Odd Question - Best Wood For Garage Doors

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on making my own garage doors as a company want shed loads for them to supply me one so i am trying to find out what wood would be best for the job.

I'll admit to being a bit clueless about this one but most fences are made of pine and spend their life outdoors so that may beok.

I think I'd be cheeky though, and phone the expensive company up asking them what their doors are made of??????

you could use treated pine, because its cheaper, but wont last as long, so best bet is to use a hard wood such as teak, oak or beech but they are much more expensive but look much better are stonger and last far longer.

it depends on your budget and are you trying to buy them ready made or going to try make them yourself?

alan

Making your own garage doors sounds like a right ball ache.

I can't even be ***** to plane down re hang the bathroom door i took off 2 years ago, i'm paying someone to do that.

smitch said:
Making your own garage doors sounds like a right ball ache.

I can't even be ***** to plane down re hang the bathroom door i took off 2 years ago, i'm paying someone to do that.

u lazy ****** ........................................ :uhm:

garage doors easy, treated redwood, cheap and readily available, stain to any color u like, easy to work with also, as stated teak, and any hardwoods, more bucks, but very nice finish...

fingermouse said:
u lazy ****** ........................................ :uhm:

I live on my own, sort of got used to not having a door.

Birds don't like it much though.

The best wood for use outdoors is Teak, it will not rot no matter how bad you treat it, and is highly resistant to insect infestation.

Rob I am a chippy and if I was going to make garage doors I would use cherry wood its absolutely fantastic on garage doors. The timber is very much like oak but its got a rich colour to it. All the posh houses in America use this for garage doors, ive never actually worked with garage doors but ive used this wood for front doors and it looks the dogs ********!

TRS1 said:
Balsa :icon_thumright:

you ******, I thought I was going to be witty with my reply but you f----ed it up for me so im now going to open another Stella and then eat me eggs:hubbahubba: