OBDEleven and autohold

Manity

Reaction score
Hi all ive just received my OBDEleven pro and i want to activate autohold in reverse. i cant seem to find the adaption option. does anyone know how to do this maybe with the long coding perhaps cheers.

Ahh nice one cuke2u think ive found it on your first link im hoping autohold is (automatic parking brake). will have a look on the car tomorrow.

Automatic parking brake also in reverse gear (MJ18)

Automatic parking brake also in reverse (MJ18) [ edit ]
Address 03,8W0 907 379 M, Adaption channel IDE08134 - Change automatic parking brake from 'not activated' to 'activated'

Access authorization 40168

Last edited:
Reactions: cuke2u
What confused me was that you wrote autohold not parking brake. But we got there in the end and all is well and good if it works...

What confused me was that you wrote autohold not parking brake. But we got there in the end and all is well and good if it works...
it was the autohold im trying to activate when in reverse. my 2016 A6 autohold stayed on in reverse unless the button was pressed, and im trying to see if i can do the same with the A4.

i already activated the parking brake when stopped using OBDEleven earlier, was hoping the link you shared was for the autohold will check tomorrow.

WesT-geful mine is a auto box i dont think the earlier A4`s came with autohold as standard its a great feature im pretty sure all A4`s come with it as standard now.

As far as I understood all A4's come with hill start assist but I didn't know it doesn't work in reverse. All my cars have come with the additional hill hold assist, which comes on and stays on whatever the car's direction...

I see would it be possible for a couple of you guys to have a quick check next time your in your cars to see if the autohold button stays lit when in reverse thanks, if they do might be an issue with my autohold.

Can we just clarify the termology here because auto hold is not the Audi description. Referring you to my #7 post which of those do you mean.? It is hill hold assist that has the extra switch and a light, not hill start assist which has none of those.
As I stated, my hill hold assist works fine, with the light on the button permanently illuminated, in all directions. Below is Audi's description of both:
Hill-start assist

The hill-start assist function helps you drive off on a hill.

If you hold down the foot brake for a time when the vehicle is stationary, the brake pressure is retained for a brief moment after you release the brake pedal – helping a relaxed start on any hill or incline with no roll-back. As you change from the brake to the accelerator, the car remains stationary for long enough and – thanks to the system’s automatic braking intervention – you can easily pull away without rolling back. Hill-start assist is a particularly valuable feature in combination with a towing bracket.

Audi Hold Assist

Audi hold assist keeps the car stationary once it's stopped and automatically prevents it from rolling on uphill and downhill gradients.
During stops on uphill and downhill gradients, Audi hold assist holds the car stationary for as long as needed.
It's activated by pressing a button and allows the driver to set the car in motion smoothly without having to use the handbrake at all. If the vehicle remains stationary for a long period with Audi hold assist active, the system automatically switches over to the electromechanical parking brake. There's no need to operate the handbrake to pull away.
Audi hold assist is part of the ABS-ESP control system. After you release the brake pedal, the hydraulic pressure is maintained, meaning the hydraulic system keeps the brake pads pressed against the brake discs at the front and rear.

During this process, the electromechanical parking brake is not in operation. This means a quicker reaction time, less noise and less braking effect at all four wheels, and enhanced comfort. Audi hold assist is only available in conjunction with the electromechanical parking brake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manity
Yes its the Audi hold assist I mean the button just to the left of the handbrake.

It comes on fine in foward but as soon as I select reverse it goes off and wont stay on until park or a foward gear is selected.

Yes its the Audi hold assist I mean the button just to the left of the handbrake.

It comes on fine in foward but as soon as I select reverse it goes off and wont stay on until park or a foward gear is selected.

I can confirm that is how it works on mine.

Reactions: Manity
So it's not just mine then cuke2us works both directions maybe they changed the software on later cars what year is yours cuke2u?

That is most strange..

Found this rather old thread and was wondering if anyone succeeded in enabeling auto hold when the car is in reverse?

My MY21 car does indeed turn off autohold as soon as I put the car in reverse. I always reverse into our driveway and it’s annoying that I need to put the handbrake on manually when parking at home but not in most other scenarios where the car is usually in D while parking.

Do you need the handbrake hold while still reversing or at the end of parking when you turn your engine off? If it is at the end then you can code with obdeleven to automatically put the handbrake on when putting into P or turning engine off.

Only the automatic handbrake part would be suffucient for me. If it works to just code auto handbrake and that solves the problem I’m fine with that although it still seems wierd that the holdassist disengages in reverse in the Audi when it works fine in all the other VAG cars with electronic handbrake.

Morning all

Just reading these posts has made me ask myself if I should get the A4 B9 version as I've seen that Auto Hold doesn't stay on when it reverses. Can anyone confirm this for me and if you can is it for all B9 versions of the A4 or is it up until MY2018 as I've seen on most pre MY2018 versions that there isn't a auto hold button on it.

Many thanks

If the hold assist button is not there the car does not have it. I don’t know if hill start is standard on cars that don’t have the hold assist option though. Here in Denmark the A4 is not fitted with the hold assist as standard even in MY21 - But the A5 is. It’s depending on the market.

If the hold assist button is not there the car does not have it. I don’t know if hill start is standard on cars that don’t have the hold assist option though. Here in Denmark the A4 is not fitted with the hold assist as standard even in MY21 - But the A5 is. It’s depending on the market.
Oh I see. Cheers for that