the next gear. Is this because I am using the dynamic setting, because it does not seem to happen in the other settings. It just makes no sense to change drive settings to go down one hill. Thanks!!
I have the same experience in my hilly neighborhood in my 2018 S5. I feel the abrupt downshift to second gear and higher rpm before the engine reaches operating temp is not optimal for the car, so I manually shift into 3rd for the downhill and avoid the drama.

Reactions: Sadiesmom
Thanks! That's what I end up doing. I did take it in to get checked, but they say its part of the software.