OBD

Bryant1998

Reaction score
Alright lads I’ve never tried to do any coding or anything before, but I’d like to give it a go following other threads and YouTube vids etc

I’m curious to what software people use for coding? I found the OBDELEVEN site and saw it’s highly recommended but I have an iPhone X and MacBook Air so I don’t think I can use it?
Anyone else in the same position or able to advise what software to use?

Mainly just want to be able to clear minor codes (got rear licence plate light code on atm) and see what extras can be unlocked etc

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OBD Eleven only works on Android.
No idea what else you could use as I don't think VCDS is compatible with Apple products either.

OBD Eleven only works on Android.
No idea what else you could use as I don't think VCDS is compatible with Apple products either.

Great , is there a difference between the android app and running it on a laptop? ie are the features/customisations the same

iOS support is coming for obdeleven. Can't remember the exact date but it's fairly soon if I remember correctly.

Just to let you know that for the 8p there is not much 'unlocking' to be done unfortunately. I wanted to do stuff like mirror dip (when reversing) and needle sweep but none of them actually were doable for my car at least. Dont know what can be done with vcds on that end, but I havent seen many 8p owners sharing any successful stories with obdeleven.

With that said, its still extremely useful for monitoring your car health and clearing faults. You can also read live data and even record graphs with that data. But if you're just a tiny bit OCD with your car, it can become quite time consuming :D

Just to let you know that for the 8p there is not much 'unlocking' to be done unfortunately. I wanted to do stuff like mirror dip (when reversing) and needle sweep but none of them actually were doable for my car at least. Dont know what can be done with vcds on that end, but I havent seen many 8p owners sharing any successful stories with obdeleven.

With that said, its still extremely useful for monitoring your car health and clearing faults. You can also read live data and even record graphs with that data. But if you're just a tiny bit OCD with your car, it can become quite time consuming :D

I’m really new to the idea of all this stuff, what’s the difference between vcds and the obdeleven?

I’m really new to the idea of all this stuff, what’s the difference between vcds and the obdeleven?

Never used vcds and I'm no pro at this stuff either but the way I see it is obdeleven is more convenient with its UI and wireless whereas vcds is more complete and intimidating I guess. Also obd11 will often redirect you to the ross-tech website for reference.

Also it's worth mentioning that to use obd11 you'll need an internet connection at all times.

Never used vcds and I'm no pro at this stuff either but the way I see it is obdeleven is more convenient with its UI and wireless whereas vcds is more complete and intimidating I guess. Also obd11 will often redirect you to the ross-tech website for reference.

Also it's worth mentioning that to use obd11 you'll need an internet connection at all times.

So realistically I’d be better off buying some vcds software and a cheap laptop to go with it? Internet isn’t a problem I’ve got tonnes of mobile data

Depends on what you want to achieve with it but if you plan on doing simple stuff like what you mentioned in your original post, OBDeleven will be more than enough, cheaper and possibly more convenient. For exemple, I have obdevelen running on my phone while I'm driving so I can look at live data. Personally I would wait for OBDEleven iOS support. Here is the announcement from the forums:

We heard your requests for iOS and we want to share some information with you:

• We’re in PRE-ALPHA stage with software
• BETA release is scheduled – 2019 Q1
• There is going to be NEW hardware released (our current device does not support Bluetooth Low Energy)

Hope this clarifies your concerns regarding iOS on OBDeleven.

Carista supports iOS, but for best functionality, other than VCDS, OBDeleven Pro license is great.

Carista supports iOS, but for best functionality, other than VCDS, OBDeleven Pro license is great.

So I’d just be better off getting vcds software then? With a cheap laptop? Either that or wait for iOS obdeleven which isn’t as good as vcds?

So I’d just be better off getting vcds software then? With a cheap laptop? Either that or wait for iOS obdeleven which isn’t as good as vcds?

VCDS is the most powerful option, but while the software is free to download, the hardware is quite expensive. I will have my VCDS cable for sale soon as moving away form VAG cars, but there are always a few cables about for sale here or on eBay. They hold their value well, so if you buy it, do what you want with it and sell it on, you are not likely to loose any money.

Whatever you do, don't buy the cheap hacked cables - they are illegal and do nothing to support the guys who make VCDS - that's not an easy job. Oh and they don't always work all that well.

For the price of a Genuine VCDS cable, you could pick up a used Android phone and OBD11 dongle to leave in the car.

IMO, yes. They are not far off VCDS, and in all honesty the things VCDS can do that this can't is probably best left to professionals anyway.
You can log any data you want, scan and clear codes, re-code some stuff, it's such a flexible tool. I coded my rear lights to come on with DRL's using it.
When you can do all that OBD11 will let you do for what it costs, it starts to make VCDS look very expensive and dated IMO.

IMO, yes. They are not far off VCDS, and in all honesty the things VCDS can do that this can't is probably best left to professionals anyway.
You can log any data you want, scan and clear codes, re-code some stuff, it's such a flexible tool. I coded my rear lights to come on with DRL's using it.
When you can do all that OBD11 will let you do for what it costs, it starts to make VCDS look very expensive and dated IMO.

