Odd problem with door lock ,

AGB-S3

Reaction score
Odd problem with door lock ,

Close the door, first catch [ safety] engages , but then, fails to engage the main lock
springs back out , being held on the first catch

Push the door fully closed and the main lock engages

Recognizable fault ? or just unlucky ....

Is the door lock a complete ''unit'' catch and ''lock'' ??

Tnx -Graham

Reactions: Farmor00
Common issue... I have to shut my door several times these days to get it to shut...

Catch is an assembly but pretty sure they are obsolete

<tuffty/>

1000000000% not the correct item.

I bought one of these and it's nothing like the correct one.

Trust me on this. They've been putting up 8l in the listing for years and won't take it off.

Just changed the search , this show's , items located ilford uk , fits s3 according to the listing ?

but , picture is not the same as the German item ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-8L1-FRONT-RIGHT-DRIVER-SIDE-CENTRAL-DOOR-LOCK-ACTUATOR-1996-2004-9-PIN/161634423134?fits=Car+Make:Audi|Cars+Type:S3+quattro&hash=item25a229915e:g:RnQAAOSwFlJeS7P6

Not the correct item, the central locking in the S3 is operated by a vacuum, that's for an electrically operated system...

I ended up buying a used door lock from German ebay whilst being aware that their passenger side was our driver side; fitted fine

Last edited:
nice point about the driver side , vac system , my 80cd used vac to lock/unlock as well
ones on its way from Birmingham , hopefully better than the one I have ..
doors staying closed , just needs a two part action
bit like clunk-click every trip ...must admit
I liked the egg and the seat belt , add , better ..

So the end result is, your door remains permanently broken unless you fork out $130 euros. Nearly $250 Australian Dollars.

I only paid $500 aussie dollars for my A3.

I think i might 'take' the $7500 agreed insurance value.... gasoline and a match please anyone?

Hahahaha!

Reactions: Asim1
Not the correct item, the central locking in the S3 is operated by a vacuum, that's for an electrically operated system...

I ended up buying a used door lock from German ebay whilst being aware that their passenger side was our driver side; fitted fine

Alex, I'm looking to get a replacement lock mechanism from German ebay as you did. Do you have a part number or link to where you bought yours from please fella?

Regards Craig

That number is bringing up various hits , useful to know -)

Yes the lock was from breaker, its separate to the key etc, worked fine for a while but , now if the sun heats the door up - the interior light stays on- its the same age as the car ..