Odd request for I.D?

A3Tom

Smell my finger.
Reaction score
OK, so I was driving back from my other halfs this morning and needed to stop to pick up some smokes (yes I know, filthy habit etc etc:shrug:). I pulled into a garage and popped into the shop and placed my order only to be asked for I.D.

I was somewhat shocked by this so informed the lady that I am in fact 28 years old and that today is actually my 28th birthday (happy birthday to me).She told me that I needed to prove that I was over 25 to buy some fags and I needed to give her some I.D so I told her the legal age to buy them is actually 18 and not 25.

She still refused to serve me and kept asking for I.D so I told her that I have a credit card and a debit card on me with my name on but no other I.D. She then told me that these werent good enough and I needed to give something with a picture on it. The only bit of I.D with a picture on it is my warrant card (Police) for work (so no age). I told her I could show her my work I.D but she said "NO, THATS NOT GOOD ENOUGH, TO BUY THEM HERE YOU NEED TO SHOW US A DRIVING LICENCE, ITS POLICY" :wacko: . I then pointed at my car sat outside and told her I had driven it all the way here, on my own with no help at all and still no joy.

I told her that I thought it was odd and that I was clearly 28 (dont look a day under 40) and she still wouldnt serve me. I then asked her if they only sold fags to people who drive vehicles and she said "NO, THAT WOULD JUST BE SILLY" and rolled her eyes at me!!. I couldnt be bothered to point out the fact that if someone had to produce a driving licence to buy them then there's a fair chance they need to drive a vehicle of some sort :p so left her to it and walked out of the shop feeling a bit confused.

Over all very odd, considering I went to another petrol station a mile or so down the road and had no issues at all getting hold of a pack of cancer sticks.

hurumph!. :mad:

turn up in your work gear tomorrow ;)

Tom,I have to admit it is chuffin hilarious given your profession :)

oh and Happy Birthday Tom

She was an utter jobsworth, she didnt bat an eyelid when I mentioned the bit about selling smokes to drivers only!.

I might go in again in a few days, just for sport!.

T

I think that the retailers have been scared s***less with fines for selling smokes and alcohol to minors. As a result of this, all till operators are being told that if someone looks young to them, then they must ask for ID - better safe then sorry.

I'm 28 and don't think I look anywhere close to 20, esp when I don't shave, but my local Tesco cashiers insist on seeing my ID every time.

Lolll

Im glad they started asking for ID in a way as i started smoking when i was 14 and being 6ft on the time with a lot of facial hair, i never got refused! lol

I gave up when i was 17 though but im sure if i would have got refused when i bought them, i probs wouldnt have smoked so much!

A3Tom - take it as a compliment! lol

Happy Birthday dude....

Its quite insulting on one hand that you dont get served, but on the other hand it feels good!!

I remember a few years ago, when you only had to be 16 to buy ciggys and i must've been about 25 and was flatly refused!!!

Yeh you have to look over 25 now to buy alcohol....I bought a bottle of wine the other day and didnt get asked but the person at the counter gave me a good look up and down lol.

My sister was ID'd for cigarettes 2 years ago when she was in fact, 40. She pointed to the two teenagers out in the car and said "See those? Those are mine"

My sister was ID'd for cigarettes 2 years ago when she was in fact, 40. She pointed to the two teenagers out in the car and said "See those? Those are mine"

:lmfao:Brilliant.

I go into shops all the time to buy cigarettes hoping they'll ask me for ID. And I don't even smoke! :)
Never been asked once :keule:

Slightly off subject....
my mother has just turned the age where she gets her free bus pass. The other day she went to the post office to pick it up and as she approached the till, she was confident that the person serving her would say something like "Oh you don't look old enough to claim a free bus pass". However, she was slightly put out when the post office worker said.... "Is it a renewal??"
:)

I like this thread! :lmfao:

Not long after I turned 18 I went into Tesco and filled one of those small trolleys with goodies and some beer. I went to the checkout and the woman asked me for I.D. for the beer. I proudly pulled out my army I.D. card and showed her. She said no we only accept driving license, passport or birth certificate (?!). I showed her at the bottom that it had my D.O.B. on it and she agreed that I was over 18 but maintained that it was their policy only to accept one of the above!

I left every item on the conveyor and left the shop.

Policy before common sense.

A mate of mine was saying that he was in Sainsbury's and there was a group of kids infront of him (I say kids, they were 18/19). They had a DVD of Monsters Inc that they wanted to buy and the woman at the checkout asked for ID. Needless to say the group of friends were wetting themselves on the floor as their mate just got ID'ed for a kids movie! He didn't have any ID on him so he couldn't buy it!

Now I can't work out for the life of me why you would need proof you were 18 to buy a film thats a PG?! :think:

strange that are shops used to sell us gas when i was 12 years old and fags .....lol

I got ID'd recently going to a club - been going there for years lol at first, I was a bit shocked but then said "ah....makes me feel young again!"

The look on the doormans face was priceless!

I am 24 btw!

She was an utter jobsworth, she didnt bat an eyelid when I mentioned the bit about selling smokes to drivers only!.

This is VERY mean of me but am I the only person laughing at the fact that your the nice policeman and some jobsworth is being a stickler for the rules rather than using a bit of common sense....

Welcome to the real world my friend :p

I however, have never once been asked to prove my age as Ive always looked like an old miserable bastid...

This is VERY mean of me but am I the only person laughing at the fact that your the nice policeman and some jobsworth is being a stickler for the rules rather than using a bit of common sense....