Appreciate the info, also have no clue about androids, will I need certain software on an android phone to run the obd app?

The OBDeleven app is available from the google play store. The free version gives you access to most of the app but not to long coding, for which you'll have to buy the pro version.

I bought the basic version first (just the dongle that connects in the OBD port) and then bought the pro app from the google play store.

Reactions: Bryant1998
To the user the Android Google play store, works exactly like apps on Apple store but a bit easier to get and usually there are free versions available that may be limited but not always, often just with ads and ad free for the paid version. Android is way better in my opinion having had both.

Appreciate the info, also have no clue about androids, will I need certain software on an android phone to run the obd app?
I can't see any mention of a minimum firmware to use with the app, but if you look around for something with the most recent firmware within your budget you should be fine.
I have just installed it (but haven't tested it) on my Android Tablet running 6.0.1 ( Marshmallow).
It runs fine on my Car head unit running 8.0.1, and my Huawei P20 Pro works fine running 9.0, so as long as you get something relatively new it should be ok.

I have to say that Vcd's is the way to go for a 3 vin hex v2 cable £225 and that's for life and it will do any age off car and if you so happen to use the 3 vins you can easily upgrade, plus you have the use off the Rosstech forum once registered where you find out heaps off info on how to use the cable .
Now the reversing mirror dip can be done , the Auto Folding mirrors can be done and there is a few other mods that can all be done with Vcd's but I can't be a 100% sure the Obd eleven can do these things

To the best of my knowledge, you don't have a 3 car/VIN limit on OBD11, I had 3 on mine up until a few days ago and then removed 2 of them as i no longer need them in my 'garage'.
Was there any hardware requirements to make the mirrors work? If not, share the guide you used and i'll look into it myself.
I'm fairly confident that OBD11 can do what VCDS can do, and when you consider that the OP also needs to buy a PC before the £225 cable, it makes far more sense to buy OBD11 Pro for £70 and buy a cheap used phone for £100 and enjoy the change, IMO.

To be honest it’s an investment to me so I’d rather pay and extra £100 to get a laptop than a old phone, can get some really cheap laptops these days with good software. Also makes more sense to me to buy the laptop as I’ll never have to take it somewhere for them to use their diagnostics cable and software and get charged a bomb for it

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
To the best of my knowledge, you don't have a 3 car/VIN limit on OBD11, I had 3 on mine up until a few days ago and then removed 2 of them as i no longer need them in my 'garage'.
Was there any hardware requirements to make the mirrors work? If not, share the guide you used and i'll look into it myself.
I'm fairly confident that OBD11 can do what VCDS can do, and when you consider that the OP also needs to buy a PC before the £225 cable, it makes far more sense to buy OBD11 Pro for £70 and buy a cheap used phone for £100 and enjoy the change, IMO.
Mirror dip you need a new mirror motor and for auto folding you need auto folding mirrors and new modules, these new modules do the dip and auto folding , plenty of posts in how to do in forum

Mirror dip you need a new mirror motor and for auto folding you need auto folding mirrors and new modules, these new modules do the dip and auto folding , plenty of posts in how to do in forum
Ah, ok.
They way you worded it in your last post made it look you simply needed VCDS and it could be done. I didn't think that was the case which is why I asked for more info regarding hardware.

Ah, ok.
They way you worded it in your last post made it look you simply needed VCDS and it could be done. I didn't think that was the case which is why I asked for more info regarding hardware.
It's the vcds that makes them work by allowing you to change the coding which I am not sure if Obd allows you too , Obd is good for its price if you just want to do minor things to your car but is limited where as Vcd's is non limited so in the long run a better tool IMO

It's the vcds that makes them work by allowing you to change the coding which I am not sure if Obd allows you too , Obd is good for its price if you just want to do minor things to your car but is limited where as Vcd's is non limited so in the long run a better tool IMO
I don't know where you get the idea from that OBD11 can't code things, I have coded stuff myself. It's a very capable tool.
As I asked in my original post, if it was simply a case of coding then I would try it myself using the same guide you have used and my OBD11 tool, but you can't simply code it without the hardware and you didn't provide the guide that you used, so it's impossible to say if it will or wont allow it to be done.
I think you are trying to justify the extra cost of VCDS without any actual factual knowledge of OBD11's capabilities.

Reactions: samisnake
Vcds with a 3 vin limit plus the cost of a laptop vs obd11 and any android for a private user is crazy.

Long coding will be the same between them all. I use vcp and refer to rosstech info for details! Go with the cheaper option

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Lads I fully understand why you enjoy Obd and I have said it is good for certain things and it has limitations as you have said yourself , and as the OP said himself he finds in the long run that vcd's with laptop would be better for him so me personally think it's a good move .
As for the Mirror dip just look in the forum it's there, all you need to know and as for the Auto folding again it is in the forum all you need to know . You will need 801P + 802P modules then you just fit and code from there .
What I might do is see if anyone close to me has OBD and see if it can code my mirrors ,