Odd rattling/vibration at low revs

BRISTOL86

Reaction score
Getting a strange kind of intermittent metallic-y rattle/vibration at low revs/idle. I’m hopeless at trying to trace noises but sounds to me like it’s coming from in front of me to the right as I sit in the car. Kind of glovebox/top of dash area but not convinced that it’s interior.

It’s most noticeable when I first start the car and engage reverse, as I’m pulling away but also noticeable in drive, mostly so at very low revs or when coasting after a period of acceleration - could just be the road noise masking it at higher speed or when actively accelerating.

Anyone got any ideas? It’s a 68 plate 1.0 TFSI 30

I have a vibration noise coming from the engine bay/bulkhead area of my MY19 S3 Saloon, really annoying, seems to happen at low Rev's and under heavy acceleration, the previous one (66 Plate FL) didn't do it, I honestly think this MY19 car has inferior build quality. Shame really as not convinced taking it to the dealership will make it any better after they've had a tinker.

I’ve noticed a buzz at low revs when car is in full dynamic mode and I’m pretty certain it’s the sound actuator. Anyone know where it is? Maybe needs clicking in place but sure someone is going to tell me it’s underneath the dashboard (my18 s3 btw)

The panel near your right knee, at the bottom of the dash, can buzz/rattle at low revs. Just press on it to see if the noise stops.

The panel near your right knee, at the bottom of the dash, can buzz/rattle at low revs. Just press on it to see if the noise stops.
yep I had the same rattle, it is the ODB port very loosely clipped in place, Either pack it out or relocate it.

So, my S3 is with Audi at the moment for this very issue. Only seems to happen when the box is in 'S' mode...

Anyway, the cause is... the fuel line to the engine has come away from the bulkhead apparently and has been 'buzzing'. How much faith I have in that, is well... zero. But thats what they've said.

So they need the car in for the weekend to fix it and take bits apart etc - she spends more time with them than at home with me lol.

So I've got an A5 TDI S-line to pootle about in. Not sure if that helps anyone, but give it a go. There is a TD1 about it because it's a known issue affecting MY2017-2019 cars.

So, my S3 is with Audi at the moment for this very issue. Only seems to happen when the box is in 'S' mode...

Anyway, the cause is... the fuel line to the engine has come away from the bulkhead apparently and has been 'buzzing'. How much faith I have in that, is well... zero. But thats what they've said.

So they need the car in for the weekend to fix it and take bits apart etc - she spends more time with them than at home with me lol.

So I've got an A5 TDI S-line to pootle about in. Not sure if that helps anyone, but give it a go. There is a TD1 about it because it's a known issue affecting MY2017-2019 cars.

Sounds a bit fishy to me. Why does something vibrate in the engine when a mode is changed. Surely at the same revs a mechanical noise will always be there irrelevant of being in sport or not. Hence me assuming the vibration is the sound actuator in mine as the volume cranks up in sport. Suppose I could try disabling the actuator and that would give me a conclusive answer

Just to bring this topic back to the top, I have had this issue since the day I picked up my 2018 S3 back in August. It has been to Audi (to both the Milton Keynes and Hitchin dealerships) three times but they have never managed to pinpoint the issue, despite thinking that it was in my door card and re-seating some parts there on one occasion. They have been most helpful in looking into the problem but, unfortunately, it seems to happen soon after I pick it up each time.

It definitely seems to be coming from behind the panel around the right knee area as far as I can tell - I have recorded one journey on my phone:

It's around three minutes of a journey home on the recorded file, at both 60mph down to 30mph, so it happens for me all the time, at both low and high revs, low and high speed. Do listen to the whole file if you can, as it comes and goes and gets louder and quieter at various points.

Is this the same vibration / buzzing that everyone else here is hearing? It is really irritating when you're on a journey when you don't want to crank up the music to disguise the noise!

I haven't yet tried packing the OBD port yet - I might give that a go and see how it goes.

@Mark_86 - how did your's go after it was in for the weekend a couple of weeks ago?

@boston909

Hi mate, got your PM aswell.

I'm struggling to hear the buzzing sound on my work laptop speakers, so I'll give it another go when I'm at home. But from what you've said, the issues sound different. I've had a few little annoying buzz's, rattles etc over the years.

From memory, this one could be the trim under the steering column - try placing your hand against it when you next hear the noise and see if it goes away.

The other one I had, was the seat belt holder on the B-pillar making a noise - so give that the same treatment.

My latest one was a more metalic noise, like a speaker not having the right connection. That proved to be a fuel line that was loose and vibrating against the bulkhead when in 'S' mode, but thats all gone now too.

If you know the road it usually appears on, try taking a Audi Tech out with you and showing them the noise.

Just to bring this topic back to the top, I have had this issue since the day I picked up my 2018 S3 back in August. It has been to Audi (to both the Milton Keynes and Hitchin dealerships) three times but they have never managed to pinpoint the issue, despite thinking that it was in my door card and re-seating some parts there on one occasion. They have been most helpful in looking into the problem but, unfortunately, it seems to happen soon after I pick it up each time.

It definitely seems to be coming from behind the panel around the right knee area as far as I can tell - I have recorded one journey on my phone:

It's around three minutes of a journey home on the recorded file, at both 60mph down to 30mph, so it happens for me all the time, at both low and high revs, low and high speed. Do listen to the whole file if you can, as it comes and goes and gets louder and quieter at various points.

Is this the same vibration / buzzing that everyone else here is hearing? It is really irritating when you're on a journey when you don't want to crank up the music to disguise the noise!

I haven't yet tried packing the OBD port yet - I might give that a go and see how it goes.

@Mark_86 - how did your's go after it was in for the weekend a couple of weeks ago?

Hi, that’s exactly the noise I get when off the throttle in sport mode in my also August 2018 s3. Mine is from 3500rpm down to 2000rpm but have noticed it happening when not in sport mode just not as loud. I’d love to know the fix. I have little confidence audi would do anything other than create a rattle somewhere else

Thanks @Mark_86 - it happens all the time, so the Audi techs will be able to hear it anywhere (again). Audi MK tried re-seating various parts of the trim to no avail. I'll try the OBD port padding as well.

@winrya - glad it's not just me experiencing this, although sorry to hear you've got it too. If Audi do fix it (ever) I'll let you know the source. :)

Reactions: winrya

Hey mate,
I just bought an S3 2019. I am getting the same noise. We're you able to identify the cause of this noise and fix it?

Hi, that’s exactly the noise I get when off the throttle in sport mode in my also August 2018 s3. Mine is from 3500rpm down to 2000rpm but have noticed it happening when not in sport mode just not as loud. I’d love to know the fix. I have little confidence audi would do anything other than create a rattle somewhere
Hey mate, were you able to fix this noise. It's happening in my S3 2019 and would really appreciate if you could guide me on how to stop this noise.
Thansk

Hey
check the MMI cover on the dash, mine was rattling when accelerating took me a while to figure it out,when you hear the noise put your hand on the panel that can come off and see if you can still here it