OBD Theft protection?

randy4

Reaction score
Hi Guys

What has everyone done in regards to OBD theft protection for their cars?

Thinking about the Autowatch Ghost at the moment or are you asking for more security systems

Reactions: S32B and randy4
What does this even mean?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
OBD is the port which laptops etc can plug in to, I believe OBD protection helps prevent thieves starting cars using signal boosters for advanced key cars (ie key signal detected means the car starts).
Also prevents thieves messing about with the electronics to start it, if they do it's detected and then the tracking company alert you etc

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

OBD is the port which laptops etc can plug in to, I believe OBD protection helps prevent thieves starting cars using signal boosters for advanced key cars (ie key signal detected means the car starts).
Also prevents thieves messing about with the electronics to start it, if they do it's detected and then the tracking company alert you etc

Yes that’s it. I’ve had a few friends had their cars nicked or attempted theft by either thieves breaking into the house and steeling keys or a copy key created and hacking the OBD to take the car. The latter meaning no entry is required to the property.

It bothers me a little that this is becoming popular. My house is pretty well protected but I’m concerned about when I park up elsewhere that I may come back to no car.

For those who have a car that stands out what have they done to protect the OBD risk?

For example I hear you can get an OBD lock box or relocate the OBD port to another location!

Yes that’s it. I’ve had a few friends had their cars nicked or attempted theft by either thieves breaking into the house and steeling keys or a copy key created and hacking the OBD to take the car. The latter meaning no entry is required to the property.

It bothers me a little that this is becoming popular. My house is pretty well protected but I’m concerned about when I park up elsewhere that I may come back to no car.

For those who have a car that stands out what have they done to protect the OBD risk?

For example I hear you can get an OBD lock box or relocate the OBD port to another location!
I've got a tracker which comes with OBD protection. As I understand it, it prevents tampering and if someone does it immediately alerts my tracker company who then alerts me, I can then check on my car / call the police etc. *Touch wood* I haven't had to test it out, and don't hope to.

Ghost, 100%. I personally believe a tracker only protects the insurance company from total loss, if some scum bag nicked my car, I wouldn't want it back!

Reactions: voorhees and Jassyo06
What does this even mean?

OBD = On Board Diagnostic port. It's the socket under the dash that connects to the car's electronic systems. Fitting extra security restricts access to it.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Sandra
Relocate your port by buying an OBD extension cable from eBay. Unclip your OBD port and connect the extension, tape it up and run the extended cable to your chosen new location, done. You could also buy a replacement port to act as a dummy. Some people connect 12v to all the pins :)

Reactions: AlS3BE
Relocate your port by buying an OBD extension cable from eBay. Unclip your OBD port and connect the extension, tape it up and run the extended cable to your chosen new location, done. You could also buy a replacement port to act as a dummy. Some people connect 12v to all the pins :)

Is there a way to set it up with more than 12v so whatever they plug in it will fry instantly:wink:

Can
Supply 12v to the wrong pins on a diagnostic tool will normally be enough to do the trick :)
knowing how forgetful I get I would forget about it going to the dealership and it fry there £££££££ vag machine:glee:

Reactions: oli356
Supply 12v to the wrong pins on a diagnostic tool will normally be enough to do the trick :)

I like that very simple but effective. According to the manual my e-tron traction battery depending on the level of charge, the voltage ranges between 280 and 390 volts :whistle2:

Reactions: AlS3BE
Isn't it a waste to try and do anything with the obd, when if the people really want your car, they will just intercept the transmission coming from your keyfob, with a repeater.

Get a GPS tracker, that would be far easier and let the police deal with it?? Don't know how bad it is in the UK so breaking into a car via obd seems foreign to me.

I have Ghost on my Audi and my son has it on his ST,my mate relocated his OBD on his RS Focus and the other opted for a disclock.
An all singing dancing Ultra HD 4K CCTV that can record a trillion gig of footage in any weather is undone by the oxygen thieves pulling their hoodie down and wearing a scarf.
Inconvenience is the key….a Faraday pouch for your keys,locked gates/garages with high security padlocks,a decent fence,PIR lights (independent of each other) PIR alarms that trigger when someone approaches the premises,security posts,the list is endless.

Reactions: randy4
I like the thought of overpowering the OBD that is a thing we’ve discussed in our office and know a few who’ve done this but you need to be really careful when having the car serviced or when you come to sell the car. I wouldn’t want to receive the bill for something like the destruction of some kit at a garage during a routine service!

In terms of intercepting the key fob transmission I think most who are clued up about this tech keep their car keys in a protective pouch and definitely something I would encourage everyone to buy if they don’t already know about this.

I’m going to check out Ghost I think I don’t want a monthly subscription to use a tracker unless the cost is covered by the reduction on my car insurance. All the physical protection elements I think I have covered.

I’ll look into the relocation of the OBD too I think that seems like a great solution. Probably not an easy job but worth a look.

Any info on the protective pouch please......could this just be a metal box??

Is the protective pouch not just a bit of advertising gimmick to get you to buy it?
Surely at some point you need to press the button or take it out to unlock your car and it will be at this point where the crooks will pick up the signal.
Like most things where there’s a will there’s a way.

Is the protective pouch not just a bit of advertising gimmick to get you to buy it?
Surely at some point you need to press the button or take it out to unlock your car and it will be at this point where the crooks will pick up the signal.
Think it's more the fact you'd keep your keys in the pouch overnight so thieves can't pick up the signal while you sleep. As I understand it.

Think it's more the fact you'd keep your keys in the pouch overnight so thieves can't pick up the signal while you sleep. As I understand it.

Exactly this, they can't just walk up to your door, steal the signal relay it to the car start it and go, as many videos online show.

This is then no different to a normal key, at some point you will walk up to the car and use a button, the signal can be intercepted in exactly the same way, I doubt many, if any actually unlock their car with the key itself!

This is also why people have other security mentioned however.

Personally I have made a customized solution, using some easily obtainable parts. It would be a real pain the backside to use the port unless you know the disabling process.

Lots of options out there though, start with stickers as they are a great visual deter-ant