Welcome to the real world my friend :p

I however, have never once been asked to prove my age as Ive always looked like an old miserable bastid...

You're right, you are being very mean :moa:

Did you know you have to be over 18 to buy a SPOON in Tescos?

My mum was asked if she was over 18 in a joking way when getting some a while back.

Its because they can be used as weapons. I cannot imagine anything more embarrassing than being stabbed with a spoon.

Did you know you have to be over 18 to buy a SPOON in Tescos?

My mum was asked if she was over 18 in a joking way when getting some a while back.

Its because they can be used as weapons. I cannot imagine anything more embarrassing than being stabbed with a spoon.

18?, to buy a spoon because it could be used as a weapon?.

I'm sure you could stab someone in the eye with a carrot if you tried hard enough, no more or less 'weapony' than a spoon.

I wonder how long it will be before you need a licence to shop?

my other halfs a tesco boss, one of the checkout staff is in process of gettin done for selling an under ager, ten grand fine possibly on the way, ouch................

Yeah spoon buying is getting out of hand. I blame peer pressure.

LOL!

OK well what about a pen or a pencil??

I have heard of kids using these as weapons....so does that mean a kid going to school, may not be able to buy stationary due to it being dangerous????

Sounds like a funny thread....Last year when i was 17 if i ever wanted to get into a club/bar i would always get ID'd but now im 18 i never get ID'd....
O well lol

I havnt read all the replies but i would say dont blame the lady, blame the chuffing morons who made it policy, she's clearly taking the **** out. I would too haha!

Happy Birthday for a few days ago Tom:)
I work in Tesco Head Office funny you bought this up. Last night had a late phone complaint and first person couldnt handle it so was passed over to me as the woman on the other end was kind of kicking off. She said she was 21 every time she went to the store they kept asking for i.d. And some times she not get her fags. She then explained she showed her, her DRIVING LICENCE which said d.o.b 21.
But she got refused as check out person said she had to be over 25 to buy fags.

Had to call the store then to remind them of tesco policy. Funny thing is spoke to the manager he said 'wait there i'll just ask one of the lads who working with me last night, adam you serve a woman last night for ciggie and ask her for i.d?'
Adam reply 'No dont ask for i.d'
Manager 'what do you mean no? You special or some thing? You trying to lose your job? What am i paying you for?...Start doing your job!'
Guy just made some stupid noises. And i laughed.

Basically if your lucky to look under 25 they ask you for i.d
Some stupid policy around man phoned up about a complaint regarding beer, decided he buying some with his weekly shop, lady at check out wouldnt serve him as his 13 year old daughter was with him? The guy said he 53!

All i can say some people are stupid. I got i.d the other day for rizzla (i dont smoke)

Ashley

I like this thread! :lmfao:

Not long after I turned 18 I went into Tesco and filled one of those small trolleys with goodies and some beer. I went to the checkout and the woman asked me for I.D. for the beer. I proudly pulled out my army I.D. card and showed her. She said no we only accept driving license, passport or birth certificate (?!). I showed her at the bottom that it had my D.O.B. on it and she agreed that I was over 18 but maintained that it was their policy only to accept one of the above!

I left every item on the conveyor and left the shop.

Policy before common sense.

I'm still waiting for some inbread halfwit to ask me that question and I'll do the same.
On a lighter note, got asked for ID to enter a club in America some years ago by a door man who looked about 12. I said 'look, I'm older than you and are you sure it's not passed your bedtime? (I didnt have any ID on me). His fellow doormen fell over ******* themselves and laughing at him. I got in though. :yahoo:

Something similar happened at a club in Belfast with me and the wife.

We were both asked for ID at the door, I as usual went reaching for my license (Im 28 btw) but the wife just said "Behave" and walked on past him. Shes 35.

IM WAITING FOR AN OP ON MY ARM I WAS IN TESCOS THE OTHER DAY WITH MY 21 YR OLD DAUGHTER SHE PLACED A PACK OF BEER ON THE BELT FOR ME CAUSE I COULDNT LIFT IT THE WOMAN SAID TO HER HAVE YOU GOT ANY ID I SAID ITS MINE I CANT LIFT IT GOT A BAD ARM SHE SAID CAUSE SHE LIFTED IT ON SHE HAD TO BE IDEED LUCKILY SHE HAD HER DRIVIN LICENCE ON HER OR WASNT GOING TO GIVE US THE BEER AND IM 43 :ohmy:

I can remember going on one of my first dates with a girl, I took her to play crazy golf at the local park (Smoooooth operator, me!!)

We rolled up to the guy in the shed that takes your money and I said to him "two for crazy golf please".
He looked at us and said "One adult" (looking at her), "...and one child" (looking at me). "£3 please". :faint:

I said, in the deepest voice I could... "nah mate i'm an adult too!"

Ended up paying an extra pound, but it was worth it to save the embarrassment. Not that it did!! :sob:

Never saw her again after that.:tumble:

I remember being stood in a pub, putting change into a cig vending machine.. When I was approached by a member of staff..

Picture this, 1 x pint a lager in one hand and a hand full of change in the other... Member of staff says, are you old enough to be using that machine!?

She didn't actually request ID, and was happy with my response of "Why yes, off course"

Funny thing being, I was only 17 so wasnt old enough to be holding the pint (which one of her colleagues had just provided me with) but was old enough to smoke...

Funny things..... Women :lmfao: