Odd noise! S3 HELP!

Spiezels

Reaction score
What the ****** **** is this all about!?

Sounds like a diesel, pulled over after a long journey (couple hundred mile) and it sounded like that, so I had a look.

Did it for about 10 mins then stopped. It’s been back briefly since but goes after a while.

Oil level fine (slightly on the low side but not in Min yet)

No fault codes.

HELP!!

Had my timing belt, drive belt and water pump and bits done about 6k ago.

Is it separate?

Excuse my ignorance! Know the very basics.

@sameulh_888

Standing at the front, looking at the engine the timing belt is on the left. The cam chain is on the right. It's a bit of an odd set-up but thats Audi.

The chain and tensioner is c£500-600 from memory.

It may not be this but from the video you posted the rattle did seem to get louder when you moved to the right. Best get it seen to before driving too much, if not just for piece of mind.

That engine does not sound like it's having a good time...

Try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from as form the video it's very hard to make out. Use a large screwdriver and put it against the engine all around it, while listening through the handle on the other side. Once you know where this noise is loudest, it will help to narrow things down a bit.

Ya know when you just have **** luck...

Skint this month as so many weddings and stag doos’ then some **** side swipes one corner of the rear bumper while parking (wasn’t there to see it) so I’ll fork out... now this.

**** sakes

Always helps if you can give details like milage

Always helps if you can give details like milage

Ah sorry.

So 47k,
Well looked after,
Cambelt, water pump and all that done about 6-7k ago,
Recent full service and MOT and terraclean type thing,
Was running fine, just heard it after a long journey.
No fault codes.

Well i cant think why a cam chain tensioner would be shot at 47k and why it would sometimes be fine.
Just my 2p's worth...