OBD2 bluetooth dongle but what android app?

mattyboy199

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle to generally pull stats off the s3, but what app should I be using? My smartphone os is android.

Matt

Torque is good, however there is another app called Carista too which is pretty good, free so worth a check, cant do stats but you can make changes and clear fault codes with it.

Torque is very good... the lite version gets you the basics for fault codes/clearing

I have used free torque lite for years on various cars, it can only read the ecu so cannot see abs or air bag faults. Shows pending and confirmed faults. I just bought the pro version since getting s3 as it can read boost pressure and bhp (apparently).
Helped identify misfire just yesterday.

Might send mine back for a refund and get one of these "trusted" ones. LOL

i got one of these as well - it tries to connect but can't in the end then asks me "are you sure your ignition is on"
booooooo

Its a strange one, its never quite clear if the adapter is connected to my android sony z1, when i disconnected it torque couldn't communicate with it. But when connected it just seems to go through loads of protocols & provide no data its frustrating. Are these adapters just crap ?

That looks pretty nifty, but compared to the price of the Torque app and the right Bluetooth adapter, I wouldn't say its worth the difference.

But I suppose it does say it also does the rake systems and the gearbox faults, sort of a cross with vcds usability almost.

for 50 bucks instead of 280 for vids does a whole bunch of stuff other dongles don't, and works with iPhone so win win really, have a Facebook page as well for support :)

Ignition on as in engine on? Or can just be turned to ignition?

Just ignition but I dont think it mattered on s3 compared to other cars. It runs through a load of protocols then "connected to ecu"
Maybe buy a different dongle - they are only 5-6 quid, it must be paired with the device otherwise you won't see those messages.
Still haven't tried the free version of vagcom yet to see what the abs issue is. I hope a wheel sensor, but reckon it is the longitude sensor, as only occurs hard acceleration or hard braking.

must add here that my unit does not show faults, always scans and comes up saying nothing amiss... vcds is the way forward here.

Just ignition but I dont think it mattered on s3 compared to other cars. It runs through a load of protocols then "connected to ecu"
Maybe buy a different dongle - they are only 5-6 quid, it must be paired with the device otherwise you won't see those messages.
Still haven't tried the free version of vagcom yet to see what the abs issue is. I hope a wheel sensor, but reckon it is the longitude sensor, as only occurs hard acceleration or hard braking.

lat and long sensor are the same part. you can swap to diagnose i believe.

I have vcds lite and usb orb2 cable, it does do alot more. But didn't find my CD err1, and also didn't find abs fault, but light wasn't on at the time, then my laptop got its knickers in a twist over com ports availability.
The torque app is a plaything, and can go on any car since 1997.

Screenshot 2015 11 09 20 10 43
Is the HP option on the android torque pro app relatively accurate? It shows 191@5395 (or similar) which seems plausible. I will say it looked fine on my mates panda until he took foot off gas pedal going down a steep hill, when it jumped too 100hp.