OBDEleven

Hi guys, I've just received my dongle today. Think I'll attempt disabling VIM tomorrow. Has someone done it before? Is it straight forward?
Thanks,

Dan

Hi guys, I've just received my dongle today. Think I'll attempt disabling VIM tomorrow. Has someone done it before? Is it straight forward?
Thanks,

Dan
What year is your car?
Doesn’t work with facelifts as far as I know.

Reactions: DanZ
Err ok then:
Screenshot 20190105 192539

The VIM app will not work with MID 2017 vehicles onwards, or if you have an MIB2 vehicle which has had a firmware update since collection.

My car is a 15 plate A3, not sure re MIB? As it's the low res screen one I guess it's the MIB1?

My car is a 15 plate A3, not sure re MIB? As it's the low res screen one I guess it's the MIB1?
MIB1 is in all PFL vehicles. You have the MIB1 Standard, also know as RMC. This unit does not have a DVD video player and cannot decode video media from SD Cards. If you are looking to use VIM you will only be able to do it via an AMI connected device.

I'm looking to disable VIM only to be able to cast my phone to the car's infotainment. It's the only acceptable (price wise) way to get some form of navigation on the car's screen imho. Obviously activating the car's own navigation is more elegant but paying £600 for it it's too damn much for what it is. Not worth it for a car with MMI low.

I'm looking to disable VIM only to be able to cast my phone to the car's infotainment. It's the only acceptable (price wise) way to get some form of navigation on the car's screen imho. Obviously activating the car's own navigation is more elegant but paying £600 for it it's too damn much for what it is. Not worth it for a car with MMI low.
With the correct cables / parts you should have no issues doing this once VIM is activated.

Already have the cables/setup, tested and working until the car starts moving. The only drawback is that you can't have the car's radio/mp3 player in the background, so have to play audio from the phone too, not sure of the quality tho'.

Already have the cables/setup, tested and working until the car starts moving. The only drawback is that you can't have the car's radio/mp3 player in the background, so have to play audio from the phone too, not sure of the quality tho'.
You are all set then :)

Yer, that’s one drawback however there are loads of Radio app’s available and with the “quality” of most of the broadcasting these days people are normally just using a streaming service anyway.

Only one thing left: plug the dongle in the car and disable VIM. Still haven't done it as I'm not sure how it's done yet and have read that you can do harm with this app if you don't know what you're doing. I haven't purchased the Pro option for coding (which I think it's out of my league) just 100 credits for VIM. Can't find a video on youtube which shows a 'how to' for dummies, there are a few but i'm not sure if they are ok.

Only one thing left: plug the dongle in the car and disable VIM. Still haven't done it as I'm not sure how it's done yet and have read that you can do harm with this app if you don't know what you're doing. I haven't purchased the Pro option for coding (which I think it's out of my league) just 100 credits for VIM. Can't find a video on youtube which shows a 'how to' for dummies, there are a few but i'm not sure if they are ok.
Cannot help you there as personally I hate it. I was sent one to trial and the first app I used for testing, on a golf mk6, failed so I put it back in the box. As far as I am aware you need to connect up, pick your vehicle, select apps and then VIM and away you go as long as you have the credits. The VIM app should be safe to be honest as loads of people have reported no issues. Personally I would not touch much else.

Am sure someone with more experience of the app will be able to give better guidance.

Thank you. I will post here the results. I hope I won't need your expertise after this! :))

It’s fairly simple. You don’t need pro. Pro let’s you code modules like vcds but personally I prefer vcds as I don’t think the labels for the modules are as good.
Plug in and run the apps. You need a Wi-fi connection to the tablet or phone you are using as the for some strange reason it needs internet connection before you can do anything.
Then click on app and press tick. It is that easy.
100 credit is like a fiver so not terribly expensive.

ODB11 pro pack was selling for around £56 with the pro activation and 200 in credits. Have one on the way...

Update:
The app works and seems very easy and user friendly even for an inexperienced person like me. Managed to unlock VIM, optical parking system, DRL settings in head unit and static cornering lights. Just click and that's it. It even tells you if some of the apps are not compatible with your car.
However, went on a test drive with my screen casting contraption and the damn chromecast disconnects every time the Google Maps app makes a sound. Checked on the TV and it does the same. Annoying as I've jumped through all these hoops to get some form of navigation on the screen and now this?? Not sure if someone got a way around this too?

Reactions: cuke2u
DanZ
I've been looking at the OBDeleven as it lists the mods that id like to do but like yourself I'm a little nervous as I have no experience of carrying out this sort of stuff.
Is it fog lights enabled as cornering light? Do these only work when the main beam is on and between a certain speed. Do they come on with the indicator or only when the steering wheel is turned.

thanks

I was nervous too at the beginning but you'll be fine. It's pretty straight forward if you stick to apps. Coding is for pros tho'.
Re the cornering light, I think you are correct with the description.
Dan

Just a little example of what can go wrong with this app, this Irish Audi A6 owner reached out yesterday as after trying to use OBDeleven to code needle sweep and a couple of other bits including VIM. His vehicle now only speaks and displays German and all language options have been deleted. Audi have seen the car and have not been able to solve the issue.

IMG 0283 IMG 0282

Just a little example of what can go wrong with this app, this Irish Audi A6 owner reached out yesterday as after trying to use OBDeleven to code needle sweep and a couple of other bits including VIM. His vehicle now only speaks and displays German and all language options have been deleted. Audi have seen the car and have not been able to solve the issue.

View attachment 173178 View attachment 173179
Curious what he did? Was it one of the apps he ran?
It’s definitely the biggest **** up ive seen for obd11.

Was via app's usage, and I have seen a lot worse lol

Never been too keen on the apps as I don’t know what’s it doing or how it’s doing it like via long coding or adaptation. Seen a few muck ups with people changing long coding/adaptation they know nothing about(but feature sounds cool) but they can all be easily reversed like using vcds. Only use it cause it convenient and works off a small tablet/phone but my go to is vcds as I’m not convinced the labels on obd11 are up to date.

well, seems I got away untouched :)
Not sure why your customer used coding to activate needle sweep rather than the built in feature?

That’s what worries me about OBDeleven, Could the person possibly have selected the wrong car details when setting it up